Author Topic: Derby caravan parks  (Read 9743 times)

Offline tikety

• Sleeping Bag User
Derby caravan parks
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
G'day all I don't like to slag off on things but we tried to stay at a caravan park in derby today that had a pool so the kids could cool off, when visiting reception to book in we got refused because kids are not welcome, we find that this is nothing but discrimination and ridiculous kids only learn by being around older people

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Derby caravan parks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:07:57 PM »
I stayed there last year and the reason I stayed there is because they don't have kids, I guess we all have different needs
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline coopa1

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
We found that in 2012. Thought if was a bit strange at the time but the other park is ok and the pool in town is great. I think its the only park I have heard of that doesn't allow kids in a caravan park.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »
So long as it was openly advertised at the entry or office and not done just as you enquired about a site.. you couldnt really say its discrimination, more like a offering an alternate choice to the travelling public and targeting a particular style of customer base ...
If they were the only park available offering a service then I think you might be right  to say you had been discriminated against .. And  I do have kids .
Been a bit of discussion like this on other forums too http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3109
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline tikety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 12:16:07 AM »
No it wasn't openly advertised it was as we asked about a site and the manager asked for how many people I explained that it was 2 adults 2 kids she said that we cannot stay there as we do not allow children in our park, it is the biggest joke I've heard of kids are the future of not only our country but business also, and they have great memories of who treats them with respect,  as older people expect to be treated. I can only imagine how some people would react if they couldn't stay somewhere because they don't have kids.

Offline tikety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:28 AM »
What's funnier is when people walk there dog on to somebody else's sight to urinate!! Maybe that's what they think kids do as well, and no I'm not having a go at people that take pets away because like kids the majority are not an issue

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:47:14 AM »
And none of the parks in Broome allow pets except the PCYC over flow area. It is what it is. There are other places to stay anyway and it is quite old. Personally I only stay there if I can't get in any where else while there for work.

Better off getting to Broome or up the Gibb.

I suppose it's wrong to also state that I want kid free areas on planes and especially not behind me kicking my seat  ;D
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 05:42:32 AM »

I suppose it's wrong to also state that I want kid free areas on planes and especially not behind me kicking my seat  ;D

Generally that's called 1st / business class not always though.

But back to OP,  they should of advertised, but would be surprised if this was not discriminatory from a legal point
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:46:32 AM by Garfish »
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline tikety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
Would never bother on a legal point because that also is killing this country, just want people to realise that this crap happens in our free country, maybe the people that whinge about kids forget they also had been kids

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
Yep there are lots that forget they where kids once .. To not show  the no kids ruling upfront  at the park, I wouldnt have been to happy about it either .. Their loss and hopefully you found a nicer place to have a great time .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »
You're    KID ding
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »
Before I left the NT I saw it in their brochure and on Derby saw it advertised in the tourist office so no surprise there, if you don't like.the rules then go somewhere else.
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 12:49:33 AM »
Generally that's called 1st / business class not always though.

But back to OP,  they should of advertised, but would be surprised if this was not discriminatory from a legal point

Yea, I'm aware of that and like you say - not always. I Spent 20 years traveling up the front and as a result never have to fly again to keep my status at the top of the heap. Helpful now I go from Broome to Perth a couple of times a Month and was great with the knee replacement in getting seats blocked off but anyway - was tongue and cheek anyway. It is not discriminatory either as it is well advertised. Like said just go else where. And like I said the other caravans parks here do not allow pets. Is that also discriminatory?
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 06:56:21 AM »
Not everyone likes kids,same as not everyone likes pets. I've been places where there has been a heap of kids, running through sites, making general kid noise, which is fine for the parents of this kids, because they have said, go on go play down the rd with the other kids, so while mum and dad have a nice peaceful camp, that group of now 15 kids is running around the whole park disturbing everyone.
Maybe the owners of the park got sick of having to fix things that kids destroy or vandalise? Who knows.

Ps I like kids and it doesn't bother me, just pointing out another view.

Edit, when we went to Vanuatu a few years ago, we stayed at irriki island, one of the mains reasons for this, no kids allowed. It was great sitting by the pool, without listening to kids yelling and screaming, or bombing in the water every 30sec.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:00:00 AM by oldmate »
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline tikety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »
Don't really care weather people think it's discrimination or not I think in our country, caravan and camping is a national institution enjoyed by families if people don't like families go and stay in 5 star resorts that normal families can't afford!!!

