Author Topic: Transferring Rego to NSW  (Read 8345 times)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Transferring Rego to NSW
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:10:53 AM »
Oh My F****N god bring on Aus wide rego and licenses

What a pain in the ass
Blue Slip
Green Slip
A long range tank that may or may not need engineering depending on who you talk to
Problems with middle name cause one document has whole name and another has just initials

And that was just for the car gotta do it all again with the camper
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
Re: Transferring Rego to NSW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »
My QLD>NSW camper transfer was quite straightforward... apart from failing rego that required an engineers cert to sort out incl. repositioning and refabricating a new number plate holder + re-wiring because the QLD trailer plates are small & square whereas NSW ONLY do Trailer number plates in standard rectangles - and the only place the NSW plate  would fit and be legal was on the rear wheel bracket.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline ivan

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:03:11 PM »
Changed camper from vic to nsw. RtA charged me stamp duty which they can't on second hand went to dept( of who ever looks after gov money) and they made RTA give my money back. So don't pay stamp duty on second hand.
PS have all details if needed.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 06:15:13 PM »
Quote from: ivan
Changed camper from vic to nsw. RtA charged me stamp duty which they can't on second hand went to dept( of who ever looks after gov money) and they made RTA give my money back. So don't pay stamp duty on second hand.
so you don't have to pay stamp duty on used cars too?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 08:01:32 PM »
so you don't have to pay stamp duty on used cars too?

Yes you do but not if it's yours from another state and you are transferring it .

Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
NSW is simple in comparison to the opposite of swapping from NSW to Qld. In the throws of sorting our Jayco Expanda which we own and have currently rego in NSW.. We need to do this after moving to Qld and this is the last vehicle after doing cars and 2 trailers under 750kg. So tow it down for Road Worthy  and get Road Worthy tick, next need Gas Inspection even though there is a current gas compliance plate in place, this is not an issue for me as I am an licences gas fitter in both states and will issue the required certificate and will probably find that I can't do my own!
Go to RTA and they send me away as I now need to arrange a Heavy Vehicle inspection as the weight is in excess of 750kg and they require this additional check so the height, width,and design requirements are within spec, this is in addition to the road worthy inspection. The van has a current vehicle compliance plate in place.
It certainly was not that hard when we bought the van from Vic to NSW and got rego.
I am finding QLD are stuck behind the times in many ways and certainly in my area of employment, over regulated and lack vision in regards to innovation.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 06:23:26 AM »
Don't forget the fun of having to get them inspected yearly when looking to renew the rego (5 years and older) >:(.
Had to take a day off work the other day to do the box trailer, camper trailer, campervan and daughters car which all fall due in about 2 months of each other. The trailer inspections consist of < 5 mins each to check lights, visual underneath and check the wheels for play ($30 each thanks very much). Took bloody longer to hook them up and get them down there. Good thing though is that the inspections are current for 6 months so can get everything done at once

Rod

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
Don't forget the fun of having to get them inspected yearly when looking to renew the rego (5 years and older) >:(.
Had to take a day off work the other day to do the box trailer, camper trailer, campervan and daughters car which all fall due in about 2 months of each other. The trailer inspections consist of < 5 mins each to check lights, visual underneath and check the wheels for play ($30 each thanks very much). Took bloody longer to hook them up and get them down there. Good thing though is that the inspections are current for 6 months so can get everything done at once

Rod

Great i knew i had to get the car done every year but was not sure on the camper trailer as well
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline johnhu

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »
Thank goodness I had my vehicles (and camper) are registered in a state (WA), where once initially registered, there are no further annual/semi-annual inspections required.

Plus the option of having registration renewal reminders sent to email or SMS, and the payments made online or via bpay mean that once the vehicle/camper is registered I can be travelling anywhere in the country (ie: not at a WA address) and won't miss a renewal or have the bother of getting an inspection to pay it.

This also came in handy when moving over east (Victoria) for a few years. Never bothered changing from WA rego, just kept on paying the renewals as they came through from WA Dept of Transport.

From what some of you are saying, some states certainly make it hard to have vehicles/campers/trailers registered.

John

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »
Thank goodness I had my vehicles (and camper) are registered in a state (WA), where once initially registered, there are no further annual/semi-annual inspections required.

Plus the option of having registration renewal reminders sent to email or SMS, and the payments made online or via bpay mean that once the vehicle/camper is registered I can be travelling anywhere in the country (ie: not at a WA address) and won't miss a renewal or have the bother of getting an inspection to pay it.

This also came in handy when moving over east (Victoria) for a few years. Never bothered changing from WA rego, just kept on paying the renewals as they came through from WA Dept of Transport.

From what some of you are saying, some states certainly make it hard to have vehicles/campers/trailers registered.

This is exactly what i was doing but the issue was i did not own a house in WA and had permantly relocated to NSW.
Under those conditions i was getting into a grey area legal wise if it all went wrong

When i first moved to WA and still had my house in VIC i was doing the exact same as you and the insurance company did not care the vehicle was garaged in 1 state and rego in another.

