Author Topic: Electric Start Honda Mower. Anyone own one?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Electric Start Honda Mower. Anyone own one?
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »
G'day all,

Does anyone on here own a Honda Mower- HRX217HZU Electric start.

It's a self propelled job as well, with a new type NeXite deck (like a plastic type thing).

I've looked through a few brands on the net, the Honda's seem to have some novel ideas, I particularly like the idea of the split mulching option, where you can in theory adjust how much goes to the catcher or is mulched.....

Looking to buy one as the old standard issue Victa/Briggs Stratton mower is on it's last legs. Thinking of going all out with a self propelled electric start as my Mrs does the mowing often when I'm away at work (she's a top woman), and I'm thinking electric start self propelled might make it easier for her, and me when I'm feeling lazy, hehe.

Any feedback or advice from others?

Thanks,

Barrabart.

Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Electric Start Honda Mower. Anyone own one?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:23:48 PM »
Haven't got one of these new models, but what I can offer is that I am still using 2 honda mowers which where purchased in 1990. One used with a catcher for the good lawns and the other with a Shute for the roughy areas on our old place and still doing the same at our new property. Never missed a beat and hardly  been serviced.
Not sure if the new ones will be as reliable as the old but I would recommend you go with a genuine honda. Be careful of the knockoffs.
The following users thanked this post: Barrabart

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:16:23 AM »
G'day Rags,

Yeah mate, I'm already a fan of the Honda gear......... and I'd be buying it direct from the local Honda dealer...... Just never used a propelled mower and interested to know about the reliability of the electric starters,,,,, in saying that though, being Honda you'd reckon they'd be top notch.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 07:32:53 AM »
Honda mowers  :cup: I had one and gave to a relo when I moved interstate 18 years ago, its still going  ;D

All the lawnmower guys in the mowing business own a Honda...............that has to be say'n something.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:35:05 AM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 07:49:18 AM »
I do volunteer fencing for a farmer. During the latter wet months we have had to mow the fence line to work. I am still amazed at what his Honda mower has cut through.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 09:09:55 AM »
I bought my folks a Honda Buffalo about 15 years ago, and the only time it gets a service is when I do it, and it still starts first out second pull, every time...

It's a soft enough pull start that I wouldn't bother with electric...

My Briggs and Stratton powered Masport that I bought 25 years ago when I had a mowing round is a completely different story... A bitch to start, but just won't die...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 09:14:53 AM »
Honda is the way to go  . Pull; start is easy but key start would be better if its not too much more  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline trevc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 01:10:53 PM »
G'day all,

Does anyone on here own a Honda Mower- HRX217HZU Electric start.

IAny feedback or advice from others?

BB
I have one and use it commercially, can do up to 40 lawns a week with it.
The key start was problematic from the start and doesn't work at all now, next one I buy will just be the pull start.
Apart from that it's hard to fault.
It has a pair of bar blades which are about $60/pair, but assuming that you are only using it on your own place ghey should last for ages.
The mower is pretty heavy so takes a while to get used to manouvering around tight spaces.
It chews through Buffalo with ease but can bog down in thicker couch. If you buy it from a mower shop get them to increase the revs to around 3000rpm.

Ive had to change the drive selector cable, and have just ordered a new set of wheels as they're bald and a new catcher bag, this is after a full mowing season  which is  probably equivalent to about 20 years private residential usage.

Would I buy again, Yes.

Trev

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 01:53:20 PM »
BB
The key start was problematic from the start and doesn't work at all now, next one I buy will just be the pull start.
It has a pair of bar blades which are about $60/pair, but assuming that you are only using it on your own place ghey should last for ages.
The mower is pretty heavy so takes a while to get used to manouvering around tight spaces.
It chews through Buffalo with ease but can bog down in thicker couch. If you buy it from a mower shop get them to increase the revs to around 3000rpm.

Ive had to change the drive selector cable, and have just ordered a new set of wheels as they're bald and a new catcher bag, this is after a full mowing season  which is  probably equivalent to about 20 years private residential usage.

Would I buy again, Yes.

Trev
What he said & them some .    :cheers: ( Trev did you really buy a key start  ???  You Girl  :-*)

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »

have just ordered a new set of wheels as they're bald

Jeez Trev, that's either a lot of kays mowing or you've been dropping a clutch a bit  ;D

Tim

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »
Tim  its a lot of Ks . The average back yard , front & nature strip is about 1Km . Add 40 or so a week it dosent take long to cut out a set of plastic wheels .  l ran a set down to the white plastic rim on 1 mower , just for fun . :cheers:

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 02:56:12 PM »
Reckon I know why you needed replacement tyres Jamie...... ;D

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »
BB

Would I buy again, Yes.

Trev

Thanks for the feedback Trev, I'm assuming the electric start must come with a pull start also........ (I haven't seen one in the flesh, up at work at the moment)...... Am a bit sus on the key start also...... will have a yarn to the local sales dude, last time I was in there looking at chainsaws he seemed pretty fair dinkum in his info on different gear,,,,, so i'll see what he says too. Like I said earlier, the key start would just be a nice thing for the Mrs,,,,,,,,, see, who said romance was dead. ;D

Also does yours have the mulch bag selector lever thingy, where you can split ratio what goes to the bag, what gets mulched, does it work alright?

