Author Topic: The future of car ownership  (Read 25511 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
The future of car ownership
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
Some big changes to driving and car ownership are rapidly emerging with driverless car technology-
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/world/brekkie-wrap-googles-driverless-car-ready-for-road/story-fni6um3i-1227357098356
and I'd suggest it will bring revolutionary changes in much the same way as digital communications has. Not many of us drive to the post office to pay some bills, let alone visit a bank very often and buying stuff OS was strictly for holidays.

The spread of driverless car technology will no doubt occur exponentially, assuming our comprehensive and third party insurers begin to notice a dramatic fall in risk/return for those adopting the technology. To the extent that occurs and Govt also notices the decreasing health bill, premium disparity and probably car registration fees/penalty will no doubt become a strong financial incentive for the slowpokes. You could add life insurance and accident and sickness insurance premiums here too, although how will Govts handle the lack of traffic fine revenue, not least for drink diving? Will it be OK to get pissed in the car while Robbie the Robot does its thing, no car speeds anymore, tailgates or crashes, etc? Lots more free time for plod to catch real villains or dramatically reduced need for our numbers of police?

Think about public transport, taxis, driving to work in peak hour and parking problems when you get there? Get a glimpse of the future here with Uber. The car drives you to the door at work in the CBD and then it drives away to park in the outer suburbs or parking areas, or perhaps you told it to hit the car wash on the way or drive to the Dealers for its service. What if when you don't need the car, anyone who doesn't really need a car full time (pensioners?) can call it up nearby with some Uber type app and get it to drive them where they want to go and simply pay a mileage fee, all the time you a budding new taxi owner and entrepreneur can track where it is at any time on your smartphone. How many less cars and reg and ins will that mean for us all and what are the ramifications for the taxi, hire car, Uber industry now?

We are about to live in some radically different and interesting times. Just as revolutionary as when Henry Ford began to liberate the ordinary man.

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: The future of car ownership
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
I hope the cars of tomorrow look better than that boring bubble! I doubt they could handle the tele track towing the camper  ;D
 :cheers: avo
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
I hope the cars of tomorrow look better than that boring bubble!

Won't driverless car choice be wonderful? avotrol wants to call up a luxury Euro car or Prado and pay the higher mileage price rather than a cheapy mileage Kia bubble  8)
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »
I am out in Mountain View in Silicon valley which is where Google is based and their large fleet of Hybrid Lexus SUVs are an extremely common sight.  In the last hour I have seen five or six of them driving past. With their huge laser see sensor on the roof and miles of cabling they are not consumer ready yet but with the tens of thousands of accident free miles they have now done it won't be long.
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 01:59:36 PM »
Won't driverless car choice be wonderful? avotrol wants to call up a luxury Euro car or Prado and pay the higher mileage price rather than a cheapy mileage Kia bubble  8)

Ummmm, what  ???

Firstly, I don't own a luxury Euro car or Prado (whats wrong with a Prado anyway?). Though they might be cheap, I just don't like current little bubble cars as there is no room for people who are 6 foot and they offer very little protection in a smash. At least the auto piloted bubble cars will be able to drive properly and hopefully stay in their lane, unlike 90% of the current bubble car drivers, they are the worst!! I just don't understand why such small cars can not be kept in their own lane and why they so often want to try and share mine when I'm driving a 15 ton truck in it  >:(!!

:cheers: avo
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
**** driverless cars.. I quite enjoy driving.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Big Damo

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »
I remember reading an article last year, that came out of a worldwide think tank, that predicted that within 15 years, the 'Google car' will be operating, and operating whereby people will be able to 'order' a car, the car will come and pick them up, will then take them from point A to B, and then move onto its next job. In essence a driverless Taxi ordered online. Removing the need for cars for 'normal' commute.

MarkVS

2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »
If you don't drive it then I wonder if you can just sit in the seat and drink beer?

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »
Does this mean I can send my Lux up ahead on the track and it can come back and tell me what the conditions are like. ;D

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
If you don't drive it then I wonder if you can just sit in the seat and drink beer?

Swannie, you always ask the compelling questions :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
I remember reading an article last year, that came out of a worldwide think tank, that predicted that within 15 years, the 'Google car' will be operating, and operating whereby people will be able to 'order' a car, the car will come and pick them up, will then take them from point A to B, and then move onto its next job. In essence a driverless Taxi ordered online. Removing the need for cars for 'normal' commute.

