Author Topic: Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine  (Read 43741 times)

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »
I bought the first copy. Good work! I read bits and peices and noted that it was very much like the Overland Journal. The I read the writeup on the contributors. All in all I thought it was pretty good. I can't see myself buying every issue, but I reckon I will pick one up every now and then.
2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »
Pat, on the magazine feedback.
I've probably not got much more to add, but a couple of things come to mind
Love the white space - makes for a less cluttered layout and more relaxing read.
Photography is excellent as expected with those names on the credits. Re the HDR, the only one that I found too overcooked was the one on p52.
The mono pics were great.  Mono can bring out so much more detail and mood in an image. I don't recall seeing too many in these type of mag before.
I liked the the fonts (especially the large titles - almost a country gothic feel to it?), but some pages seemed a little too mixed & matched with different fonts (eg p55)
$12 is not cheap, but if it is a quality read with less ads, and fully made here, then I reckon I can have a beer or two less each month to make up the difference. Well done.

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »
Pat, on the magazine feedback.
I've probably not got much more to add, but a couple of things come to mind
Love the white space - makes for a less cluttered layout and more relaxing read.
Photography is excellent as expected with those names on the credits. Re the HDR, the only one that I found too overcooked was the one on p52.
The mono pics were great.  Mono can bring out so much more detail and mood in an image. I don't recall seeing too many in these type of mag before.
I liked the the fonts (especially the large titles - almost a country gothic feel to it?), but some pages seemed a little too mixed & matched with different fonts (eg p55)
$12 is not cheap, but if it is a quality read with less ads, and fully made here, then I reckon I can have a beer or two less each month to make up the difference. Well done.

Less food i could understand BUT BEER  :'( :'(

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »

Less food i could understand BUT BEER  :'( :'(

Good point. Veges are expensive. I'll sacrifice some broccoli & cauliflower instead! ;D

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2011, 01:22:58 PM »
I know 12 bucks is a lot but as it a quarterly Mag the effort being put into it is worth it. I'd rather a mag every 3 Months that all new than a Monthly that's re-hashed
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2011, 01:31:26 PM »
I know 12 bucks is a lot but as it a quarterly Mag the effort being put into it is worth it. I'd rather a mag every 3 Months that all new than a Monthly that's re-hashed

x2
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
Agree, would probably pay more for a good quarterly, but to me fancy headings taking up a lot of room are not worth paying any extra for. I wish there was a mag with a format like National Geographic with the pics and stories out of Pats mag just more of.

"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2011, 10:27:43 PM »
Burnsy the shelf price is 12 bucks ....

Cheers Chippy :D

$12 ???  This is ground breaking.

Picked one up this arvo, my newsagent must have thought $12 was a bit rich.  All priced with a tag gun at $8.95.  I have read through about a quarter of it and ther articles are good, the advertising is less than others and I like the format.  I would not call it a coffee table mag though.  To hit that market, I reckon  it needs heavier paper and more articles based on locations, their history and story, not just them as a camping location.  As someone previous to me stated, a bit more of a national geographic feel would do it.  I do like the white space throughout the mag although it is a compomise where you get less content for more white space.

I would buy it again at $8.95 but probably not $12.  Yes it is far better quality than the other mob of batters but don't base your pricing on theirs, they are taking the piss.  They are a $4.95 magazine and that is why they have extensive telly marketing offering free chinese swags and highlifts with a subscription.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2011, 01:15:46 AM »
Picked one up this arvo, my newsagent must have thought $12 was a bit rich.  All priced with a tag gun at $8.95.  I have read through about a quarter of it and ther articles are good, the advertising is less than others and I like the format.  I would not call it a coffee table mag though.  To hit that market, I reckon  it needs heavier paper and more articles based on locations, their history and story, not just them as a camping location.  As someone previous to me stated, a bit more of a national geographic feel would do it.  I do like the white space throughout the mag although it is a compomise where you get less content for more white space.

I would buy it again at $8.95 but probably not $12.  Yes it is far better quality than the other mob of batters but don't base your pricing on theirs, they are taking the piss.  They are a $4.95 magazine and that is why they have extensive telly marketing offering free chinese swags and highlifts with a subscription.

Wow, tough audience  ;D

'Coffee table magazine' is relative... most of them are made for a market other than Australia, i.e. massively higher circulation. We - the 4WD adventure market - are a tiny portion of the population here, and an even smaller portion of us buys magazines. Perceptions and expectations may need to be adjusted...
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline celibaterifle

• Swag User
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2011, 10:01:13 AM »
Agree with Steve on this. I am more than happy to pay a premium for a quality quarterly mag. One of my other interests is hotrods and used to buy 2 or 3 mags a month, now I only purchase 1 "mag" and it is a quarterly that I happily pay $25 for. I am more than happy paying this much as it really is a quality mag - way more like a coffee table book than magazine.

I haven't read the mag in its entirety yet, but from what I have read and flicking through it I think that this mag is a quality production.

Pat, keep up the good work and if you want to check out what I believe to be the benchmark in magazine quality for articles, photography etc. have a look at "The Rodders Journal". (PM me if you're unable to find it at a Newsagent in your neck of the woods and we can work something out.) I have always thought that if I was to produce my own magazine that the quality to be aiming for would be that of "The Rodders Journal".

Jim

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
Quote from: Burnsy
I would buy it again at $8.95 but probably not $12. 

I'd say $12 a 1/4 is fair if its quality. genuinely much better than $9-10/mth for rubbish binny stuff.

but don't base your pricing on theirs, they are taking the piss.  They are a $4.95 magazine and that is why they have extensive telly marketing offering free chinese swags and highlifts with a subscription.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
Read a bit more of it and have decided that as those above have said on a quarterly basis I would probably pay $12.  Any idea why my newsagent is selling them at $8.95 though?

Still think some more ifo on people and places from a history prespective is always a good read and would be a worthwhile inclusion within trip reports.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2011, 07:30:42 AM »
  Any idea why my newsagent is selling them at $8.95 though?

Still think some more ifo on people and places from a history prespective is always a good read and would be a worthwhile inclusion within trip reports.

$8.95 ? because his short of friends .....   because his nice ......      because he wanted you to post it on here to p!ss us that payed $ 12.00 off   ???

I to would like to see more info on the destinations. Would be nice if a mag would do some regulars on things like remote fishing destinations or fossicing and prospecting maybe one trip per mag, for a couple of issue's and then move to the next topic. Then returning at a later issue to more trips on the earlier topics.  Trips like remote Barra fishing or High country trout fishing, prospecting in differant states  rather than just a destination for a road trip.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
$8.95 ? because his short of friends .....   because his nice ......      because he wanted you to post it on here to p!ss us that payed $ 12.00 off   ???

I to would like to see more info on the destinations. Would be nice if a mag would do some regulars on things like remote fishing destinations or fossicing and prospecting maybe one trip per mag, for a couple of issue's and then move to the next topic. Then returning at a later issue to more trips on the earlier topics.  Trips like remote Barra fishing or High country trout fishing, prospecting in differant states  rather than just a destination for a road trip.
wouldnt you get that from a fishing magazine?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »
wouldnt you get that from a fishing magazine?
Most of those dedicated mags do very little on the trip side of things, and focus to much on the one topic. Left A and arrived at B heres the  fishing and some more fishing, there's a lot of people out there into camping and touring that do a lot more than just a drive like Geocaching.   

Clarence Day

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
Most of those dedicated mags do very little on the trip side of things, and focus to much on the one topic. Left A and arrived at B heres the  fishing and some more fishing, there's a lot of people out there into camping and touring that do a lot more than just a drive like Geocaching.   
I missed the  ;D + ;) on last post
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline davidy61

• Tent User
  • Jayco Poptop
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »
Finally finished reading Issue 1.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  Great photos, good articles.  Advert content better than a lot of other magazines I see.

Got permission from SWMBO and have subscribed for the next 10 issues.

Thanks Pat for a good read.

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 with 2" lift and other goodies

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
Got permission from SWMBO and have subscribed for the next 10 issues.

Good to see you are the boss of your relationship.
I'm the boss of our relationship and I have SWMBO's permission to say it.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Pat Callinan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
Been keeping an eye on the feedback, and all pretty well balanced IMHO. Except perhaps the price arguments! When I was building the mag, I factored in hiring the best talent (photographers, journo's and designers), using sustainable paper sources, heavier paper plus of course printing the magazine in Australia. Most 4WD magazines these days are printed in China. Put simply, quality costs money. The same reason that not everyone rides around in Great Wall utes.
Plus, I figured if you can't afford $11.95 for a magazine, then you probably can't afford to stick a tank of diesel in your rig either.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
Been keeping an eye on the feedback, and all pretty well balanced IMHO. Except perhaps the price arguments! When I was building the mag, I factored in hiring the best talent (photographers, journo's and designers), using sustainable paper sources, heavier paper plus of course printing the magazine in Australia. Most 4WD magazines these days are printed in China. Put simply, quality costs money. The same reason that not everyone rides around in Great Wall utes.
Plus, I figured if you can't afford $11.95 for a magazine, then you probably can't afford to stick a tank of diesel in your rig either.

Hoping to get a gift subscription for xmas.  $10 an issue plus the extras seemed ok to me.  Hope SWMBO agrees.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2011, 01:19:20 PM »
I know I should buy the magazines, but I prefer to watch the TV episodes.
Unfortunately I missed last weeks.  :-[
I wish I could just go to Mr4x4 web site and watch old episodes.  8)
Please Pat, perhaps similar to other TV series, past episodes able to be watched, even for a limited time.  ;)
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline davidy61

• Tent User
  • Jayco Poptop
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »
Last weekend's was not on due to Golf/MasterChef/X Factor or whatever the reason is to cancel good programs and put on rubbish!

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 with 2" lift and other goodies

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »

Bought the mag and it looks good. Only scanned through when having a coffee.  Thank god theres not a red or green old Toyota anywhere.

Checked out the website.  Think I would lose the 'Mr4x4 tag'.  Seems a bit try hard unless he's secretly Len Beadell reborn  :D

Best of luck.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline yorkie

• Swag User
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »
getting a subscription for chrissie, liked the real content and not every page is an ad format.
and unlike the show do not need to hear your voice pat telling me the engwaenissanarbtjm thingy is the ducks nuts.  :laugh:

just joking, the show is a good watch too.  :cheers:
smile and wave boys..... :)

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
Read the magazine last week Pat and thoroughly enjoyed it. I noted that you said to you wouldn't want to tow anything up Blue Rag so best to leave it at the bottom carpark. Your probably right but these 2 fellow swaggers showed it was possible http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=10930.msg163488#msg163488

Look forward to the next issue :cheers:

John
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....