Author Topic: Advice on selling a camping trailer please  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Mike D

• Learning the Ropes
Advice on selling a camping trailer please
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »
Hi,
My Mum has a Kamparoo camping trailer the same model (or very similar) as in the pics below. It's been sitting under her house since Dad passed away 10+ years ago and she wants me to do something about it selling it for. There's no stove or fridge or gas bottle, but there's a custom side annex and a fly. It's been shut up for around 10 years + so I assume all the canvas would need to be cleaned and re-waterproofed, there's no way you could just hook it up and head off camping. I suppose it would be suited as a restoration project for some one. Anyway Mum asked me to sell it for her but I have no idea what it would be worth. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers
[][][/img]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:28:52 AM by GGV8Cruza »

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Advice on selling a camping trailer please
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
pics missing, mate...

the pictures will be really important for potential advice.  if possible, pics of the trailer with the tent open will also be helpful to your cause...

good luck!

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:54:59 AM »
A few more pics of the item might help us.  You can search for Cub Camperoo on Gumtree. Do an Australian wide search and see what people are asking for them.

I would recommend you take plenty of pics after you have set it up and cleaned it. It's a tuff question to answer without us seeing the general age and condition of your CT.

Offline Mike D

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:01:03 AM »
Tried posting pics but don't know how. They were only of the model and not her camper anyway.
Wont be cleaning it up. Just looking for advice where I might find some one looking for a cheap project. We were thinking 1k but have no idea if that was reasonable as I know nothing of campers. If I drag it out from under her house it will be to show some one thinking of buying it for a project,
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:16:04 AM by Mike D »

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »
Tried posting pics but don't know how. They were only of the model and not her camper anyway.
Wont be cleaning it up. Just looking for advice where I might find some one looking for a cheap project. We were thinking 1k
you wont sell it unless you open it up so the buyer has an idea what they are in for and in that case you may as well tidy it up a bit to get more for it - but posting photos on here is something i have not been able to master in the years i have been on this forum
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »

get yourself a free account on photobucket.com and upload your photo/s
once photos are uploaded, click on the photo you want to add to your myswag post and you'll see on the RHS, a 'direct' link.  when you click on that, you will get a little 'copied' notification in yellow.  that means you have a direct link to your photo copied to the clipboard
once you have your link, when posting on myswag, to add your photo, just click on the 'image' button (just below the 'bold' button') and it will add the following to your post (because the image tags disappear when posting, i have replaced the square brackets that you will see, with quotation marks for example purposes.  the image tags are invisible)

"img" "/img"

all you have to do then is copy your link (shift insert, or CTRL-V) that you got from photobucket IN BETWEEN the two image tags (do not delete anything from the tags).  example below:

"img" http://yourimagelinkfromphotobucket "/img"

the image tags will disappear and instead of your link, you will see your picture in the actual post.

feel free to test in the following thread:

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16378.msg653255#new

i've added a couple of animated GIF's to help show the link copy and link paste process (they just repeat, so if you miss a bit, just keep watching... :)  )...

link copy process in photobucket:

link paste process in myswag:

have a go and get back to us with questions... :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:25:44 AM by paceman »

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
PM sent

GG

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
Pictures added to the first post

GG

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 10:37:26 AM »
Where are you located?
What ballpark price you thinking?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mike D

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 12:29:37 PM »
Where are you located?
What ballpark price you thinking?
Brisbane.
That's what I'm asking you guys.....what is the ball park? I know nothing of camp trailers, I wouldn't know if it was worth $500 or $10,000. What an average price for a camper like this in fair condition. My parents used it often until Dad died 11 years ago then it has just sat under the house.

What I'd like to do is sell to some one who'd clean it up to use themselves, not to one of the guys PM'ing me looking for a bargain to make some quick cash at my Mums expensive.

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
Brisbane.
That's what I'm asking you guys.....what is the ball park? I know nothing of camp trailers, I wouldn't know if it was worth $500 or $10,000. What an average price for a camper like this in fair condition. My parents used it often until Dad died 11 years ago then it has just sat under the house.

What I'd like to do is sell to some one who'd clean it up to use themselves, not to one of the guys PM'ing me looking for a bargain to make some quick cash at my Mums expensive.

what year? what condition? what extra's? etc etc

I just looked on gumtree and this came up -

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gayndah/camper-trailers/cub-kamparoo/1058859800

maybe give the bloke a call and find out what year his is and what condition it is in - will give you some guide.

if you know nothing about it, then how do you know someone PM'ing you is ripping you off?
don't mean to be rude, but asking an open forum what something is worth and openly admitting you have done no research and know nothing of its value will only lead to people throwing figures at you that may be well below market value.

honestly, you're kidding yourself if you think that you can provide generic pictures off the web and zero description of the condition of the item and seek a quick market valuation response.

I'm always reminded that something is only worth what another person is willing to pay for that item on the day
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
Maybe call Cub and ask them? http://www.cubcampers.com.au/

I'd suggest $1-2K max if the canvas is in good condition. If it is full of mould, which is most likely, probably $100-$500.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Mike D

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »
what year? what condition? what extra's? etc etc

I just looked on gumtree and this came up -

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gayndah/camper-trailers/cub-kamparoo/1058859800

maybe give the bloke a call and find out what year his is and what condition it is in - will give you some guide.

if you know nothing about it, then how do you know someone PM'ing you is ripping you off?
don't mean to be rude, but asking an open forum what something is worth and openly admitting you have done no research and know nothing of its value will only lead to people throwing figures at you that may be well below market value.

honestly, you're kidding yourself if you think that you can provide generic pictures off the web and zero description of the condition of the item and seek a quick market valuation response.

I'm always reminded that something is only worth what another person is willing to pay for that item on the day

I was only after a "ball park" figure, not a "market valuation response" and I did mentioned what was there and what wasn't there in my 1st post, plus I think I've relayed roughly what condition it is, fair and in need of a clean and maybe waterproofing, best suited as a restoration project were my exact words. The pics off the web were to show the type and model of Kamparoo trailer....as I stated

I joined this site to seek some advice on the camper as I don't know anything about them, but I do know that accepting "I'll give you $100 for the camper" would not be in my Mum's best interest.
cheers

Edit....neither would swapping it for a carton of beer, no thanks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:50:59 PM by Mike D »

Offline Mike D

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »
Maybe call Cub and ask them? http://www.cubcampers.com.au/

I'd suggest $1-2K max if the canvas is in good condition. If it is full of mould, which is most likely, probably $100-$500.

Thanks for that. That's exactly the sort of info I was after.
Cheers

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »
but I do know that accepting "I'll give you $100 for the camper" would not be in my Mum's best interest.
cheers

how could you know?
if its full of mould, the bearings are shot, the axle and undersides are rusted, items are missing or broken/not working, tyres flat, canvas and vinyl stuffed - then $100 might be top dollar.

so, your 'ballpark' could be anywhere from $0 - $2/3k+
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »
I was only after a "ball park" figure, not a "market valuation response" and I did mentioned what was there and what wasn't there in my 1st post, plus I think I've relayed roughly what condition it is, fair and in need of a clean and maybe waterproofing, best suited as a restoration project were my exact words. The pics off the web were to show the type and model of Kamparoo trailer....as I stated

I joined this site to seek some advice on the camper as I don't know anything about them, but I do know that accepting "I'll give you $100 for the camper" would not be in my Mum's best interest.
cheers
Mike, everyone here is just trying to help and give you advice but you have given us SFA info about your CT. How are we supposed to help you when you can't tell us what year it was made or anything about the overall condition except it hasn't been opened for 10 years.

You say it's not in your Mum's best interest in accepting $100 for the CT. it's also not in your Mum's best interest to sell the CT without even opening up, cleaning it and taking some decent pics.

The guys on this forum have given you some good advice what don't you drop the attitude and take some of that advice.  So glad you joined the forum just to sell a CT. Good luck

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
Advice on selling a camping trailer please
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »
^^^^ TNT starts to play :) :D

As with all forums, what is said without facial movement and tone of speech, something may come across harsh or misunderstood when it wasn't meant to be that way.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:58:23 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
Thanks for that. That's exactly the sort of info I was after.

No problem, I did use the WAG method for determining the amount

WAG = wild arse guess :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »
No problem, I did use the WAG method for determining the amount

WAG = wild arse guess :)

That's probably as good as any other method, given the dearth of pics/info on the actual unit.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »
Save everyone some time, take it out open it up, and post up some photos - or at least tell if the condition of the canvas... and if the wheels actually turn when you go to drag it out.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 09:34:23 PM »
To get the best price take it out, set it up and get photos out in the sun, not in dappled shade. Then put it on eBay with a full description. The auction process should get you best price, less fees of course. Poor photos and poor description will reduce the final ebay price because there is a risk for the buyer.

More dollars for you will require more work for you.

If you want a reasonable price with a little work, search eBay, gumtree etc to see what they sell for and price it accordingly, but be prepared to put it up and down a few times for tyre kickers.