Author Topic: genealogy / family tree stuff  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
genealogy / family tree stuff
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »
So anyone into researching family trees ??

what is the best way to do it, I see everything so far wants $$$ to do it...

thanks
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Marschy

Re: genealogy / family tree stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:36:42 PM »

thanks
Go to the experts in this field. No,not ancestory.com, the mormon churches website geni.com.

You may ask why?

The Mormon church is are the largest source of genealogy data in the world. Ancestory.com are simply interested in taking your money.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45:49 PM »
I found the prison records more helpful. 
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Marschy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:47:15 PM »
There is a little bit more to the reason why the Mormon church is the largest source of genealogy data in the world. Each person who is put into a family tree that does not have their religion stated, the Mormon church supposedly accept into their faith, or something like that.

But don't let that put you off using their site. They don't push their religious ideals down your throat. They simply want you to use their site for recording your family tree.

Through this site, my family tree has been found to go back to the 1620's. My family has re-established links between my family in Australia, Germany, Denmark, England, Ireland, to the point where we have communicated with distant relative in America that we never knew we had. A relative who until the end of the cold war was in East Germany and since the fall of the Berlin Wall has been a fantastic source of information with regard getting birth, death and marriage certificates, that without the fall of the Berlin Wall would never have occurred.

geni.com has been fantastic in establishing all these links and relationships.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:51:58 PM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:51:07 PM »
Funny you should say that, my great grandfather was a polygamist who spent time in Pentridge in the early 1900's after marrying a New Zealand nurse while still married to my Great Grandmother. Upon release from prision we think he was deported leaving my great grandmother penniless.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:57:58 PM »
Family knowledge back as far as you can on both mother / father.. ... news paper notices in major papers at the period of time  of where your relatives came from : Births deaths marriage crimes commited etc ... cencus site ... Government births deaths marriage register  ... Australian War memorial .. Ancestory isnt all that dear, think the daughter paid $25 for a month and was able to get records of names etc back to the 1600's for Prussia / germany / Austria on my mothers side and almost the same for England on my fathers side .. in that time .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:00:26 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Marschy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:06:37 PM »
A lot of the data on the ancestory.com site is available free of charge from their biggest source of data, the National Library in Canberra. The National Library are slowly digitizing newspapers that have been collated for well over a hundred years, so information like births, deaths and marriages is slowly becoming available in electronic form which makes it easier to find. The National War Museum in Canberra is also undertaking the same exercise.

Some of the genealogy societies are actively working with Births, Deaths and Marriages state departments. In South Australia, the SA Genealogy society is slowly digitizing all of the old records that are currently stored on microfiche. They are also correcting spelling errors, making it easier for people to search for records. This is not done for names unfortunately, but mainly for location names. When I worked at BDM here in Adelaide, I could search to my hearts content. The number of spelling errors found in names, particularly birth registrations makes it a nightmare for searching documents.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »
Ask around.  You never know who in your family is also doing it. I've found one relative on my wife's side who has gone back a fair way and my mums cousin is into it in a big way. He's gone back a long way. Turns out an ancestor of mine names appears on Charles I's death warrant. Later he was imprisoned in the Tower of London for treason and consequently hung drawn and quartered.

Also I googled my granddads name (don't know much about his side of the family now him and his wife are dead) and found a distant relative had already created an extensive family tree online going back to the 1700's

Other than that I just pay per month on Ancestry when I have the time. I've found other branches of our family on their doing there own trees as well so have just cross checked and linked them up
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Marschy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:13:49 PM »
The National Archive of Australia (naa.gov.au) is also a good source for finding incoming and outgoing passenger lists on ships as well as military records.

tk421 is also spot on, research done by my brother led to a distant relative in the UK who had already traced my mothers side of the family. Once you get into it, it can become quite addictive.

