Author Topic: 3 way fridge repair, Perth.  (Read 2005 times)

Offline eventyr

• Tent User
  • What do I write here?
    • jamesholbeachpics
3 way fridge repair, Perth.
« on: September 14, 2020, 08:20:08 PM »
I have a Thetford N304 3 way in the van. (The van is a 2015 so prob fridge is similar age). The pilot is lighting (after some effort) but it is not cooling down on gas. It has been used and abused in some of the toughest dustiest conditions, so pretty impressed it has lasted this long. Any one recommend some quick checks I shouldCarry out and a repairer is I can not fix it myself?
CT: "Harry" a Goldstream Storm RL Vacationer Series III  MY2015 - Mods: 250W PV - Victron Regulator - Perm. B.E.S.T. Water filter - External water, storage, lighting, 12V power ... 
Tow: "Pearl" a MY13 LC200 Sahara
1 Husband, 1 wife, 1 miss teenager, 1 mister growing up

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 3 way fridge repair, Perth.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 08:42:30 PM »
My brand new at the time 3 way Dometic would light the pilot light but not cool down. Turned out the main jet was blocked with a thread paste. Maybe check your main jet for a build up of dust or something.
The following users thanked this post: eventyr

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:49:58 PM »
Hi,
   yep, pull off the back and expose  the main jet.
(Check the flame height while you can see where it is, it should be like a small Bunsen burner, nice blue flame about 12mm high with a bit of noise)
The only wire I had at the time that was fine enough to clean the junk in the hole, was a strand of wire from a metal flywire screen, but you may find, or some one may suggest a better source.
Take care not to twist pipes as you undo the fittings, a second spanner can help holding the mating fitting.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 01:29:39 AM »
Does it cool on 240v. If so then the fridge itself is ok and wont be a costly fix. As mentioned blow out the burner section, check flame and check to see if a spider has built a web up above the burner, That happened on a old one I had. get a mirror and a torch, shine light down the burner tube and see if it comes down tube. the burner section comes out easily.
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/pdf/ThetfordFridgeManual.pdf

Offline eventyr

• Tent User
  • What do I write here?
    • jamesholbeachpics
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 05:57:43 PM »
Does it cool on 240v. If so then the fridge itself is ok and wont be a costly fix. As mentioned blow out the burner section, check flame and check to see if a spider has built a web up above the burner, That happened on a old one I had. get a mirror and a torch, shine light down the burner tube and see if it comes down tube. the burner section comes out easily.
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/pdf/ThetfordFridgeManual.pdf

Thank you so much for the link to the manual! Followed the instructions, removed the orifice - it was covered in dust. Cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner, replaced ... good as new!!
CT: "Harry" a Goldstream Storm RL Vacationer Series III  MY2015 - Mods: 250W PV - Victron Regulator - Perm. B.E.S.T. Water filter - External water, storage, lighting, 12V power ... 

Offline eventyr

• Tent User
  • What do I write here?
    • jamesholbeachpics
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 06:01:12 PM »
Pics!

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 09:07:56 AM »
I had a goldstream with the same fridge.
I found that on 12 volt it was useless so to avoid the problem you had i would simply turn the fridge off when i left camp and had some covers made up for the vents to keep the dust out

I found that over a 6hr travelling day the temp inside the fridge only raised about 2 degrees. I also put some computer fans behind the vent on a switch to bring it back down when i stopped
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 09:17:10 AM »
A good result... :cup: :cup:

FWIW, I'm led to believe that most of the issues related to poor operation on 12v can be traced to inadequate cabling.....but no personal experience to confirm it.....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
12v on any 3 way system is pretty much not good for cooling, but does help you get longer between needing to use gas.  So longer day trips etc. 

It does improve the higher the voltage you can deliver it, but still never sensational, and definitely not something you'd use when your vehicle is switched off. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 11:52:32 AM by Jon Burrell - Tentworld »
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores