Author Topic: D- Shackles  (Read 22701 times)

Offline Lloyd65

• Tent User
  • Toyota 200 & Kimberly Kamper
D- Shackles
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »
Hi All
Just read this in Royal auto
Rumours of police in several states clamping down on non-load-rated D- shackles being used to tow caravans,
boats & other trailers are just that: Rumours. Many members have raised concerns with RACV that they'd
be fined for using what they thought was common towing hitch component. The caravan industry of Australia
has told RACV various police & state transport departments have denied any sort of crackdown. The CIA also
confirms there is no specific requirements for D- shackles such as when attaching a trailer to a tow-bar.
The Australian Standard on shackles (AS 2741-2002) only covers their use for lifting. "Our understanding
is there is currently no regulations requiring shackles used on trailer safety chains to comply with standard,"
says Stuart Lamont of CIA. "However,some state authorities provide guidelines or advice for selecting suitable shackles."
Mr Lamont says the CIA does recommend using shackles that meet AS 2741-2002 to secure safety chains up
to 3500Kg capacity. The grade should be "S" or "6", have a 10mm diameter and working load limit of 1000Kg.
Mr Lamont says either bow-shackles or D-shackles are suitable, noting that the bow provides greater angle use.
Cheer Lloyd
Lifes Good :D Lloyd & Pam

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: D- Shackles
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
Found this, search for QLD Towing Guide to get the entire document.

TMR requires that “D” Shackles, used to connect a trailer safety chain(s) to the towing vehicle, must have strength that is compatible with the safety chain (fit for purpose). This can be ensured in a couple of ways:
1. Use of “D” Shackles that comply with AS 2741-2002 “Shackles” and having the appropriate markings is one way. TMR recommends this method.
2. Another way of ensuring that the “D” Shackle used is of appropriate strength is to select a “D” Shackle of reputed brand (for example, a towbar manufacturer) so the part has its brand name/model permanently marked on it.

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:05 AM »
Oh No, this has the feel of an "Electrical Thread"....
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 05:30:38 AM »
work a lot better than "W" shackles
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »
Here we go

" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »
Gotta love this stuff mate i work in Safety and hear em every day

Best ones going around atm are

"if you are not trained in firts aid and render first aid to someone who dies you can be liable"

" due to the increased risk of cancer and diabeties companies are now required by law to provide sit stand desks"
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 06:19:02 PM »
Its not a myth , i know a few people that have been pulled over due to not having rated shackles on trailer safety chains.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

KingBilly

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Its not a myth , i know a few people that have been pulled over due to not having rated shackles on trailer safety chains.

Brother-inlaw's cousin's aunty's step father's adopted grandson by any chance  :D :D :D

Well documented that it is an urban myth

KB
The following users thanked this post: KiwiAngler

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »
Brother-inlaw's cousin's aunty's step father's adopted grandson by any chance  :D :D :D

Well documented that it is an urban myth

KB

what's the myth?  that rated shackles are required by law, or that people were getting booked for not having them?

just because it is not against the law to not have rated shackles, does not mean to say that people have not been booked for such...

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=38789.msg631415#msg631415

unless it can be categorically proven that no-one has been booked for having unrated shackles, then stating that getting booked is a myth is incorrect.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:56:38 PM by paceman »

KingBilly

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 01:57:22 PM »
just because it is not against the lawto not have rated shackles, does not mean to say that people have not been checked/booked for such...

unless it can be categorically proven that no-one has been booked for having unrated shackles, then just because it might not be the law is irrelevant.

Mate, not sure what your point is but here's a fact. If something is legal, you can not be "booked" for it  ;D ;D ;D

KB

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »
Mate, not sure what your point is but here's a fact. If something is legal, you can not be "booked" for it  ;D ;D ;D

KB

interesting wordplay, but it doesn't change the possibility that people have been booked (incorrectly, as it appears) by police or dept of transport inspectors. 

just because the cops/inspectors don't know the law, doesn't mean to say that mistakes aren't made and people aren't booked.

take this as you will, but this appears to be a published confirmation of someone being booked for this offence:

http://issuu.com/timetoroamaustralia/docs/issuu_-_copy/13

maybe you could call the writer of the letter to confirm the myth?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:07:00 PM by paceman »

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »
There may not be a regulation for shackles specifically, but would it not be covered by the regulation regarding modifying a vehicle away from factory specifications?   If the manufacturer uses rated shackles then you should replace them with similarly rated shackles.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »
There may not be a regulation for shackles specifically, but would it not be covered by the regulation regarding modifying a vehicle away from factory specifications?   If the manufacturer uses rated shackles then you should replace them with similarly rated shackles.

sounds like common sense to me...

as others have said, get rated shackles and you won't have a problem, law or no law... :)

KingBilly

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »
interesting wordplay, but it doesn't change the possibility that people have been booked (incorrectly, as it appears). 

just because the cops don't know the law, doesn't mean to say that mistakes aren't made and people aren't booked.

Are you personally having a go at me for some obscure reason or are you just trying to start an arguement.