John
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »

John

Mate be aware that to do that is illegal. I think I had three months from when I moved to NSW (from Qld) to get them registered. Not sure what the timeframes are like in other states but I would reckon the requirement is there but maybe the timeframes are different

Rod

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
As you said Rod it does get into a grey area

It seems my reasearch uncovered the following

If you change your license to NSW you have 3 months to do the Rego or the vehicle is then technically unregistered

Same as above applies if you leave your Rego in say WA but cannot prove you have a residential address back there that the car is registered in

If you say still own a house in WA move to NSW and still run a WA license and WA plates and still have the garaged address in WA for insurance this the grey area as who is to say you are not there on a working holiday

The whole thing just once again screamed to me that state govt should be abolished and national schemes introduced

I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »

If you change your license to NSW you have 3 months to do the Rego or the vehicle is then technically unregistered

Same as above applies if you leave your Rego in say WA but cannot prove you have a residential address back there that the car is registered in

If you say still own a house in WA move to NSW and still run a WA license and WA plates and still have the garaged address in WA for insurance this the grey area as who is to say you are not there on a working holiday

The whole thing just once again screamed to me that state govt should be abolished and national schemes introduced
I had my bikes rego and insured in Victoria or years as rego and insurance was 1/2 the cost.. was about the only thing the cops never booked me for on a bike...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »
Yeah same with my old car bird when i first moved to WA it stayed rego in VIC for 3 years

I think the biggest issue that gets gray is the insurance that is buried in rego (or greenslip in NSW) for when you injure someone else
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Jacmark30

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 07:47:33 AM »
Hi been ages since I've been on here!
Just finalising a deal on a pop top van from a private seller in NSW and of course need to take it home to QLD. Does the seller in NSW need to supply a current safety certificate and gas certificate to me even though I will need to provide QLD certificate for rego up here?
Jacmark30

2014 Pajero

2011 Outback Swan - For Sale, 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55-5SH

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »
I'd get one for peace of mind. Last thing you would want to do is get home and find it fails or needs re-plumbing, even though teh QLD transport will have no interest in that paperwork because it isn't on their forms.

The other thing is that it is a legal requirement if they are selling it with rego... even though the seller will need to cancel it when you take it interstate.

This is for someone in QLD selling a vehicle interstate, but I think NSW have basically the same arrangement.
Buying a Queensland registered vehicle from interstate

A vehicle must be garaged at a Queensland address to be registered in Queensland. If you live interstate and purchase a vehicle that is registered in Queensland, you cannot register it in your name in Queensland unless you have a Queensland garaging address.

If you can’t transfer the Queensland registration into your name, you may ask the seller to cancel the vehicle’s registration at a transport and motoring customer service centre. You can then apply for an unregistered vehicle permit to transport the vehicle to your home address.
To register the vehicle you will need to contact the transport authority in your state or territory to find out their registration requirements.
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/transfer/interstate/index.html
The following users thanked this post: Jacmark30

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 08:23:54 AM »
Hi been ages since I've been on here!
Just finalising a deal on a pop top van from a private seller in NSW and of course need to take it home to QLD. Does the seller in NSW need to supply a current safety certificate and gas certificate to me even though I will need to provide QLD certificate for rego up here?

No mate they dont
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim
The following users thanked this post: Jacmark30

Offline Jacmark30

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »
Thanks ACHJimmy

Thought that would be the case, just wanted to check.
Wouldn't life be easier if there were the same rules for every state when it comes to registration - especially when we are talking private vehicles, be it cars, trailer or van!

:cheers:

Mark.
Jacmark30

2014 Pajero

2011 Outback Swan - For Sale, 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55-5SH

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 06:05:58 PM »
all these horror stories about rego transfer - not looking forward to transferring any of my trailers back to nsw even though they were registered there first (especially the boat trailer)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 08:49:43 AM »
all these horror stories about rego transfer - not looking forward to transferring any of my trailers back to nsw even though they were registered there first (especially the boat trailer)

If they were origionally registered there they should be on the data base as i had a license in NSW approx 15 years ago and when i  changed my license back over recently i got my old license number back and they also asked me if i still had the prado as both were still on file
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline pinarelloman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »
We are looking at buying a new camper trailer in QLD, but live in NSW.
Do we pay transfer when we get the camper home or do we just need a gas certificate?
Dave.
Landcruiser HDJ100 5spd auto.
Australian Off Road camper 2009 Oddyssey export signature.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 09:40:03 AM »
We are looking at buying a new camper trailer in QLD, but live in NSW.
Do we pay transfer when we get the camper home or do we just need a gas certificate?
Dave.

You will pay stamp duty when you re register the vehicle in NSW i am lead to believe
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline johnhu

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »

That's correct Chester. I still had an address in WA though (house I owned), so as you say - I was on a working holiday.

Definitely agree with you that national licencing (both drivers licence and vehicle licences) would make things so much easier.

John

Offline Munners

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »
Old topic but....as I'm considering a trailer from QLD (I live in NSW)

Wouldn't you need TWO permits for Interstate for unregistered vehicle.  e.g. one for QLD and one for NSW (QLD > NSW).  As the Seller (QLD) would have to cancel any QLD Rego.   How does transfer of ownership occur as proof without rego slip?

Apologies if covered in here somewhere already.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 05:26:12 PM »
Old topic but....as I'm considering a trailer from QLD (I live in NSW)

Wouldn't you need TWO permits for Interstate for unregistered vehicle.  e.g. one for QLD and one for NSW (QLD > NSW).  As the Seller (QLD) would have to cancel any QLD Rego.   How does transfer of ownership occur as proof without rego slip?

Apologies if covered in here somewhere already.

Rego papers are not proof of ownership, even Dpt of Transport don't recognize them as proof.
What you need is a receipt with the vehicle make, model and VIN noted on it. The rego documents will then just be used as supporting documents.

As for the rego; buy it registered, that way the previous owner has to supply a road worthy and gas certificates and stuff. The day you collect it they can then go into Qld Dept of Transport, hand in the plates and get a refund on the rego not used.
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buying/unregistered/uvp/

I would strongly suggest that you get the permit in NSW though, in QLD they are $31/day, in NSW $22 for 28 days, both have CTP on top of that if applicable. The permit issued by either state will cover you for the whole trip, both sides of the Tweed.
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/unregistered.html#UnregisteredVehiclePermit(UVP)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:28:10 PM by Hoyks »