Author Topic: Feeling sad, but stronger for my MySwag mates.  (Read 13872 times)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Feeling sad, but stronger for my MySwag mates.
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:20:24 PM »
We have just found out today that DHS are intent on relocating interstate our twin foster boys, who have been with us since they were just 3 weeks old.

Of course we will miss them, but just so sad that they will lose all contact with the only "mummy " & "daddy" they have known for almost the first 2 years of their lives.  This will inevitably cause them a sense of loss, and the failure of DHS to understand the complexities of such situations and develop transition plans accordingly only increases that risk.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:15:07 PM by B&B »
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!
The following users thanked this post: mumbls

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Feeling a bit sad tonight.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:21 PM »
jeeze dude.. thats fawkin harsh..  whats their reasoning..

nothing you can do at all???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »
Hats of to you and your wife B&B, We couldnt do it ... Thats going  to be so hard for the little blokes and your selves ..  :'(
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:43:52 PM »
Wow!  Out of the blue or expected? Very sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »
Typical of DHS farking useless!!!!
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »
We had a foster child living with us as kids and when they moved her on, it felt like we had lost a sister. I feel for you and hope something can be worked out.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 10:09:35 PM »
 :'(  feeling saddened for the boys and you B&B...guessing they're being relocated to 'family'?

We've currently got an 8yr old boy who's with us temporarily - which could be anything from 6mth or until...... He's only been with us for 1.5mths, and despite an extremely rough start, he's already secured a sweet spot in my heart, and there'll be more than a few tears shed if/when a permanent home is found for him  :(

We insisted on a transition period with him, because we knew he would be a long term (though officially called short term), and I felt it wrong that he come to us without any knowledge whatsoever of what to expect.
But he was only coming from 2 hrs away, that's a lot more doable than if it was interstate  ;)
We have also made it a point that if/when a decent family is found for him, that we'll continue to be a part of his life  :)
Bob and Robyn

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »
 :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: to all the people who can open their lives up as foster parents...

I couldn't do it. Kandee was part of a family of 7 that were all fostered out and she only knows where a few of them are... :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »
:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: to all the people who can open their lives up as foster parents...

I couldn't do it.

X 2  :cup:
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 11:05:23 PM »
Typical of DHS farking useless!!!!
Pretty wild statement there Fuji, come and have a few beers and a chat to my daughter, might open your eyes and your mind  :-* :)
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 11:21:14 PM »
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 11:22:23 PM »
Pretty wild statement there Fuji, come and have a few beers and a chat to my daughter, might open your eyes and your mind  :-* :)

Think like most things today it's the  sysyem not the people.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 01:39:04 AM »
Sony to hear that barry what's thier reasoning for that? Sometimes you've realy got to wonder about government departments logic...what happened to the children's best interests

Offline richee

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 07:13:08 AM »
This would be especially hard with children you have fostered since birth.

We fostered 2 boys 6yo and 12yo for 18 months and we always knew that we would be only part of their journey.

It's sad and hard to let go and you can only hope that everything will be OK for the kids.
2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

Offline robbo1172

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go...
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 07:43:42 AM »
I'm going to raise a toast to foster parents this afternoon.

They are completely selfless and have my utmost respect...

:cheers:

Robbo...
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Ghandi

http://www.rockfactor.com.au

https://www.facebook.com/rockfactorduo
The following users thanked this post: Hodgies

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »

Robbo...

X2
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »
Sorry to hear Barry. :'(
You and your wife are to be congratulated on giving these kids the start in life they no doubt needed and I hope in some way you have contact again.
 :cup:

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »

Robbo...

I couldn't have said it any better, these kids are lucky there is people like these willing and able to take them in to be a part of their own families for as long as is needed, knowing you are going to have to say goodbye one day.

Matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline InMused

• Tent User
  • Researching to the nth degree
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
In my line of work I see these relationships from an outsiders perspective.  Foster families are difficult and complex at best.  Hats off to all who feel the call to care for our societies most vulnerable.

B&B.  I hope that your loss may be tempered with the knowledge that you have sowed a great seed of good into what ever situation your foster kids have seen.

