Author Topic: What routine do you have to check everything is ok before driving off with CT?  (Read 10047 times)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
This morning SWMBO helped me pack up the Jayco Eagle for the trip home from Kurrimine Beach.  Unfortunately, she only locked down two of the roof latches whereas I assumed she had done them all.  Well, we were travelling at about 100kph when I caught a glimpse of one side of the camper roof sitting up about 8 inches off the base. My first thought was WTF, followed by Oh Crap.  Stopped the car, secured the top and after a bit of an argument about whose fault it was - I didn't win - we were on our way. Checked the winder mechanism out when we got home, all good, nothing more than a free lesson in making sure I check everything myself.

All this got me thinking, what routines do others have to check everything before they drive off with their CT in tow?

I normally double check the hitch and safety chains and check the lights are working but will add the roof latches to the mental checklist from now on.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
My wife does everything inside, I do everything outside.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
My wife does everything inside, I do everything outside.
Same, I also triple check the Jayco roof & hitch etc, drive for s few minutes, stop and recheck

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
I walk down the passengers side if the Cruiser check the hitch, jockey wheel and all associated wires, chains etc then walk around the camper checking all latches as I go. Once I'm back to the DO35 hitch I check it again and then climb in the drivers seat and we're away !!

So far so good  :cheers: , we've never had an issue yet.

We don't share the job of final inspection....................it's my responsibility as the driver so it's only up to one person to check the whole rig !!

Cheers
John K
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

KingBilly

We don't share the job of final inspection....................it's my responsibility as the driver so it's only up to one person to check the whole rig !!

Yep, the same here.  The buck stops with the driver.

KB

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
Last thing I do is a walk around before setting off. As I go I count off the items checked, lights, safety chains, hitch pin, jockey wheel, latches, straps, tailgate etc. Put my hand out to each one as its checked.

One of these days I'll keep a record of what number I'm supposed to finish with!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
I do a complete walk around, starting at the hitch I check it's locked on and Anderson and trailer plugs hooked up, then check handbrake is off, all latches down drivers side locked down, walk around back and make sure both latches on swing away wheel carrier are locked, then check latches on passenger side are locked also, then check kitchen is locked and finally I make sure all 3 storage box areas and the space case are locked aswell.
Do it all myself, that way only one person is to blame if something wasn't done it's purely my fault then
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just geographically displaced!!
Yep, the same here.  The buck stops with the driver.

KB

Yep same here. I always do a lap every time we stop even if just for petrol etc. Get into the habit and develop a routine. Stops any unexpected problems before they happen.
It's been known, that in some areas people will have a go and fiddle with your rig just for the sport. Don't intend to be their entrainment, interestingly enough I have only found a problem with some latches being released only once after a short break.
Ta
John
Dmax Duel Cab LSU. Canopy, duel batteries, GVM Upgrade, Light Bar, Draw system, Fridge slide and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v.

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
I walk down the passengers side if the Cruiser check the hitch, jockey wheel and all associated wires, chains etc then walk around the camper checking all latches as I go. Once I'm back to the DO35 hitch I check it again and then climb in the drivers seat and we're away !!

So far so good  :cheers: , we've never had an issue yet.

Cheers
John K

Pretty much exactly what I do, am a true believer in a walk around of my veh and ct each time I stop and again prior to heading off for the first time, and the following mornings etc....I have found a hub hot once due to a wheel bearing buggered....saved me some heartache finding it before it collapsed and caused me real probs.....

For me its an important part of touring....find a prob before it becomes an issue and do an easy fix, be it a latch, a wheel nut, or what ever...

Swanny

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
First mistake is having someone help. I do the walk around twice and check everything, nobody is to touch anything outside. I have also made up "flight pins " for some things and put red tape on the inside of the roof latches so it's more obvious visually if a latch is undone. Habits borne being trained as a pilot.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
Usual checks on the CT do a lap or 3, hitch, chains, lights, wheels and tyres and all latches and compartments are locked shut so they can't rattle open, gas off. Check everything is securely tied down on the roof rack of the car and nothing left on the bullbar or anything.
Get In the car and do a head count before driving off, missus, kids, dog are actually in the car.
Move CT off actual campsite, stop, quick look to make sure nothing has been left behind.
Then drive out of the camping area (or home if we are heading out) and stop and re check everything.
And usually whenever we stop ill do a quick walk around just to make sure its all sweet.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
Same but different - towing the boat.

Check the hitch, lights, handbrake
Make sure nothing is obscuring the number plate - as a very friendly highway patrol officer pointed out its a large fine, particularly on a long weekend!

I also carry an infrared thermometer gun to check the trailer bearings.
These things are cheap to buy nowadays...

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User

Yep, we carry one of those too, makes it easy to shoot temps as you walk around  :cup:
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
Starting at front of vehicle... check oil and fluids, start vehicle, check headlights :allow vehicle to run while moving to rear of vehicle and camper: Check hitch, electrics and chains and jockey wheel up.  Then one side of toolbox locked... jerry cans secure, cap on water outlet, gas bottle locked and off, tail gate locked and rear supports up, other side of camper...2nd gas bottle locked on, camper base latches secured, hatch closed and jerry can secured, other side of tool box locked, double check jockey wheel, pins, and hitch....
Back to the vehicle... passenger checks brake, signal and tail lights.  Last check of site to ensure nothing left behind (ie wheel chocks if we've used them... then away we go.   Generally as bearings have been checked the day previous every time we stop the first check is generally about an hour down the track....
Cheers,
Sue   
Desert Lover
The following users thanked this post: Ratbag

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
I get my 15 year old daughter to check everything, she does not know that I go over it whilst she is in the car asking me to see if the lights are working pressing the brake pedal flicking switches etc... But so far I have found her spot on but I still go over it all.
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
While I am hitching up the missus goes around and checks everything. Then I do a lap to double check (physically touching each item as I check it - force of habit) then double check the hitch.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."

I use the 5-pronged organic version...... ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Then I do a lap to double check (physically touching each item as I check it - force of habit) then double check the hitch.
i do the same thing as i do my check aswell....not sure why i do it, but it seems to reassure myself that it's definately locked in position by physically touching it.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline mjharps

• Soft Floor Camper User

While I am hitching up the missus goes around and checks everything. Then I do a lap to double check (physically touching each item as I check it - force of habit) then double check the hitch.

That's exactly what we do.

I've also been known to go around once and then back in the opposite direction. Especially if I know we have had a disjointed or rushed (weather, kids etc) pack up.

It's when you rush or get distracted that you are most likely to forget something important!
Cheers,
mjharps

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
The wife has a spreadsheet of camping gear, clothes  and food stuffs etc .. I oversee the lot before it gets packed .. amazing how much extra apears and gets Sh*te canned before being loaded even with a black n white check list .
Once loaded its a final walk around double check of everything thats tied strapped lights or moves ..
When the doors close  the warning is said " Have you got everything and checked "  said again at the turn of to the main drag from our street  and a final  " What we have, we go with and What we havent we go without " as we hit the highway on ramp ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
After its all been packed , clipped ,tied , strapped & attached to the tug . A quiet walk around the camp site to do a        " Mug Sweep " . Amazing what you find from time to time . Sometimes you leave kit  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Palmer

• Soft Floor Camper User
We also have the kids do a walk around the site to make sure there is no rubbish (ours or others) left.
It's surprising how many times you find stuff that no one knows where it came from.

Offline ronmac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just love my wild turkey
Same but different - towing the boat.

Check the hitch, lights, handbrake
Make sure nothing is obscuring the number plate - as a very friendly highway patrol officer pointed out its a large fine, particularly on a long weekend!

What temperature range do you find acceptable for bearings, eg; normal heat range to excessive heat range. cheers Ron.
The greatest gift you can give someone is your time, because when you give your time you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.

Well, strip my gears and call me Shiftless.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
Some good points on here about checking yourself/ drivers responsibility.  Its very easy to get lazy though.

In a previous life I used to tow a 40Kva Generator on a dual axle trailer, sometimes moving and setting up in different locations a day (sometimes 3 or 4 moves). Simple walk round and check of hitch, and running gear at the beginning and end of every journey as we were mostly on rural roads and farms. But since then, I've been caught out at a trailer hire place. It was raining so guy says "I'll hitch it up for ya". "Awesome" I think, "he can get wet, not me".  He sends me off, and I exit the car park. Bang, its onto the safety chain. He hadn't locked the ball hitch in properly. Now its back to a physical check and walkround every time rain, hail or snow.

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Hoffy

• Tent User
  • I love lamp!!
Make sure the rum is packed. hahaha