Offline hainess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »
Key start?
Haven't had one of those.
But the motors are the first pull every time.
Usually get 24 to 28 months out of a HR216.
At the end of that time the motor is still going great guns but the rest has turned to crap.
Rear wheels are bald after 8 months and new blades and filter at about 6 weeks.
BUT..
The last $1600 genuine Honda has fallen apart after 14 months.
The motor is still going great. Gear box worn out.Replaced it with an old rewelded one I had.
The steel quality between the 2 is like chalk and cheese.The new one is rubbish.
And it looks like the frame may not get to 24 months either.
Maybe time to go with the cheaper brand with the Honda motor.

Rod

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
Key start?
Haven't had one of those.
But the motors are the first pull every time.
Usually get 24 to 28 months out of a HR216.
At the end of that time the motor is still going great guns but the rest has turned to crap.
Rear wheels are bald after 8 months and new blades and filter at about 6 weeks.
BUT..
The last $1600 genuine Honda has fallen apart after 14 months.
The motor is still going great. Gear box worn out.Replaced it with an old rewelded one I had.
The steel quality between the 2 is like chalk and cheese.The new one is rubbish.
And it looks like the frame may not get to 24 months either.
Maybe time to go with the cheaper brand with the Honda motor.

Rod

Thanks Rod, do you use yours commercially?

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »
The size of the lawn and the type of mowing is what you need to take into consideration when contemplating a self-propelled, big open spaces where you do long runs is where you get the most benefit from a self-propelled mower but as you get down to smaller lawns with lots of obstacles the benefit decreases down to small pokey lawns where a normal lawn mower is actually easier, this comes down to the greater weight & size of a self-propelled decreasing the  maneuverability.

The Honda's of years gone by have had a great reputation and been the go to for most commercial guys, whilst they are still pretty much the go to mower the "novel ideas" you mention in general have seen a lot of operators go from raving about them to begrudgingly still using them, a lot of this was the newer designs inability to deal with wet grass which probably won't be as big of a deal to you as a commercial operator but other common gripes are the price premium, not being as robust as they used to be and the cost of parts. The motors are still great though. (I however, haven't really looked into any new models in the last year or two, so may have improved a bit.) I personally wouldn't worry about a key start, the Honda's are an easy one pull start and a key start on them is a bit of a case of adding complexity to solve a bit of a non-issue due to their ease of start.  They are still a good mower and will likely last you a very long time but the question of if they are being worth the premium they charge is probably the bigger question.

Another that is a favorite with the commercial guys is the Rover Pro 560 and 50, I have the 560 which I got crazily cheap and has a very good reputation, its more of a basic but proven design. I have had a few problems with the drive system on mine but I am the only one I have talked to that has and wonder if it has more to do with not being treated properly by staff than quality issues, the upside is the design is simple and the parts are comparatively cheap. It's sold with different engines, mine is the 910 which is a Chinese engine that people said to be wary of but it has been bullet proof. however requires quite a hard pull to start so I wouldn't recommend it for the wife but it can also come with a Kohler which should be better.

If you want to do a bucket load of reading have a look at the indmowing forum, it's to lawnmowers what myswag is to camper trailers. The thread on the ProCut 560 is 70 pages long for example.

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 11:49:29 PM »
Thanks Tryagain,

Some good feedback there as well......... my lawn is a typical suburban set up, and I was wondering about the forward reversing etc around garden beds, general 180deg turns at the end of each run, whether the self propelled would be a hindrance etc.
And yep, the Mrs can pull start our 4stroke Victa which has a Briggs & Stratton motor, this motor has been extremely reliable, and is a 1st - 2nd pull to start unit also, I don't even bother with jabbing the fuel primer button most the time.
Anyway, when I get back to Aus i'll be checking a few out, not just blindly going in and buying a Honda, just because it's a Honda, if you know what I mean.......

Bloody hell, a lawnmower forum, who'd have thought :)

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 06:48:22 AM »
Hey Barrabart, here are two professional recommendations from two of our lawn mowings finest, to assist you with your new mower and all necessary mods.  ;D ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 07:43:41 AM »
Hey Barrabart, here are two professional recommendations from two of our lawn mowings finest, to assist you with your new mower and all necessary mods.  ;D ;D
lm the Better looking Guy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
l have perfected  a method of retreading drive wheels . Pop down to the push bike shop & get hold of an old bike tyre . Not a nobby just a cross over will be fine . Cut the sidewalls off leaving only the tread  cut to the width of the wheels . Out with the cordless & the plaster screws , screw the treads to the wheels . The smooth join will help the rolling action New wheels cost about $35 , a set retread 4/ of 5/8 & a few  :cheers: This should set you up for another 4 months then do it again . The ground speed is slightly increased .   :cup:                   :cheers:
Stay tuned for more  " Hints & Tips "     :cup: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 06:52:40 PM »
lm the Better looking Guy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
l have perfected  a method of retreading drive wheels . Pop down to the push bike shop & get hold of an old bike tyre . Not a nobby just a cross over will be fine . Cut the sidewalls off leaving only the tread  cut to the width of the wheels . Out with the cordless & the plaster screws , screw the treads to the wheels . The smooth join will help the rolling action New wheels cost about $35 , a set retread 4/ of 5/8 & a few  :cheers: This should set you up for another 4 months then do it again . The ground speed is slightly increased .   :cup:                   :cheers:
Stay tuned for more  " Hints & Tips "     :cup: :cheers: :cheers:

Geez Speewah, sounds risky, .........
Operating half pissed with retread tyres at slightly higher speeds....... could end up unravelling a tread and rolling it into a ditch, especially if I was wearing double pluggers and blew one of them at the same time........ :)