Now you are insinuating that police do not know the law.  Mate, police wouldn't waste their time pulling somebody over to check their shackles.  Nor would they bother to write a ticket for such a minor offfence.  Get real.  Perhaps the only department who would look at shackles and maybe, a very small maybe, write a ticket for shackles (but remember this is all a hypothetcial discussion as there is no law stating the type of shackles you must have) would maybe be a transport inspector.  And I find that even hard to swallow.

It is a well proven myth that this whole shackle offence/booking is a myth.  Read the OP.

KB

Funnily, you have again efited edited your post.  Just loke like the first one I responded too.

Edit - spelling
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:57:15 PM by KingBilly »

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
There is also Common Law and Negligence.   If sh** happens and someone dies because you used an unrated shackle, then you may find you have broken the law (and go to jail).
A good defence to that charge would be that you used shackles that were similar to or stronger to what the manufacturer used.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

KingBilly

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »

Bahahahahah.  Just read the story written by the wife of a man who met a random guy in a club one night who told him about a mate who was pulled over for not having rated shackles.  So dourth fourth hand story

KB

Edit spelling
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:56:15 PM by KingBilly »

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 02:17:17 PM »
Are you personally having a go at me for some obscure reason or are you just trying to start an arguement.

Now you are insinuating that police do not know the law.  Mate, police wouldn't waste their time pulling somebody over to check their shackles.  Nor would they bother to write a ticket for such a minor offfence.  Get real.  Perhaps the only department who would look at shackles and maybe, a very small maybe, write a ticket for shackles (but remember this is all a hypothetcial discussion as there is no law stating the type of shackles you must have) would maybe be a transport inspector.  And I find that even hard to swallow.

It is a well proven myth that this whole shackle offence/booking is a myth.  Read the OP.

KB

Funnily, you have again efited your post.  Just loke the first one I responded too.

nothing personal here.  would have stated the same thing to anyone hwo posted what you did.  the edit was for clarification of my statement, no change.

people are continuing to state that people getting booked for this non-offence is a myth. 

there is plenty of evidence to suggest that it may not be a myth.

stating it is a myth, as you have, is insulting to those who have said they know of people who have been booked.  you have no way of knowing that they are not correct.

KingBilly

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 02:18:25 PM »
There is also Common Law and Negligence.   If sh** happens and someone dies because you used an unrated shackle, then you may find you have broken the law (and go to jail).
A good defence to that charge would be that you used shackles that were similar to or stronger to what the manufacturer used.

Totally agree.  Use rated shackles.  I have never argued against that and have always advocted that you should use rated shackles.

But the story doing the rounds of police booking people for not using rated shackels is a myth.  Full stop.

KB

KingBilly

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »
nothing personal here.  would have stated the same thing to anyone hwo posted what you did.  the edit was for clarification of my statement, no change.

people are continuing to state that people getting booked for this non-offence is a myth. 

there is plenty of evidence to suggest that it may not be a myth.

stating it is a myth, as you have, is insulting to those who have said they know of people who have been booked.  you have no way of knowing that they are not correct.

No evidence whatsoever other than hearsay stories.  Show me one actual proven case of a person who has been booked for using an unrated shackle on a trailer and I will change my mind.  You will not find a single proven example.

KB
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:22:06 PM by KingBilly »

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
what's the myth?  that rated shackles are required by law, or that people were getting booked for not having them?

just because it is not against the law to not have rated shackles, does not mean to say that people have not been booked for such...

unless it can be categorically proven that no-one has been booked for having unrated shackles, then stating that getting booked is a myth is incorrect.

Pretty sure you wouldn't get pulled over for not having a rated shackle....even robo cops eyesight isn't that good.

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 02:57:31 PM »
If I wanted to make a quick killing selling rated D shackles I wonder how I could get that ball rolling. ;D ;D

Oh, too late, its already been done. :-[
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

KingBilly

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »
If I wanted to make a quick killing selling rated D shackles I wonder how I could get that ball rolling. ;D ;D

Um, let's see. You could try starting an urban myth that you got "booked" by the coppers for having unrated shackles.  Then write a letter to the editor of all the caravan magazines and jump on all the caravaner's forums having a whinge about getting booked and how the mate of a mate also got booked  ;D ;D ;D

KB

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
interesting wordplay, but it doesn't change the possibility that people have been booked (incorrectly, as it appears) by police or dept of transport inspectors. 

just because the cops/inspectors don't know the law, doesn't mean to say that mistakes aren't made and people aren't booked.

take this as you will, but this appears to be a published confirmation of someone being booked for this offence:

http://issuu.com/timetoroamaustralia/docs/issuu_-_copy/13

That area is near us and the Police and State Transport have issued statements that this did not happen and that there is no such offence, just guidelines.  You can follow this up in their local newspaper, but it was all another social media untruth.  Personally, I do use rated shackles on our camper.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »
i know a bloke that never got booked for this
do not use rope to restrain a load
you must use a restraint that meets Aus standards 

on a side note ratchet straps on sale 2 4 1 sale

;D
Ads
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD