Author Topic: Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine  (Read 43746 times)

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
Just recevied an e-mail for an offer to subscribe to Pat's new magazine.

It promotes: far less ads, more content, authentic and honest editorial, plus other things.

I've really enjoyed his tv shows so I've subscribed and look forward to Issue 1!!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:26 PM »
I'm trying to think of something constructive to say but I can't....
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:52:30 PM »
Just looked at the website and I will be subscribing. I got bored with rest of the magazines so I will give this one a go...even thou he drives a Nissan

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »

'Constructivityism' it happens.  ;D

Offline cdustbehindme

• Tent User
  • Nothing like an Odysee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »
Have Pat and Roothy had a tiff  ???  I thought they both started out with 4wd monthly/action.....  Maybe we will see a duel later on.. is it through the same mag group??  
The perfect campsite IS out there.........

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »
I don't know if I will subscribe but I will definately give it a look. I enjoyed 4WDM before Pat left so let's see if he still has it.
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
Have Pat and Roothy had a tiff  ???  I thought they both started out with 4wd monthly/action.....  Maybe we will see a duel later on.. is it through the same mag group?? 

I heard it had more to do with Pat having a fallout with Express Publications.

I quite like the guy as well, so will have a look at his mag.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »

I've got one...less adds and crap in between the articles...yeh right!

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
If he crams as much advertising in his articles as he does in his videos, 30% will seem like 50% anyway.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:59:32 PM »
I'll wait for the first 5-6 to come out, see if its worth it, see how much over priced it is, see how much of th same old same old it is, then the ads will pickup then not subscribe.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 09:01:36 PM »
Is this on shelves now?? I've had a look and my local didnt have it, and hadnt heard of it.....or is it only those who have subscribed that have received copies so far???
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
Apparantly it will be in the newsagents from Nov 2nd.

Offline 9775Andrew

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 12:24:16 AM »
What a lot of TOSS

not one of these mags will outright state one product is better than the other. Dont know how many times I've bought an issue of a mag becuase of a "comparo" without the end result sayinf so long as you're out there.

no cred to any of them

just my two cents worth of course
We're Grey Nomads in Training

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 01:18:04 AM »
What a lot of TOSS

not one of these mags will outright state one product is better than the other. Dont know how many times I've bought an issue of a mag becuase of a "comparo" without the end result sayinf so long as you're out there.

no cred to any of them

just my two cents worth of course

I don't know why you feel they have to *decide*. They are there to put all the facts on the table and then lets us decide. Yes you have to read between the lines some times I agree. Of course there not going to say X is better than Y but they do tell you if one feature fails or does not do as suggested and they do tend to offer specs when they can. I just don't read a mag to be told what to buy. I do like to have all the facts they put together after a test.

It's to complex to state a winner when there are so many variables like a winch for example. One maybe cheaper but not as fast. One maybe not so good when under water but what if you live in a area where you never winch in water why would you pay for a Warn...

Just my two cents worth as well. No insults intended but I think we read to much into what the mags are trying to do which is bring to alls attention new products for consideration plus thoughts on what maybe best for X - X being what you do or I do which are never the same.

Also, and this is my main point. They just don't have to cater to you and me, those who have already got tons of stuff. They are writing for those who are now to the market for new gear and there are tons of those. Might seem wrong but when did any one really get any thing they didn't or think they didn't know from the mag.

I don't think it's all that bad. The new product reviews and stuff around that area, mods, laws etc are more than enough for me to but the mag each Month.

Pat won't do much different. He is a great guy and is like all of us in that he is passionate about the 4WD scene. But at the end of the day there will be similarities between the three or four mags no matter what...

Oh well. just IMO so no one should take offence please. If you do then you'll have to come to Broome to tell me  ;D
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 05:41:36 AM »
Last time I watched his TV show he was flogging everything, reminds me of Roothy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline qlddsl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 06:28:31 AM »
I don't know why you feel they have to *decide*. They are there to put all the facts on the table and then lets us decide. Yes you have to read between the lines some times I agree. Of course there not going to say X is better than Y but they do tell you if one feature fails or does not do as suggested and they do tend to offer specs when they can. I just don't read a mag to be told what to buy. I do like to have all the facts they put together after a test.

It's to complex to state a winner when there are so many variables like a winch for example. One maybe cheaper but not as fast. One maybe not so good when under water but what if you live in a area where you never winch in water why would you pay for a Warn...

Just my two cents worth as well. No insults intended but I think we read to much into what the mags are trying to do which is bring to alls attention new products for consideration plus thoughts on what maybe best for X - X being what you do or I do which are never the same.

Also, and this is my main point. They just don't have to cater to you and me, those who have already got tons of stuff. They are writing for those who are now to the market for new gear and there are tons of those. Might seem wrong but when did any one really get any thing they didn't or think they didn't know from the mag.

I don't think it's all that bad. The new product reviews and stuff around that area, mods, laws etc are more than enough for me to but the mag each Month.

Pat won't do much different. He is a great guy and is like all of us in that he is passionate about the 4WD scene. But at the end of the day there will be similarities between the three or four mags no matter what...,

Oh well. just IMO so no one should take offence please. If you do then you'll have to come to Broome to tell me  ;D
well said, the mags can be a greatr source of info for the newby and even the more expirenced.i havnt found the comparos biased at all, with some  cheap brand exceeding the well known stuff (also havnt seen the cheap stuff advertised in the mags) im sure pats mags will be of similar quality, as his tv series has been. SteveandViv, tried to convince the wife that i was offended, but only so we could go to broome ;D love it up there, was up there 6 years ago and was ready to move up the next day. cant wait to get back up there cheers wayne
if i dont need 4wd, i ain't going!!!

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 08:06:16 AM »
If everyone really wants a mag with great articles, good realistic product reviews, minimal advertising and great subscription offers, I can provide one ??? ??? ???

All we need to do is get some of the fantastic articles off the site, combine it with the wealth of knowledge here, chuck in the humour and shoot anyone who evens mentions electrickery.
Photos here are fantastic and abundant, all though Danbris' collection may have to be veto'ed !!!!
Some of his pics are a worry.
Speewa can be our editor ;D
Now if the positions open, I'll retire and do some product reviews and real life testing for a large fee >:D
Donations can be made from all manufacturers.
I'll start this month with a product review of the landrover disco 4, Kedron trailer, canon cameras, and all accomodation stops between Sideney and Broome. :-*

Assistants welcome to come along.......

Reporting back as soon as the funds roll in,
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »
a myswag mag ....... Id buy that!
lol
cheers chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 08:52:42 AM »
lol

What about the sub mag, Electrical  ;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »
What about the sub mag, Electrical  ;D

Great idea. And we can then do a *Comparro* on 6b&s cable  ;D
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
Great idea. And we can then do a *Comparro* on 6b&s cable  ;D

thats Gold!!!!! then we can have a flame war and then lock the thread, just to maintain consistancy.....

I'll just say this SteveandVic, that the mainstream mags do try and cater for a wide audience, but somethimes their "opinions" are pretty wishy-washy, and i think what we'd all appreciate is a bit more definitive comment from time to time.

Also, and slightly off topic, can anyone explain how they can decide on a "4x4OTY" or Ute OTY when they only review anything thats new or vastly changed? I reckon they should review All currently available models, not just the new ones. THATS what the punter who is looking for a new 4x4 wants to read. Not that the Navara is bette rthan the Disco 4 and the Triton and Ssangyong and the Lada Niva mk III because they because they are the new models this year. I"m not Land Rover fan (I dislike the things actually, a Massey Fergusson has more refinement than a Defender, but the Disco isnt bad) but the Defender never appears in these "Of the Year" things because it hasn't been upgraded in 2,000,000 years!! And they are a pretty good truck, well a tough truck, if you like tractors ;) but you get my point. a very capable 4x4. Why not just grab the top 10 or 15 selling (with maybe a few "guest" appearances from the lesser selling models or brand new ones so its not just a Toyota and Nissan festival) and have them fight it out. be a much better representation of the current market.........
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »
I've got one...less adds and crap in between the articles...yeh right!
Hi Morgue..In the words of ODD BALL out of the  Movie KELLY HERO's you need to chill out  and think positive :D
The last number of threads Ive read that you appear in you seem awfully depressed and negative..if youre not carefull you will end up turning into a grumpy old man.      Lifes great,  we all love you  man   ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:52:55 AM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »
lol

Can you imagine it?  I'd love to see darren's 'opinion' article on the last page...
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 02:16:12 PM »
Quote from: qlddsl
i havnt found the comparos biased at all
you dont read many do you?
-
Click to enlarge