Author Topic: Are there over the counter drugs that register in roadside drug tests?  (Read 6700 times)

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
Not often am I considered serious, but this is a serious question today folks!

Having travelled to Queensland and bringing a man flu back I had to go to the chemist to get some flu tablets and some throat lollies. The tablets I got have pseudoephedrine in then and as a result the chemist needed my drivers license to register the purchase. But, when I asked the chemist if the pseudoephedrine in the tablets would register a positive reading in a roadside swab test she didn't know. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any of the  :police: swaggers know if you get a positive result because of the flu tablets? Are there any experts (real ones not the backyard ones - you know who I mean!!) who can offer up some insight.

:cheers:

Lino
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
i am no expert, but these links may help:

http://dpti.sa.gov.au/towardszerotogether/Safer_behaviours/Drug_driving2/drug_driving_faqs

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/drink-driving/drugs/

the SA link states that (emphasis mine):

Can random roadside saliva tests detect the presence of prescription drugs or other medication?

No. The saliva test only detects the presence of THC (cannabis), Methylamphetamine (speed) and MDMA (ecstasy). It does not detect the presence of prescription drugs or common over the counter medications, such as cold and flu tablets, sinus medication (e.g. Sudafed), asthma or ADHD medication.

However, drivers impaired by other drugs (either prescription or illicit) will continue to be prosecuted under section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 for the existing offence of driving under the influence of an intoxicating liquor or drug – commonly referred to as ‘DUI’.

This offence carries severe penalties and drivers may be fined up to $1,200 for a first offence, in addition to a period of licence disqualification, demerit points or even imprisonment in some cases (refer to question 9 for further information).

If you are unsure about the side effects of your medication or any impact it may have on your driving ability, please consult your doctor.

hope this helps... :)

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
As Paceman posted it checks for the following
  • THC (Cannabis)
  • Methylamphetamine (speed/extacy/Ice)
  • MDMA (basically the same as above)
All of which are illegal in any form. Any positive result is an offence, unlike alcohol 0.05.

There is the additional offence in Victoria of DUI and another of Driving whislt impaired DWI. These can be ANY drug. To oversimplify it for DUI/DWI you have to be spaced out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:23:08 AM by #jonesy »
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

scarpsD40

Are there over the counter drugs that register in roadside drug tests?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »
Lino, I can't answer the question re the roadside drug test, (a Policeman may be better positioned to do this), but I can definitively advise you and any swagger interested that the reason the chemist asks for your drivers licence with pseudo products is to make sure you're not a too regular purchaser who could be potentially turning the base product into speed or methamphetamine party drugs.  Police can come into the Pharmacy and request to see the records of regular purchasers, or a Pharmacist may report regular purchasers to the Police under agreed circumstances. Usually asking for ID stops the regular purchasers anyway.
It's not a law persay, but a protocol agreed to between the national Chemists body and Police in each state designed to stop the mass production of party drugs in this case.
There have been several Pharmacists around Australia lose their practice licence for not abiding by the agreed rules and or selling these products in bulk quantities in an effort to make $$'s the wrong way.
99.9% of Chemists are very community health focussed, but as with any profession there's always 0.1% misguided fools. These protocols are designed to stop them.
There was also an incident several years ago whereby a pharmacy wholesale warehouse employee happened to lose a pallet of pseudo product, was caught and sent away for a spell.
It is so tightly monitored these days that fools looking to make a quid in this area will get caught.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:21:21 PM by scarpsD40 »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
It is so tightly monitored these days that fools looking to make a quid in this area will get caught.

So where's your secret stash? ;D
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
Due to having had a few back op's and still experience extreme pain from time to time I take oxycontin as a pain relief and morphine in extreme cases. Both drugs are not detected via police road side drug tested. I simple call to the local police station helped to confirm.   
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
Cheers guys.

I agree with the asking for ID and have no problems. Thanks for the info scarps.

There is the additional offence in Victoria of DUI and another of Driving whislt impaired DWI. These can be ANY drug. To oversimplify it for DUI/DWI you have to be spaced out.

Just as a matter of interest are there tests or assessments done roadside to test for this? Is there something that  :police: can do to identify DUI/DWI? Like give them a gameboy and have to get past level 1?

And if you are taking medication that has a warning to not operate heavy machinery but doesn't actually impair you then you can still drive despite the warning?
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User

And if you are taking medication that has a warning to not operate heavy machinery but doesn't actually impair you then you can still drive despite the warning?

I think the problem with this is that you might be impaired, but not know it...

Only takes a second or two of impaired judgment to make a difference in some cases.

Following the doctor/chemist advice regarding driving, depending on the drug in question, wouldn't be a bad option...

scarpsD40

Are there over the counter drugs that register in roadside drug tests?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
So where's your secret stash? ;D
no secret, strategically located in over 500 Pharmacies across this great nation of ours;D
All I have to do is show my licence......

Interestingly, every time I ring fuji to ask a question, his immediate response is "what did you do?". Like he knows me!
My reply is usually " nothing, yet";D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:20:30 PM by scarpsD40 »

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
be guided by the labelling on the package - 'do not drive if impaired (by the product)', unfortunately its up to you to be smart enough to know if you are affected by any medicine - if you are in an accident you can be asked if you are taking any prescription medicine and if you answer yes it goes on yr statement and a determined enough prosecuter will  go to town with it

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
I think the problem with this is that you might be impaired, but not know it...

...and who is that ^ directed at?.... ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
...and who is that ^ directed at?.... ;D

No one in particular... But if the shoe fits...  >:D

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
No one in particular... But if the shoe fits...  >:D

;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

scarpsD40

Cheers guys.

I agree with the asking for ID and have no problems. Thanks for the info scarps.

Just as a matter of interest are there tests or assessments done roadside to test for this? Is there something that  :police: can do to identify DUI/DWI? Like give them a gameboy and have to get past level 1?

maybe be careful eating poppy seed rolls for lunch. That could get you into trouble if coupled with Ham, Cheese and Tomato!

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User

For DWI starts roadside. Thinks like staggering, slurring, can't follow basic directions etc and you realise somsthings not right. They then get assessed by a series of tests (usually at the station) followed by a blood test.

You can drive if you aren't affected by the medication, as you are not impaired / under the influence.
Disclaimer - I'm trying to be very basic and general, as each case is different.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:44:47 PM by #jonesy »
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: lino6

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
Cheers guys.

maybe be careful eating poppy seed rolls for lunch. That could get you into trouble if coupled with Ham, Cheese and Tomato!

Are you supposed to smoke the rolls?? Wouldn't the cheese go everywhere? Tomato is bad for you anyway!

scarpsD40

Cheers guys.

Are you supposed to roll the smokes?? Wouldn't the cheese go everywhere? Tomato is bad for you anyway!
fixed it

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
Just to reiterate what Jonesey said.   Drugs like Oxycontin may not be detected and their presence may not an offence per se but if they affect your ability to drive then the offence is being influenced/impaired by them (DUI) and having a doctor's prescription is no excuse. (Dr Patrol; MForensMed)
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
For DWI starts roadside. Thinks like staggering, slurring, can't follow basic directions etc and you realise somsthings not right. They then get assessed by a series of tests (usually at the station) followed by a blood test.

You can drive if you aren't affected by the medication, as you are not impaired / under the influence.
Disclaimer - I'm trying to be very basic and general, as each case is different.
Sounds like Scott Morrison on a good day

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia

Stay off the poppy seeds

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
Just to reiterate what Jonesey said.   Drugs like Oxycontin may not be detected and their presence may not an offence per se but if they affect your ability to drive then the offence is being influenced/impaired by them (DUI) and having a doctor's prescription is no excuse. (Dr Patrol; MForensMed)

Just to clarify a few things as I take Oxycontin and Morphine from time to time.

I dont drive whilst on these medications. The affects of these drugs can last upto 12 hours depending on dose, however these drugs can still be detected in the blood stream, urine and I also gather in the saliva up to 6 weeks after the last dose which during this time I do drive, hence why I contacted the police when roadside drug testing came on board.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:48:41 AM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.