Offline steve.j

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 11:10:47 PM »
Don't really care weather people think it's discrimination or not I think in our country, caravan and camping is a national institution enjoyed by families if people don't like families go and stay in 5 star resorts that normal families can't afford!!!
That's gotta be the dumbest bullShit attitude i've heard in a while !!
94 GXL Cruiser
Softfloor camper

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 03:59:51 AM »
l reckon it catering to a market . lf you can run a business the way you want to by only dealing with you chosen clientele , & it works . Then it will work for that for that reason . Yes it tuff on those that don't fit the said set , but its their business how they run it . Bloody Grey Nomads  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 06:55:34 AM »

Of course you do, otherwise you wouldn't of posted. I guess you didn't get the replies you were looking for though. It happens sometimes. Just enjoy the other van park where you can have kids  :cheers:
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline tikety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »

That's gotta be the dumbest bull**** attitude i've heard in a while !!

Not sure which part you think is "dumbest" the fact is that caravan and camping is a family institution in Australia.

Steve.j if that's what you are prepared to say and think of people's it's as good a reason for us not to bother using or contributing to my swag

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 08:11:54 AM »

Unfortunately some caravan parks and resorts are like that.

I can understand the frustration about turning up and then you are told to go away because you have kids.

It should be advertised that children are not allowed.

I would have told the kids to sit outside, set up, and then tell the kids to come into the park. That would have been fun to watch.

Tikety, there will always be people who want children free areas. I hope you had a great holiday with the kids any way apart from this hiccup.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline tikety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 08:24:52 AM »
Cheers mark yes we have had a fantastic trip thanks, yes it would have caused some dramas lol

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »

No mate it is an institution full stop not a family institution as you say so what cause me and the missus have no kids we are not allowed to go camping
At the end of the day they have designed a business to cater to a particular market the same as any business does and the fact it has been around for a while means there is a demand for it
So basically have a coke and a smile and get over it
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline steve.j

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
No mate it is an institution full stop not a family institution as you say so what cause me and the missus have no kids we are not allowed to go camping
At the end of the day they have designed a business to cater to a particular market the same as any business does and the fact it has been around for a while means there is a demand for it
So basically have a coke and a smile and get over it
Oh my god... No kids ? How dare you use a caravan park, didn't you know their for families only ? You should be staying at a 5 star resort, I'm sure they will let you set the camper up on the lawn next to the pool........ wont they ?  ::)

Not sure which part you think is "dumbest" the fact is that caravan and camping is a family institution in Australia.

Steve.j if that's what you are prepared to say and think of people's it's as good a reason for us not to bother using or contributing to my swag
The "Dumbest" is your attitude that only families (or those that want to camp near other peoples kids) should be using caravan parks.
It smacks of the whole "as long as MY interests are being looked after, screw the rest of you" attitude that is sadly so prevalent today.
The fact is lots of people, from all walks of life, enjoy caravanning and camping, and not all of them want to camp with kids. The park is catering to that part of the market, in the same way that some cater for those that travel with pets, and some target the kid market with the bouncy cushions and kiddie pools etc.
Quite simply, if you don't like their business model, you don't have to do business with them, its that easy. 
94 GXL Cruiser
Softfloor camper

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
Well from my non parent external view there is one constant i have noticed

The parents that moan the loudest about their kids not being included usually have the kids that are the worst behaved

But hey i dont have kids so what would i know

I love flame on fridays ;D
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline tikety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 04:55:19 PM »

[quote author=steve.j link=topic=39220.msg640320#msg64
The "Dumbest" is your attitude that only families (or those that want to camp near other peoples kids) should be using caravan parks.
It smacks of the whole "as long as MY interests are being looked after, screw the rest of you" attitude that is sadly so prevalent today.
The fact is lots of people, from all walks of life, enjoy caravanning and camping, and not all of them want to camp with kids. The park is catering to that part of the market, in the same way that some cater for those that travel with pets, and some target the kid market with the bouncy cushions and kiddie pools etc.
Quite simply, if you don't like their business model, you don't have to do business with them, its that easy.
[/quote]

My theory on families is couples of any gender, parents with kids, grand parents with grand kids whatever I have not said exclusive to a family of wife husband and 2.3 kids, I felt it was poor form but that is only an opinion.
Steve the form of saying dumbest attitude and making the statement that I think screw everybody else is your thoughts.(not mine)
Some of the older generation also think kids should be outside playing enjoying the great outdoors?
And yes we did move on and find another place that was enjoyable, the whole idea of these forums is to pass on trip experiences, not a personal slanging match as some would like ?