Author Topic: Air Hose setups for a shed  (Read 19811 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Air Hose setups for a shed
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
Looking at getting a setup for my shed but know nothing about these things..

Currently I roll out the compressor to the door, plug it in and click and go... but want it a little more user friendly.

I have 2 options:
1 - run air hose round the walls and have several outlets around the place. I can still do this as the walls are not covered yet.
2 - Retractable roll thing mounted to the wall somewhere

The Hose doesn't seem that expensive but the fittings are surely in Yen ???
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281376473621

Is hose hose in this case? Or is it there is no good and bad - same for fittings?
Good ones to look for over cheap Shit?

Thanks for any advice.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Air Hose setups for a shed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
Go for a retractable roll, they work like a charm. Macnaught is the best but $$$. Repco have a 'MechPro' that comes up on special every now and then that does the job for a home user. Replace the in the box fittings with genuine Nitto and you're good to go.

http://catalogues.repco.co.nz/getitemtooltip.php?itemId=465189
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:25:31 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
Go for a retractable roll, they work like a charm. Macnaught is the best but $$$. Repco have a 'MechPro' that comes up on special every now and then that does the job for a home user. Replace the in the box fittings with genuine Nitto and you're good to go.
X2 definitely go the retractable reel.
Also total tools is a great place to pick up that sort of thing.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 07:25:43 PM »
thanks dude..
I didn't think of Repco.. was thinking of tool shops which were $$$$
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
Better using 1/2" copper pipe/line for your fixed air set-up if you can.
Valved sockets for the walls and include a drier/water filter as well.
Talk to a Panel Beater/Spray Painter about it too.
Sometimes they know more than they let on.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
24 years ago I did my shed with 20mm PVC pressure pipe, everyone said I was crazy.
If you look at the specs if I remember correctly it's good for 200PSI, you can even use the high strength glue if you want. I used the standard glue and no primer, there are heaps of fittings, elbows, T's, etc available and cheap, it's dead easy to fit as you just cut and glue in a T for an outlet, glue in an adapter with a female thread and screw your Nito fitting into that, glue a cap on the end when you get all the way around your shed. I have a stack of outlets and just a 3 meter hose for use inside the shed as I have outlets all over the place..
Never had a problem with it.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
I was going to suggest the same as MarkG66. 3/4" PVC Class 18 will do the job. Tees, Elbows and End caps are all cheap. It generally looks neat and is cheap and functional.
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
24 years ago I did my shed with 20mm PVC pressure pipe, everyone said I was crazy.
If you look at the specs if I remember correctly it's good for 200PSI, you can even use the high strength glue if you want. I used the standard glue and no primer, there are heaps of fittings, elbows, T's, etc available and cheap, it's dead easy to fit as you just cut and glue in a T for an outlet, glue in an adapter with a female thread and screw your Nito fitting into that, glue a cap on the end when you get all the way around your shed. I have a stack of outlets and just a 3 meter hose for use inside the shed as I have outlets all over the place..
Never had a problem with it.

I've also seen a commercial workshop (cabinet maker) done with PVC. Don't know if I'd trust it but the cabinet maker swears by it.
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
Definitely go the hose reel. Put the compressor in an out of the way spot and run a hard line to the reel. Also put a block and bleed valve set up in line to the reel so you can keep the pressure out of the hose reel when its not in use. Ive got a 6x9 shed and the 20m reel will obviously reach anywhere inside and get me a fair way outside as well. Mount the reel up high in a corner to keep it out of the way. I just bought a supercheap reel and have had it for 7 years with no dramas.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:53:21 PM »
Don't use PVC. Yes it may work but for Air you need to double the pressure rating which means you need something like 300+psi. If PVC lets go it will explode like shrapnel.  If you wanna go cheap use poly pipe, std poly pn12.5 from Bunnings. It is still underrated but won't explode like PVC but just split. The poly fittings are rated to 16 bar so there good. You can track down PN 16 poly but it's harder to get in lengths less than 100m but it's rated for 16bar and will legally do air.  Copper is great but 1/2" restricts too much and will stop tools performing.you need big diameters to get flow or receivers at the end of the run.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
I have run hoses around the shed to provide a number of outlets, one at the work bench in the shed, another where we park the cars ( this one has a 10m retractable hose reel from Trade Tools connected to it ).
The compressor is in the back shed behind the camper ( it's quitter out there  ;D ) if we need more hose length we hook into the retractable hose reel with a couple of 10m hoses and can reach right into the house if needed ( blowing out computers and using air jigsaws when needed  :cup:  )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:53:17 PM by jk »
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »
I'm sure when I looked into it the pressure rating I used was 200PSI, all my air tools seem to be rated between 85 and 100 Psi so I have the cut set to 95

Sent from my mobile communication device using Tapatalk
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
The air lines we run around the production plants tend to be stupid expensive. I was going to run normal flexible hose around my shed with some t joints and outlets. I do have a retractable reel but the size of the thing has put me off hanging it up.

When it comes to joints/fittings, tends to be worth getting the better quality. Cheaper ones tend to burst apart when you bump them.

Better put some pics up when you get it done
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »
Repco have a 'MechPro' that comes up on special every now and then

MechPro is fine.  I've had one for over 3 years with no issue, got it on special for $80 with a free spray gun.  Total Tools and the like have the same model under different brands.
For years I've been meaning to run a few more outlets in the garage, but now I wouldn't bother.  I only need one air tool /  thing at a time, so the retractable reel suffices and no hoses left on the ground.

I ran about 30 metres of airline with outlets for works factory over 2 years ago.  10mm airhose with barbed fittings and hose clamps, about 8 outlets in total over 30ish metres off a 25CFM compressor.  Works fine for air dusters, nail guns and sanders.  Only detected 2 or 3 leaks over that time and a quick tighten of a clamp fixes it.  Having said that, the compressor gets used on average 1-2 times a week for maybe 4 hours.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
This is why you don't use PVC it's not nice when it ruptures.

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 10:57:46 PM »
Typically in Australia compressors are set to about 115-130psi with relief valves. Mostly we set the regs at 90psi but you will find you don't have that at the end of your hose. Certain tools like grinders etc use a lot if air.   The old Ryco fittings and the like used to be horrible for airflow. The modern nitto and Cejn fittings are the way to go.  Actually the old school way to plumb up tools was to put a tail of about 1.5-1.8m of hose directly to the tool with a barb then have the quick connect at the end of the lead.

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 11:02:45 PM »
Bruce the other thing to do is make sure you don't create a way for moisture to get trapped in the lines. The horizontal runs need to be straight with a fall one way or another with a drain. Again old school used to bring the drops of the top of the horizontal line and loop back down vertical, continuing down past the quick connect to a drain tap. This allowed no moisture in lines to be trapped.

Used to be fun doing all this in gal water pipe with a pipe threader, hemp and stag jointing paste.

Jim

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 11:21:04 PM »
I made my own air hose wheel, stand was from scrap metal, roll was an old fire hose reel, scrap too, and the handle from an old clothes line..

Works well

Sent by telegram stop
1993 80 series landcruiser

Offline Jacmark30

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 08:17:07 AM »
Disclaimer - I work for Nitto! 100% on the reason for not using pvc due to the way it shatters. Certainly wouldn't stand up in a workplace claim.
My only other suggestion if you want to run pipe / hose around then have outlets would be to create a ring main and drop your outlets down from that. - essentially run your line out from the compressor into a T piece then run the line in a ring around the shed and back into the T piece, place your outlets along the ring where you want. This will ensure your pressure / airflow is equal at each point - particularly if using more than one tool at a time.
And of course spend a couple of dollars extra and get the genuine Nitto fittings!  ;D
If you want to keep pressure out of the hose reel if you go that way grab a full blow cupla, which locks but also purges the air from the reel slowly and safely. www.nitto-australia.com.au for all the info!
The practice of a short length of hose from the tool to the fitting then connect to the air hose is still our recommendation (whip hose) particularly for any tool with a lot of vibrations such as needle scalpers, chipping hammers and impact wrenches. Main reason is it takes the vibrations away from the fittings giving longer life
Jacmark30

2014 Pajero

2011 Outback Swan - For Sale, 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55-5SH

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »
If you want to keep pressure out of the hose reel if you go that way grab a full blow cupla, which locks but also purges the air from the reel slowly and safely. www.nitto-australia.com.au for all the info!

Thanks for the helpful info, can you elaborate more on this? Sounds like I need to keep the air out of my hose reel when not in use.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Jacmark30

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:12 AM »
D4D, basically keeping the pressure out of your hose is more about extending life of the hose and not much more than that. Constant pressure can lead to leaks around the fittings, particularly if their crimping / clamping is a bit ordinary. Leaks will obviously drain the compressor tank.and if you want to keep the compressor turned on for quick use it will start to cycle up to keep up with the leaking air.
Jacmark30

2014 Pajero

2011 Outback Swan - For Sale, 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55-5SH

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »
Thanks for the helpful info, can you elaborate more on this? Sounds like I need to keep the air out of my hose reel when not in use.

Don't know what those are worth but as I said earlier block and bleed valve set up in line to the hose reel will do the trick. I also replaced the drain bung on the tank with a small valve which has a hose coming off it and runs to outside the shed on the ground. Saves rusty water stains on the concrete and is very easy to use.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »
I also replaced the drain bung on the tank with a small valve which has a hose coming off it and runs to outside the shed on the ground. Saves rusty water stains on the concrete and is very easy to use.

Yep..................have the same set up  :cup: , we just open the tap and drain the tank outside on the grass, but the dog goes nuts at the other end of the hose  ;D

2012 Crusader X Country

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
How often do you guys drain your tank and do you leave your compressor pressurised when not in use?

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 09:27:07 AM »
I only turn it on when it's needed ( unless I forget and hear it fire up in the middle of the night  :-[  ) and drain the tank about every two weeks ( depending on how much it's been running )

2012 Crusader X Country