Author Topic: n00bs gonna n00b  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Santo

• Learning the Ropes
  • Fueled up, ready to go
n00bs gonna n00b
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
Greetings.

Thought I would pop in and say hi. Name is Bill, just got back from a long weekend camping in a borrowed Coromal on the South coast of WA and the family has decided that we want, nay need, more time in the great outdoors. So the decision has been made to purchase a CT - shortlisted down to a FF or wind-up (my preference is for the FF, the better half is still undecided).

We live in Albany, so there is plenty of scope to ease ourselves in to it all locally, with the grand plan to go further out each time. Will be putting in an appearance at the local caravan/camping expo on this weekend. Any Myswag reps popping down with their wares? I shall happily chew your ears off.

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: n00bs gonna n00b
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:10:08 PM »
Welcome to Myswag Bill and good luck with your camper search, there's plenty of great info on here  :cup:

Cheers
John K
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »
Welcome and good luck with your search :cheers:
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:14:05 PM »
G'day Bill and welcome to myswag.  Have fun searching for a new CT

Happy camping
KB

Offline Santo

• Learning the Ropes
  • Fueled up, ready to go
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 09:34:55 PM »
Well that's changed the game. Went to the local camp expo, and thought I had narrowed down to the camper I wanted. Took the missus back today and she's pulled the sensible card (extra room for kids, storage, etc) and suggested a good off road soft floor walk thru is a better option. Eyeballed off a Johnno's and a Follow Me, both spec'd up to the eyeballs. Both had bits we liked and bits we didn't. The Johnno was built like a tank, but lacked a few innovative storage bits from the FMC. As the missus has a shot back, she's keen to minimise any lifting she has to do.

Now here's where it gets interesting; her cousin is a local fabricator, and actually builds his own trailers with a local canvasser supplying the tent. So we're more than likely going to custom a walk thru design he has on the books. We can be sure of the quality, and can pick and choose what we want and were to put it. Happy days.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »
Sounds like a sensible compromise. Have you thought about hiring a couple of other campers, different than the one you borrowed, to see what works and what doesn't. Might save some heartache and get some other ideas as well.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Santo

• Learning the Ropes
  • Fueled up, ready to go
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
Have you thought about hiring a couple of other campers, different than the one you borrowed, to see what works and what doesn't. Might save some heartache and get some other ideas as well.

It is something we've considered. Next opportunity to get out will be around the Christmas holidays when I break from uni and the kids are done with school for the year.

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
Welcome Bill good luck with the CT shopping. 
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback