Author Topic: Simax 4.5Kw Home Solar System (Info please)  (Read 20506 times)

Offline ondaboat

• Tent User
Re: Simax 4.5Kw Home Solar System (Info please)
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
I didn't get that deal i only get 23.6c feed in tarrif. Mum n Dad got the bigger tarrif but also the bigger install price.

Camprite TL8s towed by 2007 D4D Prado with lots of goodies.

Marschy

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »
I didn't get that deal i only get 23.6c feed in tarrif. Mum n Dad got the bigger tarrif but also the bigger install price.
Yep $10K for 3.2KW. But it has nearly already paid for itself in savings. We get a credit during summer, and pay bugger all in winter.

AdrianLR

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »

A mate of mine who is an engineer in the alternate energy field told me a while ago that the energy required to produce a solar panel means that it takes at least 10 years just to break even in regards to energy produced. If you can follow what I mean...

Can anyone with some knowledge in this area confirm or deny this?

This is a common urban myth. Lots of comprehensive studies available which conclude 1 to 3 years to cover the manufacturing, transport and installation energy. The panel will then be net positive for the next 20+ year life. Here's an example:

http://sunlightsolar.com/img/PV-Embodied-Energy_Home-Power-mag.pdf

Perhaps you friend was referring to financial payback? This could be 10 years under some circumstances.

I had to answer this question about wind and solar energy regularly in a previous job so did some research to check the logic.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 07:33:15 PM »
out of curiosity....what brand inverter and panels do you use?

Trina panels (or German solar (still chinese) if you're on a budget) and SMA inverters.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 07:42:36 PM »
I tell every customer, that if it can't pay for itself in 3 to 4 years its not worth it.

With the current feed in tariff a solar setup is not worth it unless you are using the power being generated.
Ie at home during the day or have a pool or heavy power demand.

I recently had a customer complain that he only got $8 back from his 2.5 KW system over the last 3 months.
When I went to see him and read all his meters etc, he had used 1006 KW of what he had generated and sold 101 kw.
This means he had only "wasted" 101 kilowatts and was using his system very efficiently.
When I explained that he had saved around $290 by not buying it he was happy.

Businesses are the ones who will benefit most under the current system.
They can use it during the day when they need it.

Like anything electrical - its a dark art!!!! >:D

Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Trina panels (or German solar (still chinese) if you're on a budget) and SMA inverters.
cheers for the info, was just curious as I said earlier.  I've already got solar on my place, was just wondering what people in he game are fitting these days was all.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 09:04:37 PM »
I was also led to believe that there is a limit to the amount of feed in 'refund' that a consumer can get. I thought I read on a quite that I had got it was around a max of 20kw a day which equated to $1-60. Was going to be a loooong time before it would pay for itself & then would be close to useby date

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

AdrianLR

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
The game changer for residential solar will be when the price of batteries drops. For those in Melbourne, drop by Jeff's Shed on Thursday 16 October (tomorrow) and go to the All-Energy conference/exhibition. Free to attend (exhibitors and sponsors pay enough to make it free) and you'll see hundreds of renewable energy systems. Lots of smart inverters with batteries attached that allow you to direct the electrons from a solar array and the grid to and from the batteries to minimise cost. Interesting times ahead.

Offline jimquim

• Swag User
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 08:30:25 AM »
This is a common urban myth. Lots of comprehensive studies available which conclude 1 to 3 years to cover the manufacturing, transport and installation energy. The panel will then be net positive for the next 20+ year life. Here's an example:

http://sunlightsolar.com/img/PV-Embodied-Energy_Home-Power-mag.pdf

Thanks for posting that link - some interesting reading and certainly sheds light on the issue (bad pun)! Maybe he did mean cost recovery.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »
When calculating pay back time you have to take in consideration that you have saved yourself buying electricity by using what you have generated.
Then it will be a different story.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
Everybody seems to forget that bit only to concentrate on the rebate . l looked back over 12 months to betermin the payout then used that as a base to work from  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
There you go, the first bill where we don't have to pay anything.

Offline Murph

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »
3kw system installed 31/2 yrs ago . We got the 60c PFIT and have not paid a elec or gas bill in that time . This PFIT goes till 2024 my calcs tell me the unit will have paid for it's self in June 2015 . In my case it has been and continues to be one of my better investments  :cheers:

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
For the past 2 years I’ve had numerous companies canvasing my neighbourhood trying to sell me solar, but I’ve always said no as we only get a 8 cent rebate.

But now the Wife only works 2 days per week and home more during the day I’m starting to consider about adding solar. This isn’t to make money as I know that won’t happen, but rather use the energy ourselves which the panels produce.  If we did get panels it would means that the washing machine, dishwasher, vacuuming etc would be used during daylight hours. Also the pool pump would he changed to run during the day and hopefully the solar might help reduce the costs of running the A/C during those hot QLD days over summer.   

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »
For the past 2 years I’ve had numerous companies canvasing my neighbourhood trying to sell me solar, but I’ve always said no as we only get a 8 cent rebate.

But now the Wife only works 2 days per week and home more during the day I’m starting to consider about adding solar. This isn’t to make money as I know that won’t happen, but rather use the energy ourselves which the panels produce.  If we did get panels it would means that the washing machine, dishwasher, vacuuming etc would be used during daylight hours. Also the pool pump would he changed to run during the day and hopefully the solar might help reduce the costs of running the A/C during those hot QLD days over summer.

Beachman,

All the usual disclaimers since I sell and install the stuff in $h1tney, but obviously your miles away so this isn't a sales pitch.
Just a professional opinion.

I get a lot of customers worried that there is no government rebate anymore and you only get 8c per KW hour that you put in.

This is true, but is only a snapshot of the big picture.
Most people (Yes this is true - check it if you wish) believe that they get cheaper rates out of peak times and can save money this way.
Check you meters and your network provider. There are VERY few homes that can actually get this and or benefit from it.
Time of use metering is not available to a lot of areas. Also the areas it is available to may not get full benefit if they can't work their usage around the off peak times.

Add to this the fact that with a solar system you don't buy power that you generate for your own use.
A simple 2 KW system can half your bill. You will still always have connection fees etc etc, but you really are getting free energy.
You are not buying power while the sun shines.
I have a lot of satisfied customer who have benefited from a decent system.

Another thing to consider is the whole "chinese" thing. Myswag is full of chinese debates re good, bad etc.
yes there are cheap chinese, but there is also good chinese.
Look deeper and you'll find almost all panels are made in china under license to other countries. Your quality "german" equipment has been produced in china "under german supervision".
Phones, PC's motors and pretty much anything you use these days in made in china. Some good, some bad.
Better to look for a reputable company that won't be bust in 3 years leaving you with no warranty than to buy "non" chinese which is probably made there anyway.

A bit of research will help you with this.
I have used SMA inverters for a long time without hassle. I have had a few warranty claims here and there but nothing worth rating as a negative.
On the other hand, I have installed as many or more "samil - solar river" inverters which are "chinese" and have not had a failure yet.
Now Murphy's law clearly states, everyone I have ever put in will now blow up tomorrow, but to date not one failure.
The only panel problems I have had are with my own panels at home which I spent the extra money on and bought the "good" non chinese ones.
Corrosion and a diode problem.

Lucky I can fix it myself, but not certainly wouldn't rate the "good" panels (which I won't name so I don't upset my distributor.... :-[)

As with most things, you get a gut feeling for the company and its installers. Go with that.

Cheers
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post as it’s always good to hear all views of different subjects especially considering Solar is what you do for a living.

Seeing the next time I move out of this house is in a pine box, I might have to investigate Solar more seriously.

Thanks   

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »

Add to this the fact that with a solar system you don't buy power that you generate for your own use.
A simple 2 KW system can half your bill. You will still always have connection fees etc etc, but you really are getting free energy.
You are not buying power while the sun shines.
I have a lot of satisfied customer who have benefited from a decent system.

just to clarify something in my own mind:

this type of 2KW system to 'half' your bill would only be effective if people were home during the day?

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 01:11:53 PM »
That is running appliances during the day when using the power generated by your solar system.
You don't have to be at home to run a dishwasher or washing machine. Put it on a timer and you are set.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
That is running appliances during the day when using the power generated by your solar system.
You don't have to be at home to run a dishwasher or washing machine. Put it on a timer and you are set.

that what i was also implying (badly, as it turns out)... :)

if no appliances are running during the day, no benefit?

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
Depends on what your rebate is.
With the current 7.135 cents then you will still get some, but when you buy power it will cost you 22.3601 cents (in WA, A1 tariff).
You will be better off using what you generate then selling, because that will mean that you don't have to buy power at a higher price.
There is always some benefit, but less.
Previously with the 48 cents rebate, was a different story. But that is gone for new customers.

Offline Murph

• Tent User
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
Got a letter from Energy Australia informing me they are lifting my PFIT from 60c to 66c ! I'm a happy camper

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:29 PM »
My 4.5 K system ripps my bill to bits . l get a 5%discount cause l pay on time before l get the bill , as lm always in credit  :cup:    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 09:59:31 AM »
I still love our solar system.
Another "NOT REQUIRED" in payable by... :-)

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
We love our 4.56 system... Currently $1200 in credit :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 11:17:09 AM »
We love our 4.56 system... Currently $1200 in credit :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Are they going to pay you?