Author Topic: Cub forward fold  (Read 6369 times)

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
Cub forward fold
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
It's brand new. See link.

http://cubcampers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ForwardFold.pdf

Tell me the good and bad of this design/manufacturer.

I like it and with a bit of re-arranging would fit the family perfectly.

Thoughts?
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Cub forward fold
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:01:31 PM »
When we were looking we went to CUB. Asked about forward fold campers. Salesman said why change what we do so good. Stuck in the past not looking forward, haha. Might be interesting following.

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
I'd like to see the TBW when it's loaded for a trip away - looks like it's going to be very heavy on the ball.
TC
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
I can't comment on the design, however there are plenty of happy CUB owners out there. They have been doing what they do for quite a while, and the 2001 cub we have is well built. I would happily up grade to a new (or newer) cub if the minister for finance would approve it.

Offline justink

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:50:07 PM »
Saw it at the camping show. We have a 2008 Spacevan and have had no problems. I liked the look of the forward fold, the rear was set up with seating and table, not sure how it can be changed up for a family..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
not sure how it can be changed up for a family..

looking at that floor plan it appears as though the lounge area /dining table becomes a double bed, so maybe a shared bed for kids? not ideal for my liking, but others might think that's ok maybe.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 10:57:58 PM »
When we were looking we went to CUB. Asked about forward fold campers. Salesman said why change what we do so good. Stuck in the past not looking forward, haha.

Couple of years back, got much the same answer when I questioned a rep about their stupid idea of the velcro attachment for their annex ridge poles   ::)  but worse thing I ever did was giving into the minister, and getting rid of our CUB   :'(
Bob and Robyn

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 11:40:15 PM »
Not sold on FF's personally. Heavy on the Towball. Long distance between Towball and axle - only an issue of you go off road much though.

To me it's a caravan layout, so why not get a caravan or a poptop?
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 04:11:15 AM »
Not sold on FF's personally. Heavy on the Towball. Long distance between Towball and axle - only an issue of you go off road much though.

We have a forward fold...and according to the hayman reece ball weight scale ....our's weighs  ( loaded )...200 kg on the ball.....That might give an idea of what it might weigh

Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline envee

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired !! grey nomading.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 04:37:24 AM »
I've liked the footprint of the forward folds ever since I first saw the Modcon ones some years ago. I just think it is good usage of space. My only concern from looking at various ones at the last Perth camping show is internal storage for clothes. It appears to be under the seats which could get annoying having to lift the seats up all the time. Other than that I think they are a good design and the demand must be there if Cub are starting to make them.
'14 Disco SE  '15 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

https://destinationpotatopoint.blogspot.com/

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:23 AM »
I have seen a couple (can't remember models though) that actually have a little rear fold out section behind the lounge area. I thought that this would be an ideal place to store bags and clothes etc that are out of the way but easy access.

Rod

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 07:42:37 AM »

for a family like ours, price is a huge consideration, as well as flexible layout...

most, if not all, of the caravan/poptop units have double beds, but not single beds for the kids...  for some, this is not workable...

the modcon quattro, for example, has the two single beds in a forward fold style.  perfect for us and hopefully will be our next camper...

plenty of storage under the single beds, as well...

and as has been previously mentioned, the smaller foot print of the forward fold is attractive for those that do a lot of camping away at big4's, etc...

good on cub for putting their toe in the water of respected forward-fold manufacturers...  :cup:

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:12:07 AM »
at least its not another alibaba make,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :angel:
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 08:21:45 AM »
I do understand the appeal of the footprint. It's what drew me to rear fold campers. Mine is actually pretty much similar in size when it unfolded to this Cub in its travel config. But it's 2m shorter when towing. It does mimic caravan footprints once it's set up with awnings etc so I'm never worried about caravan parks.

But that's a 3m drawbar, which is way too long for what we need it to do.

Though having just heard about the croc biting that guy in his tent I can see the appeal of being off the ground. :)
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 11:07:56 PM »
yep, towball DW is 130kg in the brochure.   Then you load up the front boxes.   Wonder if you could get them to shorten the drawbar and take one of the sections of storage box off the front (or reduce the size of it)?
Internally it looks big enough to remove the furniture and put two camp bunk units in it instead.   Fold them down for travel.
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.