Author Topic: Masters Sale  (Read 50062 times)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Masters Sale
« on: August 26, 2016, 06:31:11 AM »
So Masters so closing & 75Mil of goodies or up for grabs . Who wants to cash up & run in for a bargain   ??? l don't have a store anywhere near me so l will have to travel a few hours .l will bend the plastic if l see a deal .Some of their stock will be discounted slowly as they go to the XMass  finish   , are there any Swaggers that could popin from time to time & report on the $$ on stuff  ???
Asking Swaggers to go to a hardware store ,,,,,,,that shouldn't be to hard to do  ;D
l am looking for a few boxes of good steel drill bits , always handy & don't start me on power tools & stuff
                                           Road Trip coming up              :cup:                :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

scrapsD40

Masters Sale
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:43:55 AM »
I heard they're offering big discounts on cordless hammers. Will try and get some prices for you.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
Re: Masters Sale
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:17:31 AM »
I heard they are staring to offload the left hand tools 1st.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:20:09 AM »
I heard they are staring to offload the left hand tools 1st.

Finally  ;D

They so rarely come on sale.

scrapsD40

Masters Sale
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 07:33:30 AM »
Seems about left, afterall they're not massed produced and the tempering would be opposite
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:07:41 AM by scrapsD40 »

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:41:24 AM »
I have to ask, what is wrong with Masters?
Only went in there about 4 times and each time I thought it was wrong, there was something completely wrong about it that I can't put my finger on.
Perhaps its the fridges which just looked out of place.
Any clues what it is?
Then there is the no check out chick caper, so I'd use the garden entrance.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

scrapsD40

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 08:08:51 AM »
Woolworths executives were involved.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
Woolworths executives were involved.
Haha well said. ;D

I live around the corner from Bella Vista, whenever I drive on Norwest Boulevarde I have laugh in the Head Office general direction.

(For those who may not know, Woolworths national HQ is in Bella Vista).
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 08:57:30 AM »
I was a big fan of Masters. Our local Bunnings was a seedy looking place, poorly lit, poorly maintained (lots of empty boxes on the shelves or boxes with the wrong stuff in them) and stocked with disposable Chinese crap.

So a nice new store that was well lit, clean and well stocked with better quality Chinese crap.

When I was in the US for work I bought a bunch of Kobolt tools in Lowes with the intention of them basically being disposable, but I found the gear to be good quality for the $$ and they have lasted really well. So I was more than happy when the Lowes was plonked here with the Masters banner over the door. It is a shame that it didn't catch on though.
I'll still be shopping there until such time as they close.... well, my preferred store. Bunnings have some stuff that Masters don't, same for the local Home Hardware. The Mitre 10 is a joke and dear as poison.

It did make the local Bunnings clean up their act though. The seedy store has closed and they have built 2 nice new stores... 500m from the Masters and 5km from Masters.

In Springfield Central they built a Bunnings directly across the road.
2 massive hardware stores within 100m??
Really??
There is no denying that Bunnings made a concerted effort to crush the opposition.

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 10:20:44 AM »
I'm with you Hoyks, I think Bunnings are stocking more and more cheap cr*p, or huge amounts of the same stuff without much variety, and heaven help you if you want assistance. Masters does/did seem to have brands that Bunnings doesn't, and I shop at both to give myself the choice of brands.

I will certainly be sad to see them go, not only will great brands suffer less exposure, but having a giant company monopolise the hardware market won't be a good thing. "We'll beat any price by 10%" is going to be quite difficult to get if there are fewer stores in competition, which was obviously their aggressive strategy.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »
From Masters opening, it lost $hundreds of $Millions of $Dollars per year. It was a financial black hole. I live in Baulkham Hills Sydney and have no idea of the closest Masters - though I had up to six Bunnings within 15mins drive, so I never set foot in a Masters.

It was a poorly executed economic strategy in many ways:
 - taking on a big dominator in Bunnings was always going to be risky
 - product mix was weird - who goes to a Hardware store to buy a fridge? I'd head to Good Guys or Harvey Norman, and clearly so did most people.
 - They often set up where there was already an established Bunnings.

They just tried to replicate Bunnings to compete with Wesfarmers, but clearly did not do enough customer research as their sales were always poor.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

scrapsD40

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »
Found out yesterday that Metcash/Mitre10 Group are looking to buy Home Hardware/J Danks Wholesale from Woolworths and merge into a new combined independent hardware group under Metcash wholesale

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 10:46:15 AM »
Only went in there about 4 times and each time I thought it was wrong, there was something completely wrong about it that I can't put my finger on.
Any clues what it is?
have only set foot in Masters store once, because I have about a dozen Bunnings stores that are closer to my home then the few that exist. In saying that, I have a Bretts timber and hardware a kilometre from home, if it's timber I want I get it through them, but for bigger variety of handyman stuff and get from Bunnings. At work we use Hudsons, who were just bought by Home hardware recently, which means will now become Mitre 10.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »
I heard they're offering big discounts on cordless hammers. Will try and get some prices for you.

You mean like this one ????
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »

I personally think Masters is more of a home renovation store (Directed to the Female demographics) and Bunnings are more of a Hardware store. 

I have a Masters and Bunnings both 5 minutes from home and used to visit each store for different reasons. So for me it’s a shame Masters are closing down.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
Be interesting to see what happens to their sheds.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline monbeg

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »
Gotta wonder about some of these places sometimes !!

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »
Be interesting to see what happens to their sheds.
Bunnings are already setting up shop in a few sites.

Much of the land and warehouses have been bought out by a group of wealthy families.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »
Any clues what it is?

I put it down to an over-emphasis on homewares as opposed to hardware. I think it was designed to appeal to the female demographic which the vast majority of retail is, but if you have a look in bunnings, it is one of the few places that has predominately male shoppers. I think that not right feeling is going from bunnings where it is designed for males to feel comfortable (workwear and dirty clothes and all) to somewhere that is now more designed to make your wife more comfortable, it might be "nicer" but not necessarily something you want from a hardware store, you want to feel comfortable walking into get whatever it is you need halfway through a project without thinking I feel a bit to underdressed/dirty to go there.

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »
Gotta wonder about some of these places sometimes !!

that must be the premium you pay for 'keyed alike'  ???
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »
There is offcourse the influence of the Good Old USA , selling  " snow shovels " down under in January With stunts like that is it any wonder they went down  >:D                  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »
Quote from: speewa158
There is offcourse the influence of the Good Old USA , selling  " snow shovels " down under in January With stunts like that is it any wonder they went down  >:D                  :cheers:
I only went in there once or twice, but selling heaters in summer was never going to work... they worked on the US calendar.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »
I often wondered "WHY" -- Masters was so doomed...

I could not really fathom it...  The only thing that was a "real standout" for me - as a total goof up imho - was all the grey shelving...   Dated, and antiquated the place straight off - and you don't ever get a second chance - to make a first good impression...

And also - the below maybe another key reason - Masters did not look the part... 

Our local Bunnings was a seedy looking place, poorly lit, poorly maintained (lots of empty boxes on the shelves or boxes with the wrong stuff in them) and stocked with disposable Chinese crap.

AKA .....  "the Stack 'em high; and sell 'em low"   principle....
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 03:19:37 PM »
I often wondered "WHY" -- Masters was so doomed...

I could not really fathom it...  The only thing that was a "real standout" for me - as a total goof up imho - was all the grey shelving...   Dated, and antiquated the place straight off - and you don't ever get a second chance - to make a first good impression...
so flashy lights and pretty colours sells for you?
I couldn't tell you th colour of the shelves of just about any stores I go into.. strange....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: maca76