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
I agree with you Fuji!    Where I worked I saw a great deal of their uselessness in many cases.... nothing done, not enough done or far too much done on occasions, causing un necessary pain to many children and families who just needed more understanding, support and guidance on a regular basis....24/7!  and there is pretty much only one govt funded organisation that can provide that...

Desert Lover

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.

Of course we will miss the boys, but that isn't the cause of our sadness.
Rather, it is that there was an opportunity for the transition to be managed well, so the boys could get to know those they are going to in advance, and the loss could be minimised. Unfortunately this has not occurred, and therefore the boys are at risk of feeling that they have been 'rejected' / 'abandoned' by us, with potentially serious long term emotional consequences.

I an new to this 'game', however the other half isn't.  She has seen the impact that poorly managed changes in care have had on young children. At the moment the boys aren't 'broken', but sadly that mightn't remain the case because of the way the transition is happening.

It didn't need to be this way, and only this morning we heard of another case of similar aged twins being moved interstate in extremely similar circumstances relatively recently.
In that case the primary ( foster) carer traveled with the children and stayed for several weeks to assist with the transition. That is what we had wanted in this case, but sadly DHS just isn't interested.
These two little boys will be the poorer for that.

As to DHS, I get that they are under resourced and over worked, one consequence of which is that care placements that are 'working' receive ZERO feedback / opportunity for input into care plans, despite what is supposed to happen.

I have read Keith's (Excavator) previous comments, and I don't doubt that many case workers are extremely hard working. And many of you will know from reading my posts on other threads that I do not have a 'kick-a-worker' attitude. However, I have real problems with the attitude of some at 'Manager' level. In particular, and maybe we have just been unlucky in getting a poor example, they seem he'll bent on implementing a 'one size fits all' approach, without any consideration of the specifics.  It is one thing to mouth platitudes about 'acting in the best interest of the child', and an entirely different thing to be prepared to actually consider what that might be in a specific case.

Hi Benduro, you will be pleased to know that the boys did get to spend a few nights in the Heaslip.  We had the mattress on the floor with all 4 of us on it.  :D

2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 02:31:34 PM »
We have also made it a point that if/when a decent family is found for him, that we'll continue to be a part of his life  :)
This is supposed to be a 'right' of all children in care, to be able to retain contact with people who were significant in their lives while in care.  Supposedly similar rights in other states as well, however it is virtually impossible to ensure that these rights are accessed, especially if the long term carers don't want it to happen. DHS certainly don't see it as important.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.

Of course we will miss the boys, but that isn't the cause of our sadness.

Rather, it is that there was an opportunity for the transition to be managed well, so the boys could get to know those they are going to in advance, and the loss could be minimised. Unfortunately this has not occurred, and therefore the boys are at risk of feeling that they have been 'rejected' / 'abandoned' by us, with potentially serious long term emotional consequences.

This is horrific - You would feel so powerless against the bludgeoning thud of bureaucracy...   
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 05:28:46 PM »
It goes bad from the front end too, my daughter works in DHS child protection, and it's absolutely mind bogling the things she comes home and tells us about. She will spend 100's of hours getting evidence, along with the police, and preparing a brief to try and get a child out of a dangerous home situation and into a foster home only to have a magistrate dismiss the case even though the drug/pisshead/pedophile addled parents haven't even fronted the court  >:( >:( >:(

B&B, you're doing a fantastic thing for the kids, I think it would tear my heart out in your situation, :'( but take heart in the fact that you've done your best for these kids that you could  :cup:  and now it's up to somebody else to help guide them through life.

ps the offer is still there

spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
This is supposed to be a 'right' of all children in care, to be able to retain contact with people who were significant in their lives while in care.  Supposedly similar rights in other states as well, however it is virtually impossible to ensure that these rights are accessed, especially if the long term carers don't want it to happen. DHS certainly don't see it as important.

Well I believe your "rant" is certainly worthy of the title.

Rant worthy and sad.  :'(

Best wishes to you both, and hope you don't let it get to you.
What you are doing is a wonderful thing and you need to take a moment to reflect on that.
A lot of political opinions and comments can be thrown around about such services and the severe lacking within them, but people ( yes me included!) tend to forget just how hard and difficult it can be to deal with these issues.
An honest hope of good fortune to those who participate in helping others. You are truly unsung heroes.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!