Author Topic: Advise on whether to buy a Jayco Outback or Touring camper  (Read 14761 times)

Offline jaup

• Learning the Ropes
Advise on whether to buy a Jayco Outback or Touring camper
« on: September 20, 2016, 12:02:19 PM »
Hi all.

We are  looking at buying a Jayco camper trailer such as a Hawk or Eagle and I am finding it hard to choose between an Outback and Touring version.

The camper will be towed by a medium/large euro 4wd and I am trying to establish whether its worth going for the Outback version which is quite a bit heavier. The camper will he doing %95+ of its time on sealed roads and the rest on gravel roads, with the most adventurous being a road like the Oodnadatta track or maybe up to the cape. I am aware you can life the touring version for a bit more clearance also, which could be an option.

Also any tips on what to look for when buying the model prior to current, say post 2010?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Advise on whether to buy a Jayco Outback or Touring camper
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »
Well the missus and I have a 2002 roady Dove and this post may help-
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=49514.0
Had an 85 roady with the kids and you're not going seriously off road solo with kids and we've found the same without them going solo. (I don't want to impose on other people's busy day to bail us out) I've certainly pushed the Dove way beyond what Jayco would recommend but realistically anything with large overhangs and weight is limited in serious rough stuff and like you say most of it is gravel roads at worst (others would have to speak for a Cape trip). Besides we find there's plenty of places out of the way to camp and push off for a day in the fourby for 95% of places like you say. Personally I don't think we're missing much more with our roady instead of an Outback unless it were a Finch perhaps.

PS: Besides then I'd have to get a Grand Vitara instead of the mighty mouse SX4 that gets the puzzled looks from the winch and accessories mob when I roll up :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:33:31 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
Last year I bought a Swan Outback, rather than a Touring version and the following is a bit of my thoughts:
  • Resale - its generally accepted you will sell for better price and quicker with an Outback model.
  • Ground clearance is much better. For the larger campers like an Eagle the touring model may be difficult to set up on a sloping site. The last three years I had a sloping site at Bendalong which had to be camped length wise down the hill. I reckon the touring model would have struggled to level properly. Plus many gravel roads have water bars which would surely mean a touring model would scrape over. Not all will, but some could cause issues. On the weekend I just checked out the drive down to Burralow Creek campsite near Kurrajong and I reckon a touring model would seriously struggle over some water bars on the steeper sections. You can undersling the axle and that will add 3-4 inches which may be enough for your needs.
  • J-tech independent suspension, which will mean less bouncing around especially on gravel roads. I reckon this is a big factor, as a smoother camper will mean less stressful and probably safer towing. The Outback model also has 15inch wheels, bigger than the touring model so this will help for smoother towing also.
  • Battery and solar provision, which means you can camp off-grid. Without the battery you wont have lighting without power point access. And the solar provision can mean you easily add solar panels if wanted later. A battery is an option on the touring models if you want also.
  • Off road drop jacks. Work heaps better than the touring model ones. But can be an option on the touring if wanted. 
  • Has extra body cladding, which will reduce damage from stone chips etc. But if you are 95% on road may not be the biggest issue.
  • One negative thing to consider also, it you are shorter, like me (171cm) the Outback model is a high reach at times. If I need to get something up on the roof racks, I need a small ladder or esky to stand on. That's no problem to me, but if a person is not so spritely, they may struggle to reach sometimes.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.
The following users thanked this post: LisaMoose

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »
I can't comment on the tracks you have mentioned however I can add my thoughts in re to the touring van. Almost two years ago we bought an on road Flamingo ST, it is set up for short term off grid camping including solar, battery, two water tanks, gas hot water, shower/toilet etc.
We tow it with two different utes and also a horse truck. It tows great with all three and has never been an issue.
We bought the on road due to availability and costs. The same van in the outback model when we were looking was more than 10k extra. No way could we stretch to that.
If money was not an issue, I would 'like' the outback version only for the height with exiting gullies etc. In saying that, the only time we have bottomed out was in a caravan park that had a stupid set up.
We tow on road and gravel roads mostly. Hubby is also confident to take it on some sand tracks however we have not had holiday time off to do this. We also go to showgrounds when showing and some of the site are 'interesting' to get to.
If I was doing it again, I still could not warrant the extra 10k to buy an off road version with the travel that we do.
Trying to find the time to use our camper . . .

