Author Topic: Who Else has gone back to University?  (Read 5229 times)

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
Who Else has gone back to University?
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:24:43 PM »
Hi everyone

Who else here is back at uni or thinking about it or finished going back to uni?

I am just about to hit halfway into doing a MBA with Charles Sturt University via distance, I will reach it when I hand in the last assessment on Monday night :)

Has been ok but long weekends doing assessments and and study are not too flash.
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Who Else has gone back to University?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:18:59 AM »
I went back and did a grad dip 12 years ago, decided I was right the first time I left uni thinking academics were pratts with no idea and swore I would never do it again.  Did it again 3 years ago to do a switch program to get my secondary D&T teaching certification, another load of shyte. Definitely won't be doing it again now.

All that said, I am not sorry I did it as I love my job and where I am but the universities are getting worse by the year, focus is on dollars and research rather than providing quality courses with real world application.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline J.R

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 03:58:56 AM »
Uni is on my "If we win the lottery list".

In my 40's, I have a much better understanding of a good education.

When I was at high school, all I cared about was girls and my BMX.

I would love to go back and study some form of mechnical engineering and human behaviour.

I have always wanted to know why the general population is full of A-holes and C-bombs, and why people have to think they have to be one.

Engineering, I'd love to build a Baja Stadium racing truck. I've always been interested in design and building.

Offline SimonM

• Swag User
    • Tier Gear
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 06:44:48 AM »
I went back to finish off my degree, and do some postgraduate study. I was a much better student the second time around, probably because I was sober a lot more often.

scrapsD40

Who Else has gone back to University?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 07:14:31 AM »
I went back as a mature age student into the mba program around 15 year ago. Found the further I got into it the easier it became particularly understanding much of the theory, topics and with essays and assessments.  Found it kicked my brain up a gear or two.
Would/may do it again in the next few years, but in a completely different stream.

This looks interesting
https://www.kangan.edu.au/tafe-courses/certificate-iii-in-automotive-electrical-technology-2338
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 02:24:11 PM by scrapsD40 »

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
I'm 4/7 of my way through a dual MBA and MPM via distance ed with USQ.  I'm only doing 1 module a semester because it's too much work otherwise with a young family and a corporate job. Since I've started we've had 2 more kids so that was a couple of semesters off.
I started with the modules closest to my day job so it's been great applying that to my role - and the assessments usually require me to use work examples,  but I'm now ploughing through the final subjects which I don't find that interesting tbh and it's hard work getting home and hitting the books. I've got my first exam since 1996 on Weds and I'm a little nervous as well. (Accounting and Financial Management). But after 5 years(!) I'm a little over it.

I really don't get exams anymore, it's just not how we operate in our day to day lives. Don't know something? Google / research then apply the knowledge.

I'm definitely thinking differently to my undergrad days though and having 20 years work experience makes the theory much easer to understand when you can apply it to that experience. I did  some AFM and marketing modules at undergrad and I understand it much better than I did then even though the concepts are the same. 
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 08:02:28 AM »
Finishing off a 100% contact hours diploma at present. It was 28 days of weekends over the last 9 months. Costs more but I hand in my module assessment each Sunday. No homework or assignments. I have tried this course via distance a couple of times and it didn't work out. I'm happy I'm finally knocking it over.

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
Certainly agree with what you have all said, I have been doing 2 modules a semester and it has been tough.  It has meant 2 nights a week with a class to go to along with work. Luckily I have only missed one class in 2 years due to work. Has been done in stages with Grad Cert in Management (4 subjects) last year and Grad Dip (another 4 subjects) this year . Decision time next year whether I go for the MBA or Masters of Management. Always thought they were the same. ???

Replying to this post as I prepare to wrap up an assessment on "Operations Management Drivers in recent times".   ;)
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 09:50:25 AM »
had the opportunity to do a 2-yr bachelor of technology when I worked at UTS, passed it up as I couldn't afford to survive on student wages (my wages were low enough as it was) but wish I'd toughed it out now - coming up to 55 I don't think I could go back to formal study as much as I may need to so i'll see you all in woollies when I'm packing shelves (there's no i.t. work where I'm going!)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »
I finished an Advanced Diploma in electrical engineering, back in 2000. Turned out to be not much use apart from refreshing my technical knowledge. In hindsight, I should have done a degree instead.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 10:23:55 AM »
Bit over half way through my civil engineering degree, a couple of years ago I decided after about 16yrs doing my trade it was time for a new challenge, I am full time but also run my own small  business which is the sole bread winner for our family with 4 young kids so my life is overly full. Juggling family time, uni time, and keeping my offsider and clients happy as well a having the head space to manage it all can be hard and I tend to operate on about 5-6hrs sleep a night but it is doable. Similarly to the "What is your realistic dream job?" thread I had a similar thought a while back and then decided that if I wanted to achieve it I could. There are times we have to go without as there simply isn't the dollars that there would be if I could work more but I view it as short term pain for long term gain as I will still have 30ish working years ahead of me when I'm finished.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
I completed my MBA when I was 30, was working 60+ hours a week and had 2 kids under 4! Was hard to juggle everything. TBH I have got more out of experience in the workplace than an MBA

Starsky
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
I completed my MBA when I was 35 and living in the UK. Was working for 14 years before I started it and had some real world experience. Any further education is worth doing if it interests you and stretches your mind. Now 20 years after completion, it has helped by adding theory and alternatives to what I'm working with. Currently, after almost 40 years in the workforce, courses are shorter and more targeted to issues at hand.
TC
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:01:44 PM by topcat »
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
I did my first degree (BA(Hons) in Economics) in 1998-2001, and then went off to work in outdoor education and youth work for the next 10 years or so (which also involved study - a Post Grad Certificate in Youth and Community Work). Left that in 2010, and went travelling for 2 years (still ended up working in outdoor education though...)

Came back to study in 2013 for a Masters of Economic Studies with a major in Agricultural and Resource Economics... problem was that study got infectious and I ended up doing another Masters in Economics with a research dissertation...

Big difference in terms of my attitude, and also my understanding - some units made perfect sense having worked in that sphere, others made sense because I could see how it was relevant. I also added a different perspective being a bit older and an International student.

I'd recommend it, especially if it's something you're interested in.

Offline rossbarb

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 07:58:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I had always wanted to be a teacher, so as a mother of 3 kids wife to a husband that lived at work, I completed a teaching degree externally 11 years ago, it took me 9 years to complete. I love my job and am now a Deputy Principal of a Christian school on the Northern Rivers of NSW. So pleased i did as my hubby lost his job due to a work injury, to bad to be employed but not bad enough to get a pay out. So I have supported us over the past 4 years since he has lost his job. It was great for my self esteem and I just love making a difference to children's lives
barb

Offline kauld75

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
I've got exams tomorrow as I work towards my first degree in Adult Ed with CSU. In my 40s and working full time with a job that usually has me doing 60hr weeks makes it challenging.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cheers
Kev

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 10:32:16 PM »
The big difference I found between my undergrad course (MBBS) and my two Masters degrees was that my post grad courses were my choice of subjects so were much more interesting and relevant to what I was doing career wise.    That meant I just scraped pass grades for the MBBS and got HD's for the Masters.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:39:59 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 10:20:58 PM »
yep went back at 27 as a mature age, married with 2 kids, did secondary school PE teaching with IT as a back-up. Course was great, getting through 4.5 years as a fulltime student and working whenever and wherever and still seeing the food cupboard bare a few times wasn't great with little kids but geez, do I appreciate everything I have now! I got sick of dead-end jobs and always regretted stuffing up at high school - now I'm trying to stop my school kids doing the same!
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline Stewart

• Tent User
    • Camping with a Cocktail
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 06:48:57 AM »
I have been back to uni three times since my first diploma of teaching. I have enjoyed studying things I am interested in.  Each time I went back I was working full time as well. As a teacher, only the first trip back to uni got me a pay rise, the last one saw me out of the classroom working with teachers instead of children. Now with two Masters Degrees and a well knitted out camper I have decided there are better things to do on weekends and school holidays than writing 20 page assignments.
Prado 150 and Cub Supamatic Escape
https://www.campingwithacocktail.com/

Offline Memem284

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »
I went to uni aged 42 as a divorced mother of 2. I studied fulltime, worked 3 jobs and drove my girls and their horses around for comps & Pony Club etc. A really hard 3 years but I did it and have been nursing for 6 years - best thing I ever did!
I am about to do external study through UTAS and do a grad cert on Critical Care. (Currentl on a 14 week trip to SA, NT, And WA)

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
I reckon one degree at Uni is more than enough in your lifetime ! Finished a Bachelor of Science back in the early eighties and couldn't think of anything worse than going back. Far too busy studying camp spots, fishing locations,tides and weather these days  ;D
Mazda BT50, Trakmaster Sturt X-- Country, Stacer 369 Seasprite

Offline Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 09:16:48 PM »
I'd love to go back and do my Masters of Teaching, but haven't been brave enough to take the plunge yet.

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 06:58:13 AM »
Well that semester is wrapped up and I have enrolled to do Leadership and Project management in the next semester.
That will give me a Graduate Diploma in Management (Professional Practice) and add to the Grad Certificate done last year. A decision on what to do and when after this year will depend on how the workload in the job is.
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser