Author Topic: What routine do you have to check everything is ok before driving off with CT?  (Read 10193 times)

Offline Streetkid

• Tent User
I check everything over a couple of times and then second guess myself as I drive up the road and end up pulling over after a few hundred metres to check again.
Happy Customline owner

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
I check that the fridge is well stocked, is going and set at 1 deg.  ;D

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
The ol girl has a spreadsheet checklist that we run by. So far, so good.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Like others, I walk around the trailer physically touching all the locks, plugs, etc

After ripping a leg off on my first trip with the trailer I don't let anyone do any of the final closing/checking now.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
On our last trip we had driven for 3 hours when we needed to give a the kids a toilet break and it as then I noticed I hadn’t attached my safety chains, so I felt like a goose.

Also in the past I have put the fridge in the car and connected it to 240v, but I forgot to plug in the 12v cord. So when leaving home the next morning I unplug the 240v cord and drive off. Again a couple of hours later I find the fridge getting warm and seeing the back of the car was chockers, struggle to plug the 12v cord in.

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy

It's been known, that in some areas people will have a go and fiddle with your rig just for the sport. Don't intend to be their entrainment, interestingly enough I have only found a problem with some latches being released only once after a short break.
Ta
John
Yes a swing out kitchen swinging out on the highway makes your vehicle rather taily to drive.  Since this happened I also do a quick check before hearing off whenever We have left the trailer.

Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
As pretty well everyone has said, it's my responsibility ... My biggest problem has been forgetting the jockey wheel a few times. Didn't do the last one a lot of good!

As I normally travel solo, I get SWMBO to check the lights before I head off. I have taught her a standard set of signals to indicate which light is OK/dead.

Now that I have replaced all the lights with LED lights and completely rebuilt the wiring loom, I don't expect to have that perennial problem of festoon bulbs failing whenever they feel like it.

Now I have converted to a CT, I expect to have to learn to check extra things - e.g. remembering to remove the security cables and locks from the wheels ... ;).

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Go from the front to the back

Sitting on the hitch right
Safety chains done up
Lights and anderson plugged in
Roof winder handle put away
Staibiliser  legs up
Roof latches secure
Quick check of the wheel nuts with the brace

Quick walk around at out first stop
I can also see the roof latches in the side mirrors as well
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
Re: What routine do you have to check everything is ok before driving off with CT?

first of all - check no one is around, and there are no cops near by - etc ...
 :police:
 >:D

O hang on, shoot; different subject  LOL     :cheers:
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Also forgot to mention we move the car/camper just out of the camp spot the the missus does a once over of the site to find any lost bits. Have found a few tent pegs and a t-shirt so far (all ours)
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline fluids

• Tent User
Check the hitch and pin, check the trailer plug and Anderson connection. Check the safety chains.

Then down one side checking each latch on boxes and camper, rear door, up the other side, then get the missus to check the lights while I operate them. I'm the driver, so I'm responsible, so it's my job to check. The 6 camper floor latches stay undone when in the garage to prevent the seals from becoming overly compressed, so they must be closed before departure.

If we'll be stopping along the way where the tug/camper would be parked and unattended, as I do the check, I have 12x keyed alike padlocks, and I fit 1 on each box, 2 on the camper lid, lock the back door (keyed lock), 1 on the pole box, 1 on the rear locker, and replace the hitch pin clamp with a padlock. Have the same locks on the 2 gas cylinders. 10 locks, 2 spares .... Keys stashed everywhere !!!

2015 KK Classic w/upgrades
2014 MUX LST w/fruit

(2004 D2a Classic … going … going … not quite gone)

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
Don't forget the house when checking your trailer and rig. We have driven off with the house front door and all windows wide open!!

Lucky for us we realised 2 kms from home and not at our destination 700kms away!

Offline grantxx

• Tent User
Don't forget the house when checking your trailer and rig. We have driven off with the house front door and all windows wide open!!

Lucky for us we realised 2 kms from home and not at our destination 700kms away!

Double check the iron is off as well when leaving home, so you can say yep its off, when she asks. Sames as most for me start at front and do a lap, checking everything twice and touch everything to be sure, lock all doors etc and away we go.

Offline green troll

• Sleeping Bag User
Yep last time we left the house unlocked and alarm disarmed.
Diddnt realize till we got back home. Very lucky...
Using Tapatalk

Offline lyn4680

• Swag User
We've got a ct, so makes things a bit easier. Hubby does everything, I check once it's all done and he does a final look over before we leave.

One of the first trips we did we forgot about the hand break, so that put us on the straight and narrow.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
I do the anticlockwise walk around whatever I'm towing...

Coupling
Chains
Kick and shake the passenger wheel
Check the transom strap and Outboard brace if it's the boat
Kick and shake the drivers side wheel
Recheck the coupling and chains

Each stop, I check bearing temps with the back of my fingers

Oh, and if it's the boat, make sure I have the keys packed... Drove 1300km at Christmas and had left the keys at home...

Thank God for a good neighbor... She express posted them to us :)
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Double check the iron is off as well when leaving home, so you can say yep its off, when she asks.
Funny that, I normally get asked is the stove off about 10 min after leaving home.
Agree whole heartedly with its the pilots responsibility to do the final check.
Stops the " I thought you did"
And I don't have to worry about packing the inside! ;D
cheers Glen
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Hoffy

• Tent User
  • I love lamp!!
Must admit, we double check a few things now, like making sure the gas is turned off at taps.  Electrics are off including the water pump as sometimes if we are travelling a fair distance between camps we will empty the water to save on weight and fuel then fill up at destination but we are mindful about the pump and electrics running and trying to build pressure when there is no water in the tanks.

We also double check the chains, hitch, plugs and jockey wheel.  Once my missus drove off with the jockey wheel down.  Not fun to repair on our old KK where the mount is welded to the drawbar.