Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 7427 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • What for you kicka my dog and call him farqoff.
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2018, 08:46:46 PM »
Some 25+ fires in the Clarence Valley this evening alone,
Countless more around NSW & QLD.
The wind is picking up.
Our thoughts are with the RFS volunteers and others fighting these fires.
Thank you for your effort.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • What for you kicka my dog and call him farqoff.
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »
And it is snowing atm at Glenn Innes, 100 klm away.
Go figure.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »
And it is snowing atm at Glenn Innes, 100 klm away.
Go figure.

And blowing 40km/h+ winds (gusts 75km/h+) all day today another 100km south in Armidale...

Snowing/sleet in Uralla as well... think it had an effort here, but it's warm inside so I didn't go out to see.
1992 Toyota 4Runner VZN130 (3.slo V6):

1996 Kanga Camping trailer: Build in progress

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
They really need to work on getting some new and younger members in the doors too. I'm a member of 2 brigades, one isn't too bad as we can muster crews that are are in their 20's and 30's, but the other one I'm the 3rd youngest member.... at 48.

I was chatting (socially not professionally! ;D) to a psychologist / counsellor I know a couple of years ago. She was saying that she'd just been at a conference where subject of volunteering came up. The general opinion is that most modern young people (Gen X / Y / Millenials) aren't interested in volunteering to do stuff like this, so it's entirely possible that the next 20 years or so will see groups like SES, Rural Firies, Marine Rescue & so on basically disappear as their active members age out :'(
Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory, auto 2.7l turbo-diesel
Sunnie: Sunliner Holiday 16' caravan

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
I was chatting (socially not professionally! ;D) to a psychologist / counsellor I know a couple of years ago. She was saying that she'd just been at a conference where subject of volunteering came up. The general opinion is that most modern young people (Gen X / Y / Millenials) aren't interested in volunteering to do stuff like this, so it's entirely possible that the next 20 years or so will see groups like SES, Rural Firies, Marine Rescue & so on basically disappear as their active members age out :'(

I'm not sure that the "aren't interested" bit is quite true - I think there are barriers to enabling them to become involved including time constraints, concerns about not being able to give enough and the distances they are commuting for work. For me the challenge was the uncertainty of how long I was going to be in one place for - was it worth the organisations time to train me if there was some uncertainty as to how long I was going to stay in one place. In fact, had I started when I first moved here in 2013, I'd have done 5 years now... but I wasn't to know how long I was here for.
1992 Toyota 4Runner VZN130 (3.slo V6):

1996 Kanga Camping trailer: Build in progress

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
We had one a bit close to us. All out now though.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2018, 01:18:40 PM »
Quote from: Paddler Ed
I'm not sure that the "aren't interested" bit is quite true - I think there are barriers to enabling them to become involved including time constraints, concerns about not being able to give enough and the distances they are commuting for work
There is quite an investment in time required these days in basic training and on going training.. Also depending on what sort of station your involved with. Ours was 'Village Protection'...

It all changed and got serious around the early 90s which was required, but did turn a lot of people off.
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Hoyks

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
It depends on the brigade and the larger organization too. Most are happy to get someone and many people move between brigades as work moves them around the state/country.

Both NSW and QLD have a fair bit of theory and OH&S stuff to do online.

In Qld it was a weekend of theory and practical training, a few nights consolidation at the brigade and an assessment day got you all signed up as a Basic Firefighter.

In NSW the training is at brigade level and it all depends on how dedicated the brigade is to getting you trained up. Took me almost a year to get signed up as the guy that held the position of crew trainer wasn't exactly proactive.

Once you have the basic qual, then its as little or as much time as you have to spare, A couple of hours a fortnight for maintenance and available for callout on weekends. The more bodies they have to call on, the less pressure on the others to be always available.