Author Topic: Work for the dole - gets my vote - will it get thru parliament?  (Read 28850 times)

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
Re: Work for the dole - gets my vote - will it get thru parliament?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 10:57:24 PM »
Having spent time on the unemployed (redundant) list I'd say don't be so hasty to condem all people who are out of work. Not all of us are (were) dole bludgers.

Try doing 30 job interviews in a month when most of your applications don't even get a response.

Ther simply aren't that many jobs out there if you happen to be a little bit qualified /experienced. And if you have qualifications/experience then nobody will give you a look in at lesser positions as they don't think you'll stick around.

I like the idea of WFTD in principal but what this mob are proposing is draconian to say the least!

Agree. it's going to affect all long term genuine job seekers who can't get a job, not just bludgers.
Whilst I don't like dole bludgers, how are they supposed to pay for the transport to get around to this WFTD? They are poor to begin with.

If you say 'who cares', then consider how much increased crime there will be when the real losers decide to steal your gear to hock for the money they need if they are cut off the dole. I had my car 'screwdrivered' for the 5c coins in change in the ashtray - about $1 worth. Nothing else.
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 05:58:11 AM »
Good point.   Let's just drug test them. If they are positive. Shoot them!
We need more straight thinking like this, instead of the airy fairy rubbish that the happy clappers want to push on to us.

I nominate Oldmate for PM
 :cup:

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 06:11:33 AM »
Work for the dole is a good idea in my opinion, but 40 applications a month?  That's just crazy, and small business owners will hate it.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 06:28:56 AM »
How many remember the last time "dole bludgers" were used as political scape goats?  Did it solve the problem?

There are not enough jobs, that's the problem.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 08:18:42 AM »
Requiring people to apply for 40 jobs a month??? 3+ a day or are companies supposed to stay open Sundays for interviews too?? LMAO!!! Many people would be lucky if there were 10 jobs a month they are qualified for.

Lets retrain them.. yes, computer courses are around $3500/wk for ONE Microsoft course...  No use training them in something that jobs are flying off shore in either...

What about people in remote areas?? Apply for 40 jobs a month in Wheelabarraback? There's only a pub and newsagents in town.... Yes, lets make them move to the big smoke, where they now need Government Assistance to rent that 1 room apartment @ $350/week.

So it will be back to getting your mates dad to sign your form for you, and I'd hate to be in HR as 50,000 applications come in for 1 position as managing director - 49,500 of them from people not qualified but they have to apply to get paid..

So boot them off the dole, give them nothing...

What's the only thing left they can do to support their families?? Turn to crime ... If there are no jobs there are no jobs... And with so many unemployed to choose from, they can pick and choose that nuclear physicist or bloke with very few skills to be the new coffee boy if they like.

People still need to eat and survive... If there are no jobs, you don't give them some form of support they either die or crime.

Another stupid decision by a moronic government that just comes out with kneejerk solutions they don't think through to huge problems.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »
http://www.news.com.au/national/abbott-liberal-government-reveals-the-regions-to-be-targeted-under-budgets-new-workfordole-scheme/story-fncynjr2-1226933603538

YOUNG Aussies on the dole who live in high unemployment areas including outer western Sydney, Byron Bay, Geelong and Logan, are on notice. 

They are the first targets of Tony Abbott’s revamped work for the dole scheme.

The federal government will today unveil the initial 18 locations across the country where people under 30 will be forced to start working for the dole.

The Work for The Dole hit list:

1. Fairfield, Liverpool (NSW)

2. Nepean, Outer Western Sydney (including Blue Mountains NSW)

3. Central Coast (NSW)

4. Shoalhaven (NSW)

5. Richmond, Tweed, Clarence Valley (including Ballina and Byron Bay NSW)

6. Coffs Harbour, Macleay, Hastings (NSW)

7. Bundaberg (Qld)

8. Fraser Coast (Qld)

9. Outer North Brisbane (Qld)

10. Cairns (Qld)

11. Logan (Qld)

12. Westgate (north west Melbourne Vic)

13. Goulburn Valley (Vic)

14. Peninsula (south eastern Melbourne Vic)

15. Geelong (Vic)

16. Central and West Metro (south West Perth WA)

17. Northern Adelaide, Gawler (SA)

18. West and North West, Launceston (Tas)

Note Cairns is included.  Mind you this news is 2 months old, but it is easier to target the "bold" policy as bad rather than the intent

media..... :cup:
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline FNQBunyip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »
No mention of a review of the 457 visa requirements ,  company's asking to import workers should be the first too show they have interviewed the unemployed masses..

Yes WFTD is something that could go along way to helping our country , but as others have said this policy has more holes in it than a pastafarians head dress .. Whos going to supervisor ? allocate ? train ? record ?

cheers   

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
Work for the dole - gets my vote - will it get thru parliament?
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »
Whos going to supervisor ? allocate ? train ? record ?

cheers

Look, we just created lots of jobs ^^^^^^. We have people out there that are great workers but age etc maybe stopping them getting a job in the private sector.

Have the willing motivate the ones that have fallen into a rut. You know how hard it is to get going after a long holiday, guess it would be the same for those that haven't worked for a longtime. Get them into a pattern of getting up and out the door and hopefully it leads to branching out into other work.

We are paying them regardless, so let's pay them to do something, I'm sure they will get a better paying job, if they have to work.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:30:05 AM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »
Quote from: Alan Loy

We have a winner... and at the rate they are flying off shore soon the only jobs will be data entry for the dole office.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
How many remember the last time "dole bludgers" were used as political scape goats?  Did it solve the problem?

Maybe not for everyone but there are too many downhill Skiers out there not even making an honest effort to find one. I think thats the issue they are trying to tackle here.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 11:36:15 AM »
Maybe not for everyone but there are too many downhill Skiers 

Where did you drag that comment from?    ;D ;D ;D
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
hopefully it leads to branching out into other work.

I think expensive government policy should be based on more that 'hopefully it will work'

I think it is really demonizing everyone on unemployment benefits as dole bludgers. I cant help thinking that when your job seeking, your full time job is to apply for jobs, spending 30 hours a week working for the dole cuts into the time you can spend applying for jobs.

But this policy is not about job seekers, its about looking good to the voters.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
Quote from: marvellous_matt
But this policy is not about job seekers, its about looking good to the voters.
isn't that modern politics? Hoping the lemmings will all forget the previous ****ups...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
Lots of valid points, however something needs to be done / changed as the current system that's been in place doesn't work.

No-one likes change and I'm sure it will be unfair on some who genuinely find it difficult to work, but this proposal will also get many off their back sides who have managed in the past to milk the system.

Is 40 applications a month tough?  You bet, but so is working 40-50 hours a week in a responsible job, so why shouldn't people who are unemployed be pushed a bit and forced to make an effort to find work?  Hell, I get reminded all the time that life wasn't meant to be easy!   

I was made redundant during the GFC, when lots of others were being made redundant too and businesses were closing - it was tough.  I was keen and motivated to find work.... because with my wife at home looking after two kids under 5 and a mortgage I had no choice.  There's work out there if people want to work and aren't overly fussed with what they do.  40 applications may seem a lot, but once you've set up a couple of template application letters it's simply a matter of changing components of the letter to suit the job you're applying for - its' really not that hard or time consuming. 

Is asking people to spend 3 or 4 hours a day looking at job websites and writing applications, and possibly attending interviews really expecting too much?   

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »
I think it's the "Horse to water scenario" and if it don't drink, it dies :) (payments that is)

Offline Black Diamond

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 12:03:16 PM »
Where did you drag that comment from?    ;D ;D ;D
They are getting an easy run just like Skiing downihill ;D
1996 80 series Cruiser

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »
The unemployment figures in Cairns covers all the Cape area. That why our unemployment seems high.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

Is asking people to spend 3 or 4 hours a day looking at job websites and writing applications, and possibly attending interviews really expecting too much?   
I'm just not sure how people will find the time. 25 hrs a week work for the dole, say 5 hrs a day (put in travel and lunch break and its getting close to a  full day. Then 3 or 4 hours on job seeking activities. I just hope that job seekers who are milking the system have good access to computer and internet at their home, and are not relying on centerlink or public library access. And they have either a reliable public transport system or a fairy godparent who can keep a car running, I'm guessing on the dole it would be pretty hard to buy and maintain a vehicle.

Offline gregw56

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
Iam lookin for work,been on the dole for 12 months.after being made redundant while on workcover. it's bloody hard to even get an interview . if ya can get to the interview stage your age (1am 58) is a barrier, then try and pass a medical with a stuffed back. last week i sent out 42 resumes. i got 1 phone call from a recruitment company wanting to offer me training. forklift licence i've held it for 35 years. even mates that need someone to help out won't. i could start today doin change overs if i lied about my medical condition, but that could come back to bite me on the arse if something happened. so i send out as many resumes as possible everyday. it must give these labour hire places the Shits gettin my resume.i also do 2 days a week at the local community centre pokin about doin odd jobs. i just hope everyone understands it's not easy.

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »
I'm just not sure how people will find the time. 25 hrs a week work for the dole,

I guess I have a tougher view and take the approach you have to do what ever it takes.  I regularly work 50 hours a week, attend uni after hours plus study a further 10 - 12 hours a week whenever I can find the time.  To take the approach that someone won't have time to look for a job after spending only 25 hours a week working doesn't cut it with me.  People will find the time if they make looking for a job a priority, rather than an inconvenience.   

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »
I worked 24/7 for a year to achieve what I wanted. During the day I built my business and during the night I drove a truck for movie companies.

Home by 0700 and straight into my work van till 15:00. Came home, had something to eat, chatted with my wife then back in the yard to pick up the truck and be on set by 17:00. Packed up the truck around 05:00, back to the yard then home about 0630 to get back in the work van by 0700.

Offline Black Diamond

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
Iam lookin for work,been on the dole for 12 months.after being made redundant while on workcover. it's bloody hard to even get an interview . if ya can get to the interview stage your age (1am 58) is a barrier, then try and pass a medical with a stuffed back. last week i sent out 42 resumes. i got 1 phone call from a recruitment company wanting to offer me training. forklift licence i've held it for 35 years. even mates that need someone to help out won't. i could start today doin change overs if i lied about my medical condition, but that could come back to bite me on the arse if something happened. so i send out as many resumes as possible everyday. it must give these labour hire places the ****s gettin my resume.i also do 2 days a week at the local community centre pokin about doin odd jobs. i just hope everyone understands it's not easy.
Yours certainly sounds like a genuine case but unfortunately there is a lot that are not. Hopefully you find something real soon. 12 months without work would be extremely hard. Good luck  :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »
Quote from: rotare
I guess I have a tougher view and take the approach you have to do what ever it takes.  I regularly work 50 hours a week, attend uni after hours plus study a further 10 - 12 hours a week whenever I can find the time.  To take the approach that someone won't have time to look for a job after spending only 25 hours a week working doesn't cut it with me.
People will find the time if they make looking for a job a priority, rather than an inconvenience.

You're making the error of assuming that everyone else is like you - that they all have the same motivations, same physical abilities, same geographical situation, etc.

I do agree with your last sentence - but finding the time is a lot different to finding a job, and a common refrain is that the job hunt can be a highly demoralising experience.

Caveat, I have been employed continuously since 17 (27 years this year) so what do I know about job hunting. I supposed I'd better bone up, as the work I do is going to India (along with all the tax dollars that used to go to the Australian government).
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
yeah everyone will have a different view regarding this, I have seen plenty of genuine people looking for work & interviewed plenty who begged me not to hire them.

My son, who is 12 (because he's too young yet)is getting frustrated that he not allowed to get a PT job as he can't wait to work at an aussie disposals or a rays outdoors  ;D, while he's at high school

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Goose

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Life turns on a dime.
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
    Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    You're right there, Obadiah.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
    Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
    A cup o' cold tea.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
    Without milk or sugar.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    Or tea.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    In a cracked cup, an' all.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
    Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
    The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
    Aye, 'e was right.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    Aye, 'e was.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
    I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
    House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
    Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
    We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
    Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
    Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL:
    They won't!