Author Topic: Only in QLD  (Read 19923 times)

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Only in QLD
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 05:08:59 AM »
:o

I'm not laughing that QLD doesn't have daylight savings.  I'm laughing at the above four. I'm tipping you could ask them any question and you'd get the same type of dim answer...

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
I'm not laughing that QLD doesn't have daylight savings.  I'm laughing at the above four. I'm tipping you could ask them any question and you'd get the same type of dim answer...

Can you explain why they are 'dim' answers?  They look perfectly OK to me.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 07:20:21 AM »
Can you explain why they are 'dim' answers?  They look perfectly OK to me.

I think you'll find Symon, it's because they appear to be referring to the actual daylight changing when in actual fact the daylight remains the same regardless. It's the clocks that would be changing. Although i don't have a particular opinion on it either way, we did try it a while back and it was'nt all that popular and did'nt suit the majority. I think the old saying of "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" comes to mind here.  8)

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »
To cap this daylight saving debate off why don’t we also have one time ZONE as well?
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »
I think you'll find Symon, it's because they appear to be referring to the actual daylight changing when in actual fact the daylight remains the same regardless. It's the clocks that would be changing. Although i don't have a particular opinion on it either way, we did try it a while back and it was'nt all that popular and did'nt suit the majority. I think the old saying of "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" comes to mind here.  8)

I agree, and that's my point - states have daylight savings to 'give' them an extra hour of sunlight in the afternoon to do things.  The people highlighted are pointing out the fact that moving the clock doesn't make any sense as at Yorkeys Knob there is already enough daylight in the afternoon to do things, so moving the clock back to 'give' an extra hour doesn't have any real advantages.

The fourth person is merely pointing out the fact that there isn't much seasonal variation in the length of the day between winter and summer, so again there isn't much advantage to be gained from daylight savings.

Since the pointing out undeniable facts makes them 'dim' or the subject of ridicule I again question the motivations of those making the accusations.

To cap this daylight saving debate off why don’t we also have one time ZONE as well?

Now that's a debate worth having.  The entire country could be on one timezone.  The eastern states move their clocks back an hour, the central ones back half an hour, and WA forward an hour.  No daylight savings, everyone is on the same time for the entire year.

Wouldn't that cause some arguments.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:44:48 AM by Symon »
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline JGM

• Swag User
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:15 AM »
And of course the main reason why there is no daylight saving in Queensland is all the city blokes will have p*$# horns on the bus on the way to work!

Cheers
JGM

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »

Interestingly China is on one time zone (Beijing time) and it is bigger than Australia

You get some strange daylight hours out west

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
To follow up Symon, look at the difference between Darwin & Hobart (source weatherspark.com)

Darwin
The length of the day does not vary substantially over the course of the year, staying within 51 minutes of 12 hours throughout. The shortest day is June 20 with 11:24 hours of daylight; the longest day is December 21 with 12:51 hours of daylight.

Hobart
The length of the day varies significantly over the course of the year. The shortest day is June 20 with9:00 hours of daylight; the longest day is December 21 with 15:20 hours of daylight.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:27:30 AM by Alan Loy »

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
 As the comments in the Cairns Post state, we simply have enough daylight.  The people whom made these comments are simply referring to the amount of daylight we have before we go to work and after we come home from work.  Obviously the whole sentence that they spoke has been trimmed down fir comment in the paper.  Now it is getting taken out of context to try and make us look stupid.

I understand why the southern states want it but we don't need it or want it here.  Southern people move up here and want to change things similar to Victoria or NSW.  If you miss it that much, just move back.

The Southern States interfere by changing the timezone why should we follow.  They call this the sunshine state for a reason.

Offline RobM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »
I can remember eating dinner at 8:00pm with the sun shining and 30+ degrees. Gee that was fun. NOT'
Might suit down south, but I too am amazed that the advocates for daylight saving think that becasue it suits them it should suit everyone.
As for doing business, well maybe the whole planet should be on the same timezone.  ???

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 12:57:15 PM »

My 6B&S wiring lasts longer up in Cairns  because we dont have daylight saving ;D ;D

marki
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
Is this the reason they want to make Nth Queensland a separate state?
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline nelso

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 01:27:35 PM »
A lot of comment around this in QLD refers to the extra daylight in the EVENING and people's kids won't go to sleep. No-one ever says anything about when here in SEQ the sun is up at 0415 in the middle of summer and nothing is ever said about their kids won't stay asleep. Like in most arguments, the case is put forward to suit the personal opinion.

Cairns and Townsville are a lot further west longitudinally than people realise and when considered along with the lower latitude this fits with FNQ'ers far less than us SEQ'ers.

Broken Hill works on Adelaide time and it's in NSW so REGIONALISED (as opposed to daft state line-wise) daylight saving makes far more sense.

Ultimately, it's what suits the individual - FNQ'ers dont' gain much from it, so fair call for them.

Try working virtually beachside on the NSW/QLD border and you'll soon see that 660,000 GC'ers and 70,000 Tweed Shire'ers are impacted in some form or another, especially in business.

It's the state line descriptor for daylight savings that fails every time.

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »

I understand why the southern states want it but we don't need it or want it here.  Southern people move up here and want to change things similar to Victoria or NSW.  If you miss it that much, just move back.

The Southern States interfere by changing the timezone why should we follow.  They call this the sunshine state for a reason.
Totally agree.. My wife and I moved up from NSW into QLD about 7 years ago, the first year we were here it was all about daylight savings and the government should change it to be like the southern states but 6years down the track there is no way we won't it here..  :cheers:
We'll never move back so sorry QLD your stuck with us.. Lol

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »
Try working virtually beachside on the NSW/QLD border and you'll soon see that 660,000 GC'ers and 70,000 Tweed Shire'ers are impacted in some form or another, especially in business.

If that is the case, instead of changing the lifestyle of 20 million or so people, how about the 70,000 or so in the Tweed Shire just adopt QLD time during daylight saving, the same way as Broken Hill has done with SA time.

OH NO, WE CAN'T DO THAT, QUEENSLANDERS ARE BACKWARDS REDNECK IGNORANT TWATS WHO LIVE IN CURTAIN FADED HOUSES WHO CAN'T DISCIPLINE THEIR KIDS AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO TEACH THEIR COWS WHEN TO MILK.  WE IN THE SOUTH ARE SOOOO MUCH SMARTER THAN THEM, HOW DARE THEY SAY WHAT WE DO DOESN'T SUIT THEM, HOW STUPID ARE THAT LOT - IT WORKS HERE, IT MUST WORK FOR THEM, THEY ARE JUST TOO STUPID TO REALISE IT.  HA HA HA.

Yes I feel better now....

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
Good to see ya feelin better now...  :D

I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »
Yep, it amazes me that people speak about Qld like the start of this thread yet how many southerners move up here!  If Qld is so bad, stop coming!!!!   ;) I recall when we had daylight savings and I loved it then, but now I don’t really care.  There are more important things to solve.  First should be how we can get back on the road travelling again.... ;D.  Kevin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:49:08 PM by krisandkev »
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
I can remember eating dinner at 8:00pm with the sun shining and 30+ degrees. Gee that was fun. NOT'
Might suit down south, but I too am amazed that the advocates for daylight saving think that becasue it suits them it should suit everyone.
As for doing business, well maybe the whole planet should be on the same timezone.  ???

And no doubt the nay-sayers are doing so because it suits them and they want to deny the advocates!
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
A lot of comment around this in QLD refers to the extra daylight in the EVENING and people's kids won't go to sleep. No-one ever says anything about when here in SEQ the sun is up at 0415 in the middle of summer and nothing is ever said about their kids won't stay asleep. Like in most arguments, the case is put forward to suit the personal opinion.

Oh, I remember that from my time in Brissie.  Neighbours kids are up just after 4am, so I have no choice but to be up then as well.  Shower, brekky, futz around, still get into work before the legal start time of 7am.  Then get in strife cause I want to leave at 3pm, but there are meetings scheduled with the southerners till 5pm.  Then when I get back home, cook and eat, feel like siting outside with a wine, but it's already dark!

I so wanted daylight savings when I lived in Brissie.

Can totally understand those from further north not liking it. But for me the lack of it really sucked.   If I retire back up there I'll be checking the neighbours don't have bl@@dy kids!

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »
And no doubt the nay-sayers are doing so because it suits them and they want to deny the advocates!

The difference is that they don't attack the integrity of those who have a differing opinion, with such labels as 'simple', 'dim', 'backwards', etc do they now?

Offline scoot

• Tent User
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 08:49:41 PM »
Yes china being on Beijing time makes it tough in the west in the mountains. Bloody dark and cold at 9 in the morning. Imperial arrogance at its worst.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »

I'm against DLS in any form.  Where I live doesn't really matter but Symon makes very valid observations which make perfect sense to me. 

To those who have DLS:  If my average day is 16 hours (allowing for 8 sleeping hours), and I now have to get up one hour earlier and go to sleep 1 hour earlier ... does my day still remain 16 hours?  Of course it does ... But now I'm suffering from shift workers syndrome ... I'm grumpy and jealous of anyone that doesn't have to do the same as my body clock is now out of whack.

Kit_e

P.s.  I don't have curtains ... I have block out blinds ...  The heat from the sun in early morning summer gives no chance of a sleep in anyway.

P.p.s.  We just had a record 'hot' October ... Maybe Chris Hall does have something in that article ... Or maybe he just knows how to take the piss ...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:55:17 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2013, 06:00:15 AM »
A chill pill is required, me thinks

I just think that it is great how a proud Queenslander [Bushrat] is able to laugh at things said by his fellow Qlders! NS Welshmen had the same silly comments when DLS was introduced many years ago!
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline dungee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2013, 06:01:41 AM »
Queenslanders, 20 years and 1 hour behind the rest of Australia.

Queenslander 1st, Australian 2nd...

;D
Chris

Nothing to see here - move on.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2013, 07:18:53 AM »
Queenslanders, 20 years and 1 hour behind the rest of Australia.

Southern states, one hour ahead on the clock, but 41 years behind Queensland. ;D