Author Topic: Selling a camper trailer ( or trying to )  (Read 18879 times)

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
Selling a camper trailer ( or trying to )
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »
Hi everybody,
So I am currently trying to sell my soft floor johnnos off-road deluxe and are having no luck at all, I have had one guy offer half of what I'm asking, and after speaking to the local jayco mob  I could get more from a dealer as a trade in.
Going off gumtree and caravancampingsales i am similarly or better priced to others, same make, model, condition sort of thing.
Now I see a lot of "ABC" branded campers for sale for 5-6 grand that advertise "with all the fruit".
How can you compete with that?
Are people still buying good quality Australian made for more $$$ or has the import market stuffed that segment?
Has anyone actually had any luck selling a good quality camper for reasonable price? Or did you have to give a big discount to compete with the el cheapo " off-road camper with all the fruit".
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Greeny

• Swag User
Selling a camper trailer ( or trying to )
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
It's definitely a buyers market especially now with every 4wd mag partnering up with multiple camper trailer manufacturers and convincing new players this is what you 'need'.

I haven't sold one but I bought a 100% Australian made camper for a ridiculously low price, most people I've spoken to that own an 'ABC' camper don't even know the difference between Australian and imported, had one even try to tell me his bright blue tent was Australian Canvas cause that's what the salesman told him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: keith2437

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Selling a camper trailer ( or trying to )
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »
Set your price & stick to it . lts your to sell not theres to take .
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:47:17 PM »
My soft floor was on the market for over 18 months for all the reasons mentioned about ABC being the same as my 2nd unit.
In the end one of my nephews bought it after looking at Shit for the same price as my custom aussie one.
Good luck with it but it's a struggle to compete against misinformation.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"
The following users thanked this post: pank

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »
Good thread Jakster.  I bought my Aussie made camper 18 months ago and looked at both new Chinese options and second hand Aussie campers around $15k and a couple of older Kimberley Kampers around $20k.  It was hard to go past the allure of a shiny new Ecomate (GIC and MDC were similar prices too) hard floor with "all the fruit" for the same money we paid for our 6 year old soft floor camper.

We've had a good time with our camper, and it's done a few trips including the Cape with no dramas.  Actually, I had to replace a shockie after a rubber bush failed on the PDR corrugations.  $100 for a new set of shocks.  No biggie.  I'll never know if a Chinese camper would have coped with the trips we've done. 

I'm reluctantly trying to sell ours now, but I think the market has gotten even worse since we bought it and I fully expect it to be a battle.  If it doesn't sell, and I won't be giving it away, I'm tempted to mod it to become something like a Drifta DOT gear trailer as that's the sort of thing I'd go for next time around.  My wife wants a caravan, but that's a whole 'nother story.... 

2015 Isuzu MU-X

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
All depends how urgent u wanna sell it... if your happy to take cheaper now then do it.. or ask top $ and wait 12 months - then sell ut for the chealer price in the end anyway..
There was a KK on here 2yrs forsale.. but he was asking phone numbers for the price...
The market will determine the  price... lucky ding has ****ed the market. But this subject has been done numerous times... your not alone.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Col59

Offline Johnnos3003

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
how long has it been for sale?

If your that keen too move on then take the hit and trade it in...

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 08:56:51 PM »
Sounds like a tough market for this kind of thing for anyone in the same boat. And it's correct that Most people don't know or care about the difference between good quality Aussie built and cheap imported crap.
I am keen to sell, however don't want to give it away, but, I do have a big trip planned in November and want to get the new jayco camper by then. That gives me 3 and a bit months to sell and buy.
Mine has only been for sale a few weeks but there has been ZERO genuine interest.
We bought it new 2 years ago and didn't expect to be selling so soon, but things change as they do so its time to move on. Looks like I'll be taking a fair $$$ hit either way, hopefully someone sees the value in it and snaps it up.

Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 09:02:09 PM »
Are you on the fAcebook sites mate, that's where I sold my Jayco in 15 mins

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 09:08:12 PM »
Are you on the fAcebook sites mate, that's where I sold my Jayco in 15 mins

Swannie

Yep, the local camping, buy swap and sell pages and camper trailer ones... No hits there either.
Which page did you use?
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
I think it's caravan and camping fit swap sell has 107,000 members
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 09:36:57 PM »
Interesting read.. I too am in the same situation.. Basically a very well looked after and lightly used Johnno evolution with a lot of extras including boat rack etc and a genuine reason for sale as we are off around oz and need a caravan.. I must have spent close to $35k a few years ago with all the additions and extras and grown to love it.

Put the ad on gumtree a few weeks ago for $26k negotiable and zero interest not even an enquiry.. So looks like I'll have to drop a lot more to even get a bite or I might just store for a year.

I do think the Chinese cheaper imports have a lot to do with it and the fact that the booms are over there isn't that much disposable cash around.
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 09:50:17 PM »
I am on the buy side at the moment and unfortunately i am budget limited to $5000. Not rushing into it.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »
You need to look at wat else 26k will get you... jaycos... KKs...etc etc.

