Author Topic: Work for the dole - gets my vote - will it get thru parliament?  (Read 28108 times)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
I am pretty keen on this getting through parliament. We have a lot of dole bludgers up here in Cairns. They move here from down south due to our high unemployment figures and our lifestyle.

I have a mate who used to work for Centrelink.  He has told me plenty of stories about the long term unemployed up here.  People that work really hard at failing job interviews and aptitude testing or being so terrible at work that they would get the sack and be back on the dole.  Some people work hard making a career of being unemployed. 

I am not having a shot at the genuine people trying to get a job just the lazy so and so's who have no intention of ever working.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/abbott-government-to-make-most-jobseekers-participate-in-work-for-the-dole-programs-from-2015/story-fnihsrf2-1227002703245

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Work for the dole - gets my vote - will it get thru parliament?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »
Yep I agree. They should be made to do at least 3 days a week doing community work, i.e. Cleaning graffiti or picking up litter, the crap jobs that cost every local govt money.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
Work for the dole - gets my vote - will it get thru parliament?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »
Bloody oath !!!

If you can't get a job, get them emptying rubbish bins, clean up the bush etc. since my taxes pay for them.

Let's make camping free and have the people on the dole service the areas, tracks etc.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:52:59 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »
With all the work place health and safety rules i reckon it will only cost a lot more
and not much work would get done these days you have to be  trained to hold a shovel ,do a course to do this do a course to do that will end up costing a arm and a leg ,not that i totally disagree with the concept just my thoughts

cheers

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »
Need to go another step though, drug tests before payment IMHO.

I think work for the dole is a good idea. Sometimes even the most dedicated to finding work can get sucked in to the daytime tv lifestyle and can loose interest in looking for work.

Let's make camping free and have the people on the dole service the areas, tracks etc.

Like the way you think!
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
I like the concept but the reality is that it has to be funded, and having worked in Corrective Services trying to get unmotivated people to be "productive" is easily solved in forums but not in reality, The cost of setting this up would be massive and will we the tax payer actually be better or worse off, hey the current system is a shocker so something has to be done just don't know if there is a simple answer.  ???
Grizzly :cheers:

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
I've got no Issues with WFTD in principle. Where it all turns to sh$t is that there is the lack of capacity for businesses and community organisations to organise and supervise the thousands of intended "targets" of the program.

I've been previously involved in several community based program's, and unfortunately, they weren't worth the worry.

On the flip side, the requirement for everyone to get 40 hits with a business enquiring about work is also a no brainer overkill. A thought bubble at best that seems like a good idea, but an impediment to those doing business. This is what leads to "no work available" signs on doors so searchers give up before coming in. I know, becoz we got  sick of cold callers for jobs at our business, and stuck them up to stop being interrupted from what we were supposed to be doing.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:05:49 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:08:38 PM »
When will the world realise that l cannot go on working all the time . lts stuffing up drinking & camping time . Just send to my account enough & then some to maintain & improve my drinking  life style . l work cheap  ;D sort of  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
Anyone noticed that;
- our population is increasing
- our tax base is shrinking
- the retirement age is getting higher

and they want to flood the job market with morons who couldn't find their ass with a bazooka

Can we see an imbalance here?

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
Anyone noticed that;
- our population is increasing
- our tax base is shrinking
- the retirement age is getting higher

and they want to flood the job market with morons who couldn't find their ass with a bazooka

Can we see an imbalance here?

Good point.   Let's just drug test them. If they are positive. Shoot them!
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:29:11 PM »
Dazzler and Oldmate seem to have it in hand now.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
i spend 24/7 cultivating and selling i leave 3 hrs per fortnight to go to centrelink but to work for what i am entitled to is a joke :)
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline chetty

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:48:24 PM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:12:11 PM by chetty »

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »
Open your minds a little people.

This is wag the dog at its best.  We need new boogie men.  The asylum seekers are all but stopped.  Mmmmm - who can we turn the dopey aussies gaze from the governments stupid policies for a bit......

I know, work for the dole.  Yep, dole bludgers.  Wrecking the country. Bludging on us workers.  Sweeeet!

Lets not invest in our manufacturing industry.  Lets keep going with coal.  Lets not invest in the future of renewable energy that all thinking countries identify as THE emerging industry.  Lets pretend we are the worlds policemen and scare the russians with 50 unarmed cops - oooooh scarey.....

Wag wag wag. 
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
At the very least, long term unemployment is in dire need of an enquiry. Second, third and fourth generations of unemployment with multiple recipients living in the same house is just a farce. Not to mention very lucrative.

Kids starving whilst Mum and Dad are a full as ticks. Gives me the 5hits!

Agreed.

This is wag the dog at its best.  We need new boogie men.  The asylum seekers are all but stopped.  Mmmmm - who can we turn the dopey aussies gaze from the governments stupid policies for a bit......

I know, work for the dole.  Yep, dole bludgers.  Wrecking the country. Bludging on us workers.  Sweeeet!

Lets not invest in our manufacturing industry.  Lets keep going with coal.  Lets not invest in the future of renewable energy that all thinking countries identify as THE emerging industry.  Lets pretend we are the worlds policemen and scare the russians with 50 unarmed cops - oooooh scarey.....

Wag wag wag. 

Yep, agreed 100 times. Just another government trying to pander to what it thinks the electorate thinks it wants to hear, not looking beyond the next election.
2009 Coromal 452

Offline Murph

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
Well thank God I'm now retired ! As the last time this was done I couldn't get any work done ! People coming in all ours of the day , the phone calls , the letters !  I need a beer

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »
All these programs (work for the dole, 40 applications, etc) are all based on the premise that there is enough work for everyone... They just need to stop being lazy.

I would argue that this is no longer the case in Australia. I think the effort should be going into creating jobs (there will always be those who don't want to work, but nothing [or very little] is going to get these people to work).
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »

I would argue that this is no longer the case in Australia. I think the effort should be going into creating jobs (there will always be those who don't want to work, but nothing [or very little] is going to get these people to work).

I think you are correct.  As a whole, it's generally agreed that 5 to 6 % unemployment is a fully engaged workforce. It's the areas of high unemployment with long term unemployed that need the focus, not every unfortunate person who happens to be out of a job in  the other 90% of the country. Muzza mite just be correct in his statement that Cairns has a high representation of those unemployed and not looking for work for lifestyle reasons. There are, however, many other areas where there is high unemployment with no lifestyle reason for living there.

These should be the priority areas for action IMO.

But targeting the easy bulls eye  is just lazy politics IMO.

2009 Coromal 452

Offline knibbsy

• Learning the Ropes
  • I don't like paying too much.
    • knibbventures on youtube
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
You might think differently if you were on the receiving end.
I can't get a job over 55 when they see my gray hair you can almost hear the wind up.
I had a good job for 29 years good $. Then I hurt my back at work. :'(
Then they sacked me because I couldn't do the job >:(
2 back operations later and 6 years later and no job and very little prospects.
In all that time. I have tried very hard but in recent times not at all.
my last surgery was in May 2014
very demoralizing. The system is tough enough on people like me.
I do understand though that there are some right fit and healthy  bogans out there that need to get off the gravy train.
I was getting $12 a fortnight. with a concession card hardly milking the system.
My feelings about the present centerlink system is very poor, to say the least! >:D
"I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one"
GIC Emperor 2014

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »

Wag wag wag.

Fair enough Dazzler the wag the dog thing has merit, but how did those thinking Countries go during the GFC. Coal and iron ore kept us afloat during that period not the $1000 checks Ruddy handed out.
I think the wftd could have merit for long time unemployed if it is tied to skills training.
Last I heard it has bipartisan support on some levels but the devil will be in the detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »
Having spent time on the unemployed (redundant) list I'd say don't be so hasty to condem all people who are out of work. Not all of us are (were) dole bludgers.

Try doing 30 job interviews in a month when most of your applications don't even get a response.

Ther simply aren't that many jobs out there if you happen to be a little bit qualified /experienced. And if you have qualifications/experience then nobody will give you a look in at lesser positions as they don't think you'll stick around.

I like the idea of WFTD in principal but what this mob are proposing is draconian to say the least!
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »
I'm all for it too, but can see where Dazzler is coming from. Too many deadShits around abusing the system.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »

I'm all for it too, but can see where Dazzler is coming from. Too many dead****s around abusing the system.

X2

Cheers
Carl
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »
Too many dead****s around abusing the system.
that might be true, but work for the dole wont get them jobs, I don't know how to fix the problem, but this wont.
I get that some people feel it will be a good use of taxpayers money, as far as I can tell its throwing good money after bad.

The last job I applied for took about 12 hours in front of the computer. Cover letter, updating resume, addressing 8 selection criteria, getting some one to proof read it, more editing. Then about 3 hours preparing for an interview. Now things are updated Im sure it will take less time, but to do it properly takes time. The idea that job seekers could make 40 job applications a month is a joke. Sure you can do it, but it would be 40 half assed applications that would likely be ignored.

I cant see how any of what has been announced will improve the system at all. But its probably more about making voters feel happy about it.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
I see politicians flexing their "I'm tough" re-elect me muscles, but no solutions.

Been a while since I was out of work in my chosen field (IT), but when you make 90+ serious applications when the are no jobs (was same time as 9/11, Ansett, HIH etc...) and people tell you, you should be my boss..

Doesn't put food on the table, i took the first casual job that put some money into the house.

Most people I know are the same, they want to work and will have a crack at anything.
Yes - there are some dip****s who need a kick, focus on them.
Random drug testing, & greater random checking of applications / quality of applications.

Real solutions require more than one answer - thinking, not a tag line & off for another cigar.

Tough words & glib answers give the politicians time to do another expensive overseas fact finding tour.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:54:42 PM by ATC »