Author Topic: Newbie just purchased jayco swan need help with optional extras  (Read 5298 times)

Offline TG68

• Learning the Ropes
 Hi all. Just upgraded from a lifetime in a tent to a jayco swan touring model. Need help for optional extras. Have bag awnings, annexe walls,bed flys, gas bayonets, roof racks, tv/radio. Thinking of adding - extended draw bar (30cm), and wondering weather need antenna (jayco will not provide with roof racks), do I need al ko esc, wondering what I do for bikes, , and do I need battery, if yes then do I need solar panels (will mainly be in caravan parks). Any other options I should get?  Do I upgrade to outback - tow vehicle commodore, wonder how outback works with commodore. Any help or where I go on site to see previous forums on these topics appreciated.

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
Re: Newbie just purchased jayco swan need help with optional extras
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »
First thing loose the bag awning we had one on our Swan and it drove me nuts  but a fiama or something similar

We also got the annexe used it once never again

We had Jayco roof racks added though they are only connected via tech screws so may not be a bad thing to get your own

Defiantly need a battery even for running the fridge while driving we run 2 x100ah

Solar panels only if your camping away from power but that is an easy add we have 200w on our camper full time.

Antenna again something that may or may not work depending on where you are

If the tow vehicle is a commodore on road is fine an outback will add to much weight to the tow ball

Look up my posts we had a swan

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
x2 on the awning. The bag awning can be a bit of a chore, get some type of pull out/wind out one.

The bed end awnings are good as they are though. Just change the side awning.

For caravan parks, I'd keep the annex walls, and maybe ditch the battery. The fridge will run off your car whilst travelling, and it's a pretty simple job to add a battery at a later date if you feel you need one.

Upgrading to the Outback would depend on where you plan to travel. If it's mostly caravan parks near sealed roads, an Outback might not be needed. Have a look where others have taken their standard campers.

Have fun!

Paul

Offline TG68

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:23:44 PM »
Bag awnings and annexe have been thrown in for free, part of melbourne caravan show package. I get that they are more difficult to use than fiama type awning, but I think I will need for the annexe to sleep family of 5 including 2 teenagers, and storage. I hope they are not too painful.

Would you get extended drawbar for ease of reversing, and maybe to put bikes on?

How about Al Ko esc to control swaying van?

Batteries, solar panels, bike racks, are these something you can get after market? Or if I decide I need better getting with van now?

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 08:33:32 PM »
You can’t get an extended draw bar later. Think it cost me $300. Better option for bikes etc BUT only worthwhile if you car can deal with the added ball wieght.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

Offline TG68

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
How much tow ball weight would 2 to 4 bikes add if on tow bar?

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »
How much tow ball weight would 2 to 4 bikes add if on tow bar?

12-15kg per bike + bike carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan