Author Topic: Being converted in Melbourne  (Read 6848 times)

Offline richo9923

• Swag User
Being converted in Melbourne
« on: August 13, 2015, 04:18:45 PM »
Hi all

Just to say hi and introduce myself, Im a mid 30's POM (don't hold that against me and sorry about the cricket) thats lived in Aus for 12 years, always been an outdoors person and love getting away camping and discovering this GREAT country and all it offers.

At the moment my set up is of a Holden SV6 SII ute with a OZTent 30 second tent and usual camping gear and a Kwaka KLR 650 for getting off road, although I will admit that my ute has been places it shouldn't have made it and as such has been to the panel beaters on 3 occasions which I may have had to change the story of how it happened to the insurance company.

So long story short, a year or so back i was in an incident that left me with two crushed disks in my neck and nerve damage down my right side and as such camping on a blow up mattress just isn't doing it for me anymore and the motorbike hasn't been ridden for a while, so now the hunt begins for a new set up.

So the decisions start, Ranger, Hilux, Colarado, Triton? ( I don't really like the interior of the BT50 or Navara and the Amorok just doesn't do it for me), then its a case of camper, I like the idea of a hard floor and so does the Minister of War and Finance... so forward or rear fold? if so what brand and spec? do I buy basic and mod it myself or splash out and get one that just done from the get go? but then I did something stupid and looked on the stupid internet and found camper sliders..or tray tops what ever you call them, and have to say I really do like the idea of a a Trayon (or similar) so that i still have the tow ball if I want to get a boat later on.

So really I'm hoping that by spending all my free time in the next two months (thats when i can get rid of my ute as its a work lease) reading here I can get some useful opinions on what people like and dislike about their different setups, and I'd really like to hear from anyone that has a slider and see what they think.

Anyway time to start trawling for info.

Regards

Richo

KingBilly

Re: Being converted in Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »
G'day mate and welcome to myswag.

I own an Isuzu Dmax and reckon it is great. Have a look at them when searching for a ute.

A forward fold is not as reliant on level ground as much as a rear fold is.  Both are fairly easy to set up.

With the Trayon, or any slide on camper on the back of any dual cab ute, just be very aware of the weight behind the axle and the effect this heavy overhang will have on the chassis.  Won't be much of an issue on the black top but may be trouble in the rough.

Good luck and happy camping
KB

Offline b1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
Welcome richo9923. You'll read plenty on hears about whats 'best' ;D ;D ;D And for those folks their set up is best for them.

Go to shows, you'll start to develop an idea of what you like. A few companies hire campers so you can try them out. I think Ultimate on NSW south coast will take one to a local caravan park, set up and take it away when you leave.

Will you stay on the tar and in van parks or seek out more remote locations ?? We had a Cameron soft floor CT for 10 years, a Jayco Pengion for 2, and have ordered a Lifestyle AT-11. What was the perfect camper for us 15 , 10 or 5 years ago has changed. Will you be happy to change the Tray-on camper in a few years if it doesn't suit ? I have heard good reports on the Travellander too, but have never owned either

http://www.travelander.com.au/

Whatever you decide, nothing is perfect, just remember to post lots of pics of your set up and places you visit. :cheers:

Cheers,
b1
The first 50 years of my childhood have been the hardest

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
welcome and really sorry to hear about yr back problems - my 'minister' had a disc taken out many years ago and while she does what we can I find myself doing most of the opening/closing/folding so you do need to consider if a camper is for you - of course there are plenty with winch mechanisms for folding out and back but that can get hard on a weak back too, and then consider what sort of annex you will be looking at as well. you may be better off skipping campers and going to a pop-up, friends we spend summer with did and haven't looked back and tow it behind a little jeep liberty that gets them everywhere our pajero does, and all the landcruisers as well. come to think of it a few of the camper friends we spend summer with are considering trading theirs for modest pop-ups and frankly as much as we love our humble soft-floor when it comes to packing down pop-ups are much easier especially in the wet weather

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 11:44:57 PM »
Welcome Richo you are sure to get heaps of good advise here Gov.
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 12:52:45 AM »
Went from Sv6 Sportwagon to FJ Cruiser, best move ever. The utes are all to "tinny" for my liking
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
Speaking from my Uncles experience:  he's based in South Africa but it's still valid. He bought a ford ranger dual cab and had a tray on camper built. It's a pop top style. He kept the tub on the back and had one that just slots on leaving the tailgate down. I tried to convince him to swap it for a flat alloy tray like you get here but he'd made up his own mind. He's had heaps of problems with weight and has had to swap out the springs for HD ones. Which means it rides like a pig when unladen.

So unless you need a dual cab I'd go for a single cab and the lightest you can.

I and a sticky beak at some at the last caravan and camping show in Sydney

Carry me campers come in at around 400kg and most of  the weight is forward of the rear axle. But it's a canvas top that you'll have to pull over so not sure how you'd go with your back? They're also quite basic.

Like buying a caravan I'd find a camper style that you like then choose a ute that can carry it. If I was looking at a newish ute I'd be looking at land cruiser. I'm a big fan of the land cruiser Utes (yes I know they're not perfect and way too expensive). Otherwise the Dmax quite catches my eye.  I've heard a few stories of rangers blowing rear diffs recently which then rules out the BT50 for me.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline richo9923

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
Hi All and thanx for the replies.

First up I might be better to explain a bit more about my situation, my neck/back/arm issue is not a major factor as long as I'm not required to be lifting heavy items for long periods or repetitively, also as mentioned I'm looking for something with a decent mattress as multiple nights on a crappy mattress results in just being too sore for too long to make it worth while.

Last night I was having good two way discussion with the MFWAF and we "agreed" that a slider was not for us, so CT it, it was also "agreed" that a Forward Fold would be best as we both like the idea of a ready to go internal lounge as well as a decent bed and being off the ground.

As for a ute, its just myself and the MFWAF and fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) that can't change.... so although we don't need a set of rear seats it would be good to have them for storage of items, so I'm looking at king/space/extenda cab as well as duel, at the moment the Holden Colorado LTZ is winning for me, the land cruiser is just too expensive by the time I've done what I want and really don't want that size engine, how ever due to not needing a tray as such I am also looking at Defenders....however I know that a few of the utes are due for makeovers in the near future so I'm waiting to see what they bring.

My main question is this, is there a Forward Fold out there that comes ready to go, I know a lot of them are imports and some of them have components that people are having to replace/upgrade, I really don't want to be changing suspension or fixing up electrical issues, I don't mind paying for quality and this is going to be a very long term investment so I have approval to spend what is needed without going stupid.

It also needs to be very competent at going off road as in when my better half qualifies for long service (about 3 years away) we will be taking 6 months off and getting lost in this great country,

Regards

Richo

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 04:29:14 PM »
You havent mentioned budget, so I'm assuming you are open to ideas.

All of the imports will need some sort of rework to get them up to spec if you are fussy, and if you buy one, make sure you check the wheel bearings, as more than one person has posted here that they were not greased. This would probably get you 3 or 400km before a wheel sailed by your drivers door window at high speeds.

The Echo Kavango and Conquerer are good quality rigs that won't need any rework. But if you are in that sort of $$ territory also look at Ultimate, Vista and what we got - the LCT Reconn.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »
My issue with the FF campers is the length of the drawbar on some of them. It affects your rampover if you really are going 'off road' and not just a national park access road. And they seem to put a lot of weight forward of the axle. Personally, I'd go a rear hard floor before a FF. it's not that much effort to put up a table and some chairs :)

If you want a lounge you'd be better off with a smaller pop top like a jayco or a hyper camper IMO. 
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »
sounds like yr really doing yr research - while not taking anything away from the Colorado give the Isuzu some consideration - there have been a lot of comparisons on here and from what I have seen the d-max seems to be in front even if its the same drive train

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
.......even if its the same drive train

It's not.....they don't use the same engine.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

KingBilly

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »
My main question is this, is there a Forward Fold out there that comes ready to go, I know a lot of them are imports and some of them have components that people are having to replace/upgrade, I really don't want to be changing suspension or fixing up electrical issues, I don't mind paying for quality and this is going to be a very long term investment so I have approval to spend what is needed without going stupid.

Yes, Modcon

http://modcon.com.au

KB

KingBilly

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:25 AM »
the d-max seems to be in front even if its the same drive train

And therein, lies the difference.

Colorado - Fiat/Jeep 2.8l diesel with GM auto box
Isuzu - Isuzu 3l diesel with Aisin auto box

Chalk and cheese  :D

KB
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »
And therein, lies the difference.

Colorado - Fiat/Jeep 2.8l diesel with GM auto box
Isuzu - Isuzu 3l diesel with Aisin auto box

Chalk and cheese  :D

KB

There's the good oil ^.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 05:59:51 PM »

Colorado - Fiat/Jeep 2.8l diesel 

are they KIDDING???

oh well, the pajero NJ diesel was only a 2.6 I guess..

I just wish I could win the MU-X vs Prado debate in this house - the Prado might be 'nicer' but I'd rather the MU-X
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:01:57 PM by slydar »