Author Topic: Instant gas water heaters for showers  (Read 4766 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Instant gas water heaters for showers
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
Ok did the search thingo, didnt realy answer our questions .. Looking at those import types .. Aus approved gas so thats ok, Now are they good in the  colder climates ... winter time camping ..   I.E. gives a good reasonable / usable preasure /  flow of hot water, The boss likes her shower that way ..
Next it seems that atm there are a lot of 6lt/pm  ones available, does any one have one, and wished they got the bigger 10 lt/ pm  flow rate because its not quite up to the task  ? or its good enough and does the job well enough hot strong etc ..
Thanks all in advance ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Instant gas water heaters for showers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:54:28 PM »
I had 1, 10lpm shoreflo pump, heated the water really well, but you need a good water supply  (creek or river)  :'( plus there was the setting up/packing up, so I sold it and went back to the bucket of warm water and drop in shower  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline 87Bravo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • See My Build - 87Bravo's Home built Camper
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
Yep....got one....love it! Mines permanently mounted so no set up time involved. Gives hot water to the sink and the shower. The pressure isn't quite as good as at home (well we are camping) but gives a steady and hot flow rate, enough for a decent shower.
Mark
Built NOT Bought!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »
First off a BIG thanks to Marschy for the unit .... Set up  the instant hot water heater / camp shower to give it a run for the bosses approval ... Thumbs up we have a winner ... 8 liter PM heater unit provided a good [ though not as strong flow as home, but equal to the twine set up we had ] 40 / 42 deg C hot shower water and empties a 25 ltr container of cold water in 6 minutes.. Now to mount the unit & pump set up permanantly on a base board..
 Not sure what the neighbours thought of me having a shower out by the kids swings  though ..  :cup:

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
First off a BIG thanks to Marschy for the unit .... Set up  the instant hot water heater / camp shower to give it a run for the bosses approval ... Thumbs up we have a winner ... 8 liter PM heater unit provided a good [ though not as strong flow as home, but equal to the twine set up we had ] 40 / 42 deg C hot shower water and empties a 25 ltr container of cold water in 6 minutes.. Now to mount the unit & pump set up permanantly on a base board..
 Not sure what the neighbours thought of me having a shower out by the kids swings  though ..  :cup:

sooooo what unit did you buy?

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »
Hi Weeds.
 Got the unit second hand / new at a reasonable price ... It is an 8 ltr p/m A n Meny brand [        http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/227794502.html                           ], that was bought through Alliexpress, came with a short hose and elcheapo shower handle nozzle + a brass fitting for water and some mounting screws only ..
 sourced some brass screw on fittings and sealing tape  for the gas and water from a local hydraulics place for $25 and robbed our BBQ of its gas hose and regulator for the moment to set it up .
 Had our old camp shower set up laying around so did a rough setup  just to try it out .. Nice and hot [ had steam coming of the water ] even with the afternoon  outside temp of 19* C in the shade and up to a 20 knt wind blowing ..
If you wanted a bit more flow a 10 ltr p/m might give a bit more,  this one is going to work fine for us. NO more revving  truck to get the water hot enough through the heat exchanger in winter for luke warm showers.

Marschy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »
Got the unit second hand / new at a reasonable price

I never got to use it before we bought our van :'( So off to a new home it went. Good seeing it put to good use.
The following users thanked this post: Jimbob70

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:36:44 PM »
wrong spot oops ...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:38:20 PM by edz »

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:41:36 AM »
If you are going anywhere with limited water ( deserts, WA,) I would go the little unit. Ours was used every few days for showers and was fine on our NW trip this year. We had showers down to about 6 litres each, in limited supply spots or Western Aus.

Depends what you want to use it for, if you are using it to wash your horse, maybe go the big unit.