MarkVS
This is australia remember, good luck getting that past the taxi drivers union.
Uber just about ended the world as we know it as far as they were concerned
And I'd rather drive myself like most people given the choice

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »
The real fun will be stink driving where currently in qld you dan be charged with drink driving while sleeping it off if you have the keys with you. As you are in control of the vehicle. ( am not aware of anyone who has ?but as the law stands this is the case).  I don't take the chance and put the keys behind the tyre when sleeping it off.      What happens when tags system crashes mid drive and you have an accident who is responsible you or the programmer or car manufacturer.  Imagine hacking int the cars and setting the speed limit to 10 k an hour on the freeway. 
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Dueller

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
Skynet is closer to reality by the day......
My Customline Off Road Tracker Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=38826.0

LC76 Series build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=42595.msg709322#msg709322

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »
The real fun will be stink driving where currently in qld you dan be charged with drink driving while sleeping it off if you have the keys with you. As you are in control of the vehicle. ( am not aware of anyone who has ?but as the law stands this is the case).  I don't take the chance and put the keys behind the tyre when sleeping it off.      What happens when tags system crashes mid drive and you have an accident who is responsible you or the programmer or car manufacturer.  Imagine hacking int the cars and setting the speed limit to 10 k an hour on the freeway.
I realy think it's pretty shameful of councils to fine the pants off you for staying parked for 2 mins more than the fee paid but yet they won't support a parking area free or otherwise where people can sleep it off outside of business hours. They tell you to pull over and rest if your microsleeping but what happens if your driving through surf coast shire or similar where it's on spot fines to sleep in cars... do you drive 100s of ks to sleep legaly.
I think the legal ramifications for self drive cars will be a far bigger obstacle than any technology will be based on a bunch of reasons
The following users thanked this post: gregw56

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »
I think the legal ramifications for self drive cars will be a far bigger obstacle than any technology will be based on a bunch of reasons

Hmm, something tells me when the tech is ready the billion dollar companies will have a word in the ear of whichever polly will listen. Don't suspect they will have to wait long for the laws to 'catch up'. Got to keep those tax dodging paying companies happy.

Offline Elky

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »
We won't be seeing this tech for a longtime yet, yes they are advancing rapidly but government legislation and the road rules will need to be carefully implemented, and with the rapid changes as the tech progresses means the rule makers will struggle to keep up!

2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 07:20:28 PM »
Not to mention they will be uninsureable as none will want to accept liability

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »
Skynet is closer to reality by the day......
it really is heading fo one of them horror movies where pinky and the brain take over the world...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 11:24:03 PM »
Technology is a wonderful thing, but it has its place.
As we rush forward, we seldom think of about what we sacrifice.
Automated shopping systems , robots to read to our kids, automated cars.
As we rush forward are we actually going backwards?
Family, neighbours and society keep getting the bonds that glue us together pulled apart.
Maybe I'm wrong but I'll keep doing stuff myself, making mistakes living and learning as I go.
Glad I'm not that brain surgeon depending on a steady hand to save a patient.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 06:50:01 AM »
We won't be seeing this tech for a longtime yet, yes they are advancing rapidly but government legislation and the road rules will need to be carefully implemented, and with the rapid changes as the tech progresses means the rule makers will struggle to keep up!

ABC reported in Feb this year...
"In a speech delivered in the South Australian Parliament today to mark the formal opening of the new session, the Government outlined a plan to reform two pieces of road legislation."
"[The] Government will reform both pieces of legislation and also legislate for driverless vehicles, which will revolutionise transportation in South Australia."

And in the UK, in Feb this year, the UK transport minister and the head of a driverless car project announced.
“This Government review of regulations paves the way for the introduction of driverless vehicles on UK roads. UK Autodrive will make use of these changes to lead the development and adoption of autonomous driving technologies. The three year programme will demonstrate those autonomous technologies in the cities of Milton Keynes and Coventry, positioning the UK as a leader in this domain.”

There seems to be a strong appetite for driverless cars and I think this is going to happen very rapidly.

MarkVS
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
ffffttt, Jeep has had this sort of technology for years.

Yep, cars that drive themselves.....  8)

Look, some might say it was just a jammed Cruise Control, but us Jeep owners know better.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
So that's how barbies head came off

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
Gotta love all this techno wizardry and all the lazy dumbsh*te useless sheeple that it will breed into the future ... NOT !!
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
You've just described gen y perfectly except you left out self absorbed:)