Author Topic: Air Bags. The story is not over yet.  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Air Bags. The story is not over yet.
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »
The last fatality that was in the news wasn't actually the impact of the head into the steering wheel that caused the fatality, it was the piece of metal that was fired by the airbag mechanism that severed his caratoid artery and spinal cord... That was the fatal deployment of the airbag that led to death, and yes, not having an airbag would have been safer.in that collision.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-23/faulty-takata-airbag-coroner-inquiry-death-cabramatta-man/11538628

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/man-who-died-in-airbag-malfunction-would-have-been-quadriplegic-if-he-survived-inquest-told-20190924-p52ucy.html (use private browsing to open)
Yep.. but some people seem to think that airbags will save the world, stop deaths all around... it may come as a shock to them - they wont.
I laugh when I see people saying 'oh i wouldnt buy that car it doesnt have 45 airbags and Shit.. ex bought a car the other week, couldnt tell you how many airbags it has, 100% DILLIGAF. If the car suits, buy it.
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Air Bags. The story is not over yet.
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 08:16:38 PM »
Yep.. but some people seem to think that airbags will save the world, stop deaths all around... it may come as a shock to them - they wont.
I laugh when I see people saying 'oh i wouldnt buy that car it doesnt have 45 airbags and Shit.. ex bought a car the other week, couldnt tell you how many airbags it has, 100% DILLIGAF. If the car suits, buy it.

Yep, none of my vehicles have air bags (1978 HJ45, 1994 FZJ80, 1992 XT600, 2007 WR250 and 3x pushys) - instead they rely on being defensive and planning ahead because for each one in turn:
1) The brakes are ordinary (drums all round - but will lock if stamped on)
2) It's a slow moving thing
3) It's a motorbike... you're vulnerable as
4) It's another motorbike... see 3)
5) They're 2 wheelers that some people don't think should be on the road, and see 3) again.

Having had an airbag go off on me, there's a few things people need to be aware of driving with them; the main one is that driving with your hands at quarter to 3 is a good plan - but expect burns on the inside of your arms after the bag deploys. It means your arms don't get you in the face.