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »
I can't comment on the tracks you have mentioned however I can add my thoughts in re to the touring van. Almost two years ago we bought an on road Flamingo ST, it is set up for short term off grid camping including solar, battery, two water tanks, gas hot water, shower/toilet etc.
We tow it with two different utes and also a horse truck. It tows great with all three and has never been an issue.
We bought the on road due to availability and costs. The same van in the outback model when we were looking was more than 10k extra. No way could we stretch to that.
If money was not an issue, I would 'like' the outback version only for the height with exiting gullies etc. In saying that, the only time we have bottomed out was in a caravan park that had a stupid set up.
We tow on road and gravel roads mostly. Hubby is also confident to take it on some sand tracks however we have not had holiday time off to do this. We also go to showgrounds when showing and some of the site are 'interesting' to get to.
If I was doing it again, I still could not warrant the extra 10k to buy an off road version with the travel that we do.
For a new Jayco the Outback is approximately $4,000 more expensive than the touring model. Why would you be looking at $10k difference?
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »
Because that was what was around second hand when we were looking.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »
Because that was what was around second hand when we were looking.
Gotcha.

Were both Touring and Outback models you were looking at used? If they were both used, that strongly supports my first point about resale value. If you were looking at $10k price difference, and they cost $4k more when new, then the resale value is a big argument to go for the Outback version.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
Yep, we were looking at three used ST's. Two outback versions. Ours is a 2011 version, the others were 2010 and 2011.  All three were decked out with all the extras - hot water, pump, solar, double water tanks, annex, bed flies etc. The only difference was the outbacks had room for pole holders and one had a huge storage box added to the back.
I don't know if the rarity of ST's added to the price difference or not.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 03:24:29 PM »
Ok, but I think the pricing between used models can be very subjective, depending on many factors. Some owners ask unrealistic prices too - and that $10k difference for an Outback Flamingo may have been over the top.

But I found $4k to be acceptable for the Outback model on a new Swan.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:40:42 PM »
If you go for the outback version you are not limiting your options.

You may not want to go on the dirt now, but once the bug sets in you may change your tune rather quickly.
So much more to see and do when you can traverse the dirt roads.

Life is an adventure, go for it.

Cheers and good luck with your choices,
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline FJCruzin

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 07:56:37 PM »
We compared both and decided to go the OB version.  With the extras included such as the battery system, suspension, brakes and heavier duty chassis etc we went the OB for the relatively small ($4K) price difference.

As Briann532 stated, opens up more possibilities/places we can comfortably go in the OB, plus from our research found the OB version seems to have better resale $$.

8)
Live for the moment.

Tug: 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6
 CT : 2016 Jayco Swan OB

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 08:30:27 PM »
Yes I'd say buying new the Outback price differential is worth it but used is another story with limited choice and fancy asking prices. As for what to look for it's all about general condition but always canvas, canvas, canvas.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline jaup

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 06:45:25 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I reckon we will look for Outback, but if the right deal comes along for a tourer we might go that way.

Anyone have any comments on the extra weight of the Outback being noticeable when towing?

Cheers again.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »

Anyone have any comments on the extra weight of the Outback being noticeable when towing?

Well our 02' Dove states 1182kg ATM and I've got a 2L engine Suzuki rated to tow 1200kg and it tows just fine down the tar at the open road speed limit so you can trust the conservative tow ratings absolutely. Then comes the variable driving surface and weather conditions and that's all down to the nut behind the wheel and you can kiss all those lovely ratings goodbye.

Offline jaup

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
Update, we ended up purchasing a Dove Outback.

Thanks for everyone's advise.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
Update, we ended up purchasing a Dove Outback.

Thanks for everyone's advise.

Excellent work, enjoy your camping. :cheers:
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015