Author Topic: Tinny movers  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
Tinny movers
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
Those that have had tinny's on their campers - how do you get the tinny to the water once setup?

Has anyone used tinny movers? A fold up trailer isn't really an option for me, so the tinny mover clamp on wheels are attractive.

Any idea how they go on soft sand/any mods to them to make them better?

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Tinny movers
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:51:36 AM »
They go fine on the hard, we used to drag a 10 foot tinny around behind a push bike on Coochie with them. For soft sand you have to go straight to beach wheels. Either the real thing - beachwheelsaustralia.com or type beach wheels into ebay for the knockoffs. It involves welding a longer axle onto the tinny movers but is worthwhile if you are pushing over any sort of sand.
edit - you also need a hard chine angle on the tinny for the movers to grip onto - they don't suit all tinnys.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:53:33 AM by GBC »

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »
I was in the same position that you are in when I had a soft floor with the tinny on top. No room for a Bulldog or the like so got some clamp ons.  They were better than nothing but made hard work of soft sand especially with the motor on. My wife and I resorted to man handling it and hoped that someone might come along and offer to help which they often did. I formed the view that there really aren't many workable options to the trailer or roof rack - which of course only works if you can drive onto the beach etc.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
Have seen  a DIY  set of transom fold down wheels years ago using Golf bag cart wheels on a length of 25 mm sq gal RHS  hinged into a 30 mm C section upright on the transom that worked ok ....
Started to make a set up but sold my boat before finishing them .
Would need to keep any weight close to the stern though as most tinnies would be 50 / 60 kg and youd be picking that up at the bow and dragging it
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:22:35 AM »
Hi TH, My dad had a system on his 3,8m tinny it was all s/s with coil springs and regdo to 40ks an hour, It used the boat as the chassy and the wheel just bolted to the back with brackets that could be taken off once near the water the wheels could be folded up or taken off, there was a small draw bar that that went on the noise it could taken off as well, worked a treat can not remember the name oft though, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »
They go fine on the hard, we used to drag a 10 foot tinny around behind a push bike on Coochie with them. For soft sand you have to go straight to beach wheels. Either the real thing - beachwheelsaustralia.com or type beach wheels into ebay for the knockoffs. It involves welding a longer axle onto the tinny movers but is worthwhile if you are pushing over any sort of sand.
edit - you also need a hard chine angle on the tinny for the movers to grip onto - they don't suit all tinnys.

It's a v-nose punt so I think I should be good on the hard chine angle I hope. Not too sure on boats this is my first and I'm yet to take it out, so still learning ha.

I'll look into those wheels. I was considering getting a length of PVC pipe to go over the existing rubber wheels with a cap at the end for support, hopefully in effect widening the wheels and helping it float over the sand. Not sure if it's just a pipe dream though, pardon the pun.

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
I was in the same position that you are in when I had a soft floor with the tinny on top. No room for a Bulldog or the like so got some clamp ons.  They were better than nothing but made hard work of soft sand especially with the motor on. My wife and I resorted to man handling it and hoped that someone might come along and offer to help which they often did. I formed the view that there really aren't many workable options to the trailer or roof rack - which of course only works if you can drive onto the beach etc.

Yeah this is my issue. I reckon on hard stuff the movers will be fine but hopefully can adapt them for soft sand use. I can always winch it up with the car but trying to keep things as easy as possible and avoid damage

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 07:39:35 AM »
It's a v-nose punt so I think I should be good on the hard chine angle I hope. Not too sure on boats this is my first and I'm yet to take it out, so still learning ha.

I'll look into those wheels. I was considering getting a length of PVC pipe to go over the existing rubber wheels with a cap at the end for support, hopefully in effect widening the wheels and helping it float over the sand. Not sure if it's just a pipe dream though, pardon the pun.

We tried that on the kayak trolley. Slip some 110 over the tyre then reinflate. Better but not great - and really noisy on the hard.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
I know they fit skis to aircraft that land in snow eg http://www.summitaircraft.com/products/aircraft-skis

Would something like that work, using cut down water skis / board / skateboard, or even just some ply ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 08:46:26 AM »
I know they fit skis to aircraft that land in snow eg http://www.summitaircraft.com/products/aircraft-skis

Would something like that work, using cut down water skis / board / skateboard, or even just some ply ???

Just to expand that a bit from my experience with boogie boards and big sand hills as a kid - smooth surfaces actually stick to the sand, but if you apply surfboard wax or candle wax to the underside of the board they go like sh!t off a shovel... Hopefully a scientist can explain that one.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 07:14:15 PM »
Just to expand that a bit from my experience with boogie boards and big sand hills as a kid - smooth surfaces actually stick to the sand, but if you apply surfboard wax or candle wax to the underside of the board they go like sh!t off a shovel... Hopefully a scientist can explain that one.
Due to less surface area in contact with the sand. Opposite of when you let down your tyres to increase surface area and increase traction.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline sonof8pies

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »
I made a set of clamp on wheels loosely based on the tinny mover wheels but with a bigger tyre.
Did 3 months this year through Kimberleys and west coast.
Worked really well on soft sand and slow speed dirt road.
Made a simple bar that fits into the towbar receiver to tow it behind the car.
I used cheap wheels with no bearings and they held up surprisingly well.
If you position the wheels right it balances really well then just push it into the water til it floats, wheels off and away you go.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: GBC, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
I made a set of clamp on wheels loosely based on the tinny mover wheels but with a bigger tyre.
Did 3 months this year through Kimberleys and west coast.
Worked really well on soft sand and slow speed dirt road.
Made a simple bar that fits into the towbar receiver to tow it behind the car.
I used cheap wheels with no bearings and they held up surprisingly well.
If you position the wheels right it balances really well then just push it into the water til it floats, wheels off and away you go.
nice cheap simple solution
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
nice cheap simple solution

This looks great Bird, basically want I want to replicate. Might pickup the tinny movers from bcf or whatever and see how it goes. Replace the wheels with bigger diameter and width if need be.

Any pics of your towbar attachment and how you made it? This would be ideal for launching, save me carrying it by hand. (My other thought is just to use the car winch and winch it)

Offline sonof8pies

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »
Mine looks a bit dodgy but worked ok and i just made it from bits i had laying around.
If i was going to do it again i think id just buy a tinnie hitch.
My brother used the tinnie mover wheels from bcf and had trouble in soft sand with the wheels dragging which then twisted the wheel until it would come off.
I would put on a bigger wheel and weld a bit of 20mm rod about 100mm long to the section that clamps up under the chine.
Makes it much more secure.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk