Author Topic: Speed limit for Learners when traveling interstate  (Read 5085 times)

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Speed limit for Learners when traveling interstate
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »
Buggered if I can find a reference apart from assuming you need to follow the rules of the state you are in.

We are queenlanders  traveling across the border, normally young fella sits on the speed limit in Qld but now we are holding traffic up having to sit on 90

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Speed limit for Learners when traveling interstate
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:37:52 AM »
Unfortunately that's what you have to do. 90 is the learner limit in NSW and VIC regardless of where you're from, Tassie too I believe.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 11:42:53 AM »
Open Rant.

Whilst I think having a lower limit for learners is absolutely stupid because it adds to the stress of the learner when they see a convoy built up behind them.  I do think it provides an EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY to teach a younger driver some common courtesy.

Given they're limited to a speed below the mainstream traffic, teach them to carefully identify places where they can safely pull to the side of the road and allow the mainstream traffic to pass.

I fully understand folks out for a drive to look at he countryside.  I don't understand these same folks on single lane road, allowing a massive build up of traffic behind them, all for the want of pulling to the side and allowing them to pass.

Close Rant
Former TOPNDR.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:25 AM »
Unfortunately that's what you have to do. 90 is the learner limit in NSW and VIC regardless of where you're from, Tassie too I believe.

Didn't realize Vic was the same....and we are flying to tassie next week although he won't have a chance to drive.

Might kick him out of the driver seat.

No biggie overall.....I'm surprised QLD isn't 90 as well

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »
You travel at the speed of the L plater in the state you are from. 

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-nsw.html

Speed limits

An interstate or overseas learner, when driving in NSW, must not drive/ride faster than the posted speed limit or any lesser maximum speed limit if one is applied to your licence by your home state or country.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
Didn't realize Vic was the same....and we are flying to tassie next week although he won't have a chance to drive.

Might kick him out of the driver seat.

No biggie overall.....I'm surprised QLD isn't 90 as well
That's wrong.  I think this info is from Royalauto, the RACV members' magazine. In Victoria L's and P's drive at the posted speed ie up to 110km/hr.    Victorian Learners have to obey the limits of the state they're in but for P's it's whatever their licence allows them to do at home.   So a Victorian P can drive at 110km/hr in NSW but a NSW P can only go 80km/hr in Victoria.
As alnjan says, in NSW the limit is based on what conditions are on your licence and Victorian P's are not speed limited.   Edit: The NSW info is different to what Royalauto said about L's.   Victorian Learners are not speed limited so that would also apply in NSW.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:53:34 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 01:11:07 PM »
In Vic the same speed limit applies to all drivers L, P and full regardless of where you are from.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »
For Victoria

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/interstate-car-learner-drivers-using-victorian-roads

Speed limit
All learner drivers can drive at the posted speed limit in Victoria.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 01:24:58 PM »
For Victoria

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/interstate-car-learner-drivers-using-victorian-roads

Speed limit
All learner drivers can drive at the posted speed limit in Victoria.

No.   From your reference:
When driving in Victoria you must also comply with any conditions applied to your learner permit by your home licensing authority.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:28:22 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »
No.   From your reference:
When driving in Victoria you must also comply with any conditions applied to your learner permit by your home licensing authority.

The only reference to speed limit is that quoted, "All learner drivers can drive at the posted speed limit in Victoria".  I agree normally the speed restriction on the Learner Driver from their state of issue is the accepted speed limit as an Interstate Learner Driver.  Thus creates the confusion.  You would have to see what the actual road rules are Victoria. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 01:34:20 PM »
Works in reverse also. My daughter has her red P's from NSW and is restricted to drive at 90 in Qld. It is set by the state the licence is issued in. Other restrictions also apply such as towing a trailer

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
Read the link alnjan posted. Restrictions are listed eg L Plates, experienced driver etc   Restrictions affect all licences in that category.
Conditions are things like Glasses, automatic cars etc. conditions apply to the individual licence.

Speed is not a condition as viewed in Victoria.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:57:01 PM by #jonesy »
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 07:47:32 PM »
Works in reverse also. My daughter has her red P's from NSW and is restricted to drive at 90 in Qld. It is set by the state the licence is issued in. Other restrictions also apply such as towing a trailer
only just read recently that Tassie has a 90kph limit for towing trailers (I knew WA had a limit)...luckily we didn't get booked when we toured the state, as we just sat on the 100kph when we could, unaware there was a limit for trailers...lol
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: Paddler Ed

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 03:38:13 AM »
It will never happen, but wouldn't one set of rules Australia wide be a good idea.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Speed limit for Learners when traveling interstate
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 06:42:05 AM »
Open Rant.

Whilst I think having a lower limit for learners is absolutely stupid because it adds to the stress of the learner when they see a convoy built up behind them.  I do think it provides an EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY to teach a younger driver some common courtesy......

Close Rant

I believe it provides the parent with the perfect opportunity to show some common curtesy and consider that perhaps little Mary doesn't need to be driving at 70km/h on the only road back from the coast on the afternoon at the end of an Australia Day long weekend.
I know me and the other 900 cars that followed little Mary doing 70km/h for the whole trip from the coast to Canberra would have appreciated it if dad had of just said, "You know what love, I'll drive today and we'll let everyone get home at a decent hour. You can have drive tomorrow when there isn't half of Sydney stuck behind us trying to drive home tonight".

/Rant.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:44:20 AM by Pete79 »
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
Open Rant.

Whilst I think having a lower limit for learners is absolutely stupid because it adds to the stress of the learner when they see a convoy built up behind them.  I do think it provides an EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY to teach a younger driver some common courtesy

Close Rant

And for those experienced driver that same "opportunity" to practice that same skill "common courtesy".
It also allows the experienced driver the ability to practice that other skill that is little used on our roads, "patience"

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
only just read recently that Tassie has a 90kph limit for towing trailers (I knew WA had a limit)...luckily we didn't get booked when we toured the state, as we just sat on the 100kph when we could, unaware there was a limit for trailers...lol

The speed limit in WA for all towed vehicles is 100kph.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 06:14:47 AM »
The speed limit in WA for all towed vehicles is 100kph.
like I say there's a limit, we can do 110kph in Qld if that is the posted speed...I assume WA has 110kph areas?
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 06:53:39 AM »
Why do they make it so ****in hard???

Why cant these ****stains running the country just pull their heads in and have uniform rules on speed limits - its probably the easiest one of all the rules to align...

If it aint hard enough for kids to learn to drive with arsehats surrounding them with full licenses that CANT drive (example anyone from Splingvale/Box Hill and surrounds), if you live near a border town where the road may cross the border 20 times in an hour with different limits but no signs to say your crossing the border - it must be a nightmare, the bacon must love it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 07:06:56 AM »
It will never happen, but wouldn't one set of rules Australia wide be a good idea.

bwahahahahahahaha..........................too much common sense there jeepers, we can't have that.......................
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
like I say there's a limit, we can do 110kph in Qld if that is the posted speed...I assume WA has 110kph areas?
Yes your right, WA is 110 kph unless otherwise posted and Trucks, trailers, caravans etc are 100kph.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »
80 kph for L platers in Tassie. My daughter had a Vic License, but had to revert to lower speed limits once here.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)