Author Topic: Primus Fridges  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Our Mob

• Learning the Ropes
Primus Fridges
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has a primus 2 way fridge or any experience/knowledge of them.
From all accounts a good unit at a good price.

Offline Digger

• Tent User
Re: Primus Fridges
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
I am taking one away with me for 2 weeks to see how they go for Andrew at Crikey Campers , will post outcome when I return. Have a 40 lt Primus and a 40 lt engel and heading up north Western Australia so should get a good work out . ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:20:28 AM »
This will be an interesting thread to watch . While your there do the warm to cold test , side by side . both units run to same temp , emptyed warmed to room temp refilled  & set to cool . Have tryed this & very interesting to watch the results . Have fun
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline xmasbaby67

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
We have had our Primus 60ltr two way for a couple of years now and so far so good  :cup:

We also use ours on job sites when out of town.  We bought ours from a mate that owns a heating/cooling business and he loves them, has one in the back of his ute permanently also have a mate that is a concreter that has one in the back of his ute permanently too and he also takes it bush when he goes pigging so I can imagine it gets quite a flogging and ALWAYS keeps the beer cold.  :cheers:

Being a girl I'm not really good with the tech side of fridges but from my point of view it has heaps of room(need it with 3 teenage kids) It has one big area for the bigger stuff and a smaller area that I put my butter, cheese etc...it has always worked brilliantly not freezing stuff while being used as a fridge (pet peeve of mine) and is always quick to cool down when it has been off for a while in between camping trips.  We have ours mostly in the back of the Prado while camping unless we are staying on a powered site for a couple of days then we will then put it on the fridge stand in the CT annexe.  Have used it in -4degrees to 40 degrees in the annexe and not a worry with it.

Here's a pic of it in the annexe on the June long w/end but not on the stand (it got down to -4 overnight and we didn't have a prob)

Hope this helps  :cheers:
2009 12ft CUSTOMLINE towed by 2005 VX Prado

Offline Our Mob

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
Hey guys,

Have just ordered the 80L model, so i will let you know how it goes.

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:38:12 AM »
Well just got back and have to say a little biased towards the Engal
Found the primus a large and bulking unit that when in the car very hard to get to the control panel to adjust , also had a few times when the plug came out it went back to -18c and froze everything . Well we thought we had sorted this out but when we stopped over and put it on 240 it again reverted back to -18 . Lost a few beers so was not that happy. >:(
The first thing I would do is cut of the plug and fit a engal with a much longer lead to it .
Also the wireless temp gauge was good and worked well but it takes up a 12v socket and not enough Ifeel to dedicate to a fridge temp gauge . I take a engal hard wired one anyday.
The drain was good as we had a few spills' :D
It is noisy  >:(
They are a lot cheaper and we did not have that many problems on the way back , but by that time we had 2 nights with dinners frozen on arrival and all beer frozen , so not think the Primus never recovered after that.
Did not do cool down times with both as the engal stayed as a freezer the whole trip , and cool the both down on 240 before they go into the car. Ran them both of a Thumper in the back of the car which was being charged while driving , find this better than using car socket as runs all the time and does not kick in and out at stops.
Anyway just my thoughts :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:40:09 AM by Digger »

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:15:32 AM »
Me thinks you get whatyou pays fore ! >:D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »
Hey Sweepa will give both the cool up test today and cleaning car and camper , what a lot of red dust ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 10:37:34 PM »
Both set to max cool on 240v
Engal 13.1 deg  Primus 12 deg start temp
5min  E 9.7   P 12
10min E 6     p 11
15min E 2.7  p 9
20min E 1.2      p 6
25min E -2       p 3
30min E -4.3    p 0
35min E -6.5    p -1
40min E -7.6    p -6
45min E -9.6    p -11
50min E -11.5  p -15
55min E -13.5  p -19
60min E -14.2  p  -15
65min E -15.6  p -19
70min E -16.9  p -16
75min E -18     p -18
80min E -18     p-18
Cheers Digger :cheers:

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
Diggity Dig,

So anyone had one long term?? Have been offered a 60 for a good price.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xmasbaby67

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:15 PM »
Had ours for just over 3 years now and so far so good. It goes camping and onto job sites also.  We've had no issues thus far.

I think we paid around $900 for ours brand new.
2009 12ft CUSTOMLINE towed by 2005 VX Prado