Author Topic: Who has avoided camping in Vic Parks since increased fee Introduction?  (Read 9173 times)

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
I have been reading on other forum's about people who have decided not to camp in Victorian National and State Parks since the introduction of the increased fees in July 2014.

How many swaggers have looked at the Parks website and decided not to camp at a particular park because of the fees now being applied?

It would be interesting to see how much revenue the State Gov't are actually missing out on these days.

As an example, Mt Buangor ( Middle Creek Camping area ) prior to July last year used to be free however, in their wisdom now has a fee of $37.80 per site per night plus a $10 booking fee. I know of many other sites which have escalated to ridiculous prices given the facilities available.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:34:22 PM by Paul Mac »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Who has avoided campig in Vic Parks since increased fee Introduction?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:58:19 AM »
If it means the 'bogan' lot go somewhere else I am all for it. That said, for those prices you could get a powered site at a caravan park with full facilities.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline IanC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:08:03 AM »
That does seem a little excessive $$.  In Qld for 4x4 camper trailer and 2 adults it is about $12 per night. 

I think a fee is a good idea to slow up the freeloaders but in saying that we have on occasion had to request people pack and leave our booked and paid for campsite.  So you will not stop the opportunists, unless there is a Resident Ranger.
2008 Cruiser - "Guzzles"
2015 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Ciscokid

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:22:57 AM »
Yep. We looked at the sites at the otways NP and cant justify the price. Even at the inflated peak season caravan park prices it is only about upto $20 more for powered site. When you consider a drop toilet vs running water, hot showers, jumping pillow, etc for kids its a no brainer.  Disappointing as Ive spent some coin setting up the camper for 'free camp'. No doubt the grey nomads will be thinking the same in there luxurious caravans.

Id rather support the local business than support the govt with this change.  Lets just hope the CP dont inflate their prices because they realise they now can with all the boycott.
LC200 60th Anniversary TTD and Jayco Swan outback 2013

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:52:10 AM »
$37.80 per night plus a $10 booking fee ??? Fark me!! Is that just for one park or are they all expensive in VIC?

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 08:00:09 AM »
If it means the 'bogan' lot go somewhere else I am all for it. That said, for those prices you could get a powered site at a caravan park with full facilities.

Spot on.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:24:49 AM »
So where does it leave us for free camp options ? Private land and anything that isnt a state or national park ?
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »
Quote from: D4D
agree//but whats the chances of bogans paying? 0% or less its only the honest people who would pay and suffer

Quote from: muzza01
$37.80 per night plus a $10 booking fee ??? Fark me!! Is that just for one park or are they all expensive in VIC?
x eleventy1

thankfully its only some select camping sites that charge extortion fees.  Caravan parks would be thanking the powers that be for this move.. makes you think really about th reasons behind it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »
.Caravan parks would be thanking the powers that be for this move.. makes you think really about th reasons behind it.

CP associations have been lobbying for it for years. They've got what they wanted.
Gov have always wanted to charge.
Greenies want to keep people out.

Everone's a winner, except those that actually use....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »
Not all Parks are at that price. Some are dearer......lol
It's graded - Basic , Medium and High then there is peak period, shoulder and off-peak seasons to calculate the fees. I will add that not all parks in Victoria are subject to fees but you have to look closely to find the ones that don't.

Sadly, even with the introduction of the increased fees the "bogan element" has not been severely deterred as I still read about campers who continue to leave their rubbish behind or drink and party ALL night in many locations. Fees wont stop that and unfortunately closures are considered by Park Victoria as the only deterrent.

I'm not wanting to rubbish Parks Victoria because on the whole most if not all rangers are hard working dedicated employees and want to protect our natural environment. They have a job to do. It's just hard to see how the desk jockeys can justify the high fees being applied.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
CP associations have been lobbying for it for years. They've got what they wanted.
Gov have always wanted to charge.
Greenies want to keep people out.

Everone's a winner, except those that actually use....
agree
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »
Totally avoided them unfortunately.   
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 09:55:25 AM »
Australia Day Weekend Parks enforcement officers were at the start of the Alpine National Park just up from Licola. They were checking cars/drivers/bikes etc. if your bike was unregistered or you were unlicensed, if you didn't have the correct firearms authorities, or you had your dog with you, you got turned around.

If the fees go to enforcement and patrols that stop these idiots camping next to me I'm all for it.

Tim

PS - it hasn't stopped us using the basic areas

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
At tidal river Friday night. At least 85% full at nearly $60 a spot. The same back packers. Tourist in renta--taragos . Family groups. 20 something's in Utes And Chain smoking bogans :). Clearly for the icon spot. The price rise hasn't scared people away.

We know this and come anyway. It's a nice spot for a couple of days with younger kids introducing them to the ocean beaches.

They have removed the really basic kids park from the park. National parks lady said because it was old and NON compliant. For my $180 3 nights. I'd hope they would build a new kids play area. (The kids can't swim 24/7).

How much does tidal river cost to run a 24hr period? 400 camps x $60 is a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --
http://www.vk3bq.com/

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
With this current fee structure I'm not prepared to pay the fees involved  >:( >:( >:(
For a basic site $5-00 pn, for a site with drop toilets $12/$15 pn, would be ok, but at the fees now, no way  :'( :'( even with an oap discount  >:(
Australia Day Weekend Parks enforcement officers were at the start of the Alpine National Park just up from Licola. They were checking cars/drivers/bikes etc. if your bike was unregistered or you were unlicensed, if you didn't have the correct firearms authorities, or you had your dog with you, you got turned around.

If the fees go to enforcement and patrols that stop these idiots camping next to me I'm all for it.

Tim

PS - it hasn't stopped us using the basic areas
That's good to hear Tim, but I still feel the structure is just too high 
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 10:23:25 AM »
I just checked the booking site - hmmm I agree Keith, a bit steep for some spots. The part where it does become a hindrance is if I want to tour over the other side of the State. I now have to book somewhere but have no idea where. I'm unfamiliar with the campsites and would normally roll up and pick one....but hard 'site' unseen.  ???

Tim

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »
At tidal river Friday night. At least 85% full at nearly $60 a spot. The same back packers. Tourist in renta--taragos . Family groups. 20 something's in Utes And Chain smoking bogans :). Clearly for the icon spot. The price rise hasn't scared people away.
what makes you think anyone but you paid? You can bet your left ball the scrotes didnt....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 01:36:26 PM »

We know this and come anyway. It's a nice spot for a couple of days with younger kids introducing them to the ocean beaches.

They have removed the really basic kids park from the park. National parks lady said because it was old and NON compliant. For my $180 3 nights. I'd hope they would build a new kids play area. (The kids can't swim 24/7).

How much does tidal river cost to run a 24hr period? 400 camps x $60 is a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't give a crap where it is, how good the view is, I would never ever consider paying $60 a night for a price of dirt in the bush. 
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline gone_bush

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »
$60?! And I thought they hung Ned Kelly. :o
There are no ATM's in cemetries

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 04:28:10 PM »
Me- it's a scam, and I can guarantee, not spent on any actual land management. Free state forests for me.

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
There is little doubt it's a punitive measure to keep people away from a lot of the places, such as the 90 mile beach camps. And yes it is reactive from the minority that leave all their crap behind and vandalise everything in sight.  I heard reports that the 90 mile beach surf fishing comp numbers were way down this year on previous years.
Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
Me- it's a scam, and I can guarantee, not spent on any actual land management. Free state forests for me.
... sadly if anyone knows its A_C :'(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Juddy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
As someone who has worked in park management in VIC, and a regular user of our great outdoors I feel I have some points to offer! Firstly, anyone who believes that camping/park fees are directly spent on managing/improving the park in which the money is spent is mistaken! Two words 'consolidated revenue'! I once worked for an area that had a very rare situation! Some kind of trust had been established for a section of bush, that saw "ALL" money's received for that area returned to the management of that area, and clear of DSE's consolidated revenue! We had the best of equipment, and provided a great service to those who use the area! Theories about using fees to exclude certain groups/members of the public from using the area are also wrong! Park/land management makes the government of the day next to zero $$$! Any money gathered is purely spent to offset the original expense in establishing/maintaining iconic bush/tourist experiences for the tourism industry! Also, the insignificant actions of an irresponsible few who choose to damage our public land areas can cause hundreds of thousands of dollars damage! This for a manageent team with $10,000 to sprend on fox control, rabbits, weeds and maintenance for an entire park, hurts! Don' blame the parkies! Blame/lobby the government! It's hard to place a value on park and camping management!

Cheers Juddy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:20:31 PM by Juddy »

Offline PeteGU6

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:11 PM »
I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for what is offered and then where they are not ridiculous, most of the time I wont pay because I want the flexability to decide where I stay on a day by day basis. State forrests for me till they hopefully review the structure and size of fees...

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
I wouldn't again for tat money I agree with gone bush!