Author Topic: how to register camper in nsw  (Read 1833 times)

Offline buddha

• Learning the Ropes
how to register camper in nsw
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:52:38 PM »
Gday all,
after years of dreaming, i finally got a camper, home made,old,cheap.My question is how do i go about getting it regoed in nsw, i got no papers with it and the rta website is no help.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: how to register camper in nsw
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
Here in victoria you go to vic roads and apply for a Vin number.
Takes about 10 minutes and they give it to you.
This is the start of the Rego process.
Once it's ready to go you make an appointment to get the plates ect and if it's under 750 kg you don't need to get an inspection .
The vin numbers entered on your compliance plate and riveted to the drawbar and you need to mark the chassis with the vin number also.
It's pretty simple to find trailer regs for your state online.
If you need anymore help let me know.
Welcome to register it at my adress if it's easier then transfer a dresses before regos due again if you get to much grief.
Everything's easier here in Mexico except judging the weather

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:53:38 PM »
In NSW you will need to get a weight certificate ,then get a blue slip inspection then toddle of to the RMS  with proof of ownership and identity good luck
link http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/index.html

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »
What rags said.

I'm registering an unregistered camper at the moment. As a tip, find an inspection station with a weighbridge, and kill two birds with one stone

When driving your unregistered trailer around keep all documentation around in case the boys in blue pull you over so you have a paper trail. You can drive unregistered to the nearest convienent weighbridge/inspection station. If like me,  it fails you've got 14 days to rectify the defect

They'll probably want to weld the vin # onto the drawbar as well because it's too easy to rip the riveted vin plates off when they get robbed

Hardest part will be proving ownership unless you have a bill of sale from previous owner
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline buddha

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 03:55:46 PM »
thanks for the info fellas, got the trailer at mates (mechanic) today and he reckons he will have it done by sat morn. You've gotta love this site so many people willing to help out, thanks again.
buddha