I think yours is a soft floor... i think youll struggle to get half that... it would be a very specific buyer to spend 20k on a used softy instead of a KK...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline J.R

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 06:04:13 AM »
It's just not campers either.

Dirt bikes and jet skis are also affected.

Try selling a good jap bikes for kids when you can buy a Wang King import bike for $500.

Or sell a 18month old Seadoo GTS when you can buy a brand new plastic Spark for less.

I've given up on selling now. I'm now a hoarder.

Instead of giving my Shit away, we are going to keep what ever we have when we upgrade. It's going to make a nice toy collection. They don't cost anything siting in the shed.

The following users thanked this post: Big Damo

Offline J.R

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 06:08:32 AM »
We had a 2012 Lifestyle Walkthrough (with their imported canvas tent) that was used once when we purchased a Junco Eagle.

We tried to sell it, I was very close to keeping it and having the best of both worlds since we owned them.

Same issue, I'd get some dude offer less than half (sale price was only $9000) with a justification of they can buy a brand new Yum Cha model for less.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 06:54:02 AM »
Timing might have a lot to do with it.

Trying to sell a camper trailer in the dead of winter when only the hard core go camping will be difficult. Maybe hold on to it until the peak camping season when there are a few long weekends coming up ?

When it came time to sell my old Cub, I put up for sale in Feb/March to capitalize on the long weekends and people wanting one for the Easter break..........sold in 2 weeks with no haggling over price.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
I think it's the sign of the times.
A lot of Aussie's are doing it tough these days. High cost of living puts a dent in a lot of markets. Most people are on a strict budget and want value for money......................quality is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm in the market to buy a camper at the moment. I was lucky only to lose $1000 selling my last 2002 Jayco OB Finch after purchase price and all the modding to a family that knew what they were buying.
This time my strategy is the same, to buy something that holds its value and is a bit rarer BUT to purchase the camper in great condition with at least 90% of mods already done it's cheaper that way and time is on my side this time.

I'm waiting for late spring to hit as the market traditionally gets flooded by then and the prices get better. 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:03:40 AM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

UIZ733

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »
I have bought and sold a few campers, including selling my Vista recently. To sell a camper you need to get one (at least) person to see it. The challenge is convincing someone it is worth viewing. All my camper sales had just one viewer. Good quality photographs are absolutely essential.
If your yard or driveway is not suitable and you don't have photographs taken in a camping location, take it to a local park/reserve/open area and photograph it extensively. Phone shots (I know many will not agree) will not have the desired quality in my opinion.
Once you have a viewer you must establish his/her viability and have a plan. You cannot let the 'right person' escape. For example solar panels and fridge could be a sweetener that could swing the deal. I know the Engel might be your prized possession, however if you REALLY want to sell you may have to compromise.
Good luck with the sale.

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »
You need to look at wat else 26k will get you... jaycos... KKs...etc etc.

I think yours is a soft floor... i think youll struggle to get half that... it would be a very specific buyer to spend 20k on a used softy instead of a KK...

You are probably right, however it is in fantastic condition, Aussie made etc.. I am also thinking it's the wrong time of the year to sell.. It's only 15deg c today.. I wouldn't be looking at buying a camper in this weather!
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

UIZ733

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »
I wouldn't be looking at buying a camper in this weather!
I would ........................If I thought I could get a bargain.
The following users thanked this post: Wunderlust, loanrangie

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 01:38:49 PM »
If only Toyota made campers, they'd hold their value real well :)

It is not just campers, I can't even sell at a give away price a top quality NZ canvas touring tent.

The consumer society we live in and the race to the bottom with price, and therefore quality, has killed the 2nd hand market for sellers, good if you're a buyer though.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
The old adage of it's only worth what people are willing to pay for it is always true. Time of year can have an effect on it but I think the days of camper trailers holding high value are well in the past. Maybe look at what $15,000 will buy you in the new import market as that is probably what the real competition is, most people will pay a premium for Quality Australian made but not a whole lot. You also have to take into account the "showroom tax" which can be high and I think is the bigger issue than the Aussie vs import effect, My trailer was used once 6 moths old and I got it for almost 40% less than the purchase price. 

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 02:02:57 PM »
If only Toyota made campers, they'd hold their value real well :)

in a way they do... they're called a Tvan. With 2002 models still selling for $22k

I've never seen a trailer sell for more than it cost... 15 years after it was manufactured.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
2018 GXL 78 Troopy with Alu-Cab conversion
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56
The following users thanked this post: Coiled

Online GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 03:00:18 PM »
Just listed one this week. So far no bites but have started to spread the field to get a bit more bait out for buyers. I believe i have given the old Tambo every chance to sell and with a great price that makes it attractive.

Its not really the season to be selling either but you have to start some time.

GG

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk