Author Topic: Swags vs 'Hiking' Tents.  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Swags vs 'Hiking' Tents.
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:03:13 PM »
When I'm not using the CT I have a good quality small dome tent.
Mountain Designs 'Kaon'
Light (2.7kg) and folds up small.
Has 3 fibreglass poles with internal shock cord.
Breathes wonderfully well, so no condensation.
Designed for use in snow.

What benefits do others see in using a heavy, bulky swag instead?   ???
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Azz

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Swags vs 'Hiking' Tents.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:17:28 PM »
None!!!!

I have done both. A small excellent quality tent, preferably 4 season wins hands down.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:46 PM »
Gidday

I do both. The swag has convenience and a touch of romance. But if there is any chance, and I mean ANY CHANCE, of rain, it's the little dome tent.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:42 AM »
Small Mountain Designs dome tent for me. Oldest girl also uses it on the odd occasion she comes camping with us now.
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »
I too use a small tent but I keep wondering if a swag and stetcher wouldn't be quicker and more comfortable.

I guess if space is or isn't an issue would make a difference.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:19:59 AM »
I like the versatility of different tents. I have a two man Karrimoor low profile hiking tent bought 10yrs ago whilst in the UK. Weighs 2kg, is about the size of a pillow and can be carried on a back pack. Three poles and its up in about 5 mins. It's designed for Northern European hill walking so can withstand a gale.  Can be used without the fly as a mossie net. It was awesome camped out at Devils Marbles like that. It has entrances on both sides so no clambering over each other. Great for quick weekends away with one of the kids.

I like the idea of a swag but can't see any benefits over the tent which is lighter, packs smaller and has more room. Maybe the inbuilt mattress? But a good quality hiking mat is almost as good IMO.

Some of the swags now are getting more complicated than tents it seems.

(I've also slept under ponchos and in bivvy bags which are even quicker but more uncomfortable and not recommended for anywhere with missues!
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:07:58 AM »
Swag are great as you are not constricted in a sleeping bag.......my swags have sheets and blankets in them.

The cons is when it's raining and the amount of space they consume.

Tent, sleeping bag and self inflating mattress don't quite take up the same room  and the bonus is you have three smaller items to stow.

In saying that it's swags for me with the RV4 on standby if the weather is dodgy.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 11:01:08 AM »
I've gone away from the hiking tent, gone away from the swag and gone for a Blackwolf tent.

Nothing like being able to stand up and get changed when its pissin with rain and having room to dutch oven yaself in pleasure..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:49:46 PM »
In saying that it's swags for me with the RV4 on standby if the weather is dodgy.

Hey Weeds, what do you use under you RV4 when setup?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
Generally I have my two sons with me, so when touring in a dome tent, each morning, I had to pack all of the loose clothes up, put three sleeping bags in their stuff sacks, roll up three self inflating mats, and then pack the tent up. Often this would take 30 mins

There was also the odd morning that I was suffering the effects of being over refreshed the night before, so, it could be a bit of an ordeal.

With three swags, it's much quicker, put the pillows in the car, then roll up and away we go. Ten mins tops.

Further a swag has significantly better thermal qualities in cold weather camping.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »
When I'm not using the CT I have a good quality small dome tent.
Mountain Designs 'Kaon'
Light (2.7kg) and folds up small.
Has 3 fibreglass poles with internal shock cord.
Breathes wonderfully well, so no condensation.
Designed for use in snow.

What benefits do others see in using a heavy, bulky swag instead?   ???

So what do you use for bedding?  The tent might be nice and compact, but when you add in a hiking mat and sleeping bag it is almost as bulky as a swag.

For me a well set up swag is a hell of a lot more comfortable, and it sets up, and packs up, in seconds (I don't have one of those fancy dome swags, just the plain old flat design for me).  The only downside is if it rains.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
Generally I have my two sons with me, so when touring in a dome tent, each morning, I had to pack all of the loose clothes up, put three sleeping bags in their stuff sacks, roll up three self inflating mats, and then pack the tent up. Often this would take 30 mins

There was also the odd morning that I was suffering the effects of being over refreshed the night before, so, it could be a bit of an ordeal.

With three swags, it's much quicker, put the pillows in the car, then roll up and away we go. Ten mins tops.

Further a swag has significantly better thermal qualities in cold weather camping.
Yep, I'm hearin' you.  Was like that for the 10 week road trip with the 2 billy lids in the Subi, back in '09... Which is why I initially got interested in a CT.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »

Hey Weeds, what do you use under you RV4 when setup?

Umm, nothing to date just been careful we check the ground prior. Have been meaning to get something.

A towel is a necessity to wipe the moisture off the base.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »
So what do you use for bedding?  The tent might be nice and compact, but when you add in a hiking mat and sleeping bag it is almost as bulky as a swag.

For me a well set up swag is a hell of a lot more comfortable, and it sets up, and packs up, in seconds (I don't have one of those fancy dome swags, just the plain old flat design for me).  The only downside is if it rains.
I have a good 'snow bag' and a self inflating sleeping mat, and throw the pillow in the car.
The whole lot ( apart from the pillow) takes up less than 1/2 a back pack - not that it does on road trips. Far less volume and weight than those big canvas rolls I see on 'big time' 4x4 roof racks.
Bag shoves into its stuff sack in less than 30 seconds. Open the inlet to the mat and then roll it up. Again not more than a minute to pack.

I guess it all just shows that when it comes to camping there are as many options as there are campers.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:51 PM »
I guess it all just shows that when it comes to camping there are as many options as there are campers.

Yep, some are just not happy with those self inflating mats, and I am one of them.  Most uncomfortable things ever.

Quite frankly I don't care about the bulk or the weight.  I take my swag out of the back of the ute, undo two clips and it rolls out.  Done.  All of my bedding and pillows are inside and I don't have to do anything else.  Pack up time - zip up, roll up, clip up, and it is back in the tray before you know it.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13