We found it particularly hard to get beyond Australia at first. Once we had established a link from my Great Grandfather to his cousin who live and died in Kapunda in 1911, the link to the family outside of Australia was made. This turned a snowball into an avalanche of information.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 07:29:08 AM »
l have tracked down 2 relatives that went to the WW1 from Nagambie station  & returned . l have also tracked back to Kent in England to a bloke of my name that was employed in the same game as me . Bit spooky  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

tazzi

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »

thanks
See if there is a genealogy society/club anywhere close to you.  We have one here in Hervey Bay and I know there is another in Bundaberg so I would imagine there are quite a few of them around.  These clubs usually have their own small library of resources as well as a wealth of knowledge on how to get started and where/how to find info.  Contrary to what the ancestry.com tv ads would have you believe, not everything is available online.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
l have also tracked back to Kent in England to a bloke of my name that was employed in the same game as me . Bit spooky  :cheers:
Is that same game, the Master taste tester for a brewing company ?, Hope it wasnt for Newcastle brown bitter ale, a pommy bloke I know reckons theres a ward at the local hospital just for drinkers of that stuff ... ;D ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »
My dear old girl has been into it for years. First fleet convict on her side and Royal Marine on the old man's side. She's got numerous books, letters, birth, death & marriage certificates and just plugged away. Trips away always had them at a cemetery or church researching a photographing headstones.

When it was 'trendy' to have a convict relo, back in the mid 80's, she did research for others. She once tracked down a workmate's ancestor who she found out was transported for having relations with a goat.....be careful what you wish for  ;D

....and my granny was horrified that anyone would be pleased to be related to a convict  ;D

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
Thanks people..

All I need to find out is my mothers parents names who died in the 50's - to get MY MOTHERS DEATH CERTIFICATE!!!!!!!!

The world truly is ****ing beyond hope...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »
Thanks people..

All I need to find out is my mothers parents names who died in the 50's - to get MY MOTHERS DEATH CERTIFICATE!!!!!!!!

The world truly is ****ing beyond hope...

You've tried here?  https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
Bird - you can sign up to ancestry.com.au for a free 14 day trial. Just cancel the subscription before the 14 days is up.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »
My olds are poms.. the only thing I found free is www.freebmd.org.uk/ but that doesn't do Shit.

The census data might help you as it shows households including parents but you got to pay for it. My ancestry account is on the free view one so can't see the data.     

Just sign up for the 14 day free trial to get what you need or find someone with an active ancestry account

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »
Well I did it the easy way, sat on hold with the most mind numbing on hold music you've ever slashed your wrists to for 146 minutes, to have a 20second chat with the lady, who said just leave it blank...

@%)$*@($)@&*&!^*$(&^@%*&^*$^*(%^*%ing world....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
Years ago I borrowed some CDs from the local library.  These where Victorian birth, death, marriages indexes.  These were a good starting point, ended witha 1000's of names.  Luckily most of my ancestors were in victoria.   These would give you the years the "event" was registered (might be the following year if it was near robe end , December etc). and the location registered. 

They are only as accurate as someone's reading the handwritten entries, so you had to try various spellings.

They are also "online" at the local library on a networked computer, along with other records from interstate.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline slave

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »
Better still are NSW births, deaths and marriages which are free to search online.

WA have some free but not sure exactly is available.

Some wills/ probate are available in Victoria, I was able to find one from about 1880.

In over 30 years research no one had been able to find out how my paternal gggg grandfather arrived in Australia. I believe my sister was close until she went to join them
2003 Holden Ute
1996 Cub Camper

Marschy

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »
Continue to have problems finding the birth certificate for my Grandfather on my fathers side. Information we have is he was born on a ship that set sail from Brisbane to Adelaide in 1898, but we still to this day cannot find what ship or his actual birth certificate.

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »

Ducking for cover....... :police: :police: :police:
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
Slave, he may have come over under a different name or couldn't spell his name properly and someone guessed it.

Marschy, nit sure but you might find the birth is only recorded in the ships record.  Not much help if you don't know the ship
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: slave

Marschy

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
Marschy, nit sure but you might find the birth is only recorded in the ships record.  Not much help if you don't know the ship
That's the conclusion we have come to.