Author Topic: willcania  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Dkirk

• Swag User
willcania
« on: June 28, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »
Will be travelling between Dubbo and Broken Hill in a few days time probably get around Willcania it gets a bad wrap so where should we overnight how far out of town is Ok. Have camps 7 for reference
Cheers Derek

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: willcania
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:50:19 PM »
Stay at cobar

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
Pull up at Cobar. Willcania is good for nothing, don't overnight there, avoid it like the plague. It is the worst place I have stayed, visited, been to in my life. Unfortunately my parents in law had jobs there and spent an Xmas and Easter there. What a sh1thole, I will never ever be there for an overnighter again in this lifetime. Did you get the subliminal message?

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
There is a very nice Park before you get into Wilcannia, look it up on the web.
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Gazza00

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 10:05:51 PM »

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »
Yeah heard good things about that park. Bit like kidmans camp out of Bourke. Far enough out of town to avoid trouble 
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline patyv

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:48:13 AM »
The only good thing about willcania is the road out of there,too......much trouble

Offline roversmith

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 12:50:36 AM »
Google "Coach and Horses Wilcania" nice spot, even has mobile reception.

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 02:17:05 AM »
Or you could stop at the weir at Tilpa on the south side of the river. Free bush camp if you have all your gear. Even a visit to the Tilpa pub is worth your while.
Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline brocky05fj

• Swag User
  • All Terrain CT. 03 TD Jackaroo
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »
We've stayed at Warrawong on the Darling and it was fantastic.
Brand new amenities near grassy sites, or you can get down near the river, away from it all.

Would not hesitate to go back.

Check out the reviews on WikiCamps.

Cheers

When life smothers you in molasses - make Rum.

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 08:43:05 AM »
About 5 years ago, I sold a load of hay and had  to deliver it up to a station about 300 k north of Wilcania. 
Not a problem I thought ???
I didn't know the area at all, and decided to pull up in the truck just out of town at about 1am for a sleep.
About an hour passed and I heard a couple of cars pull up, full of pi$$ed locals.
I was starting to get pretty worried, so I got dressed and started the truck, waiting for the air to build up.
I swear one of them was about to try and light my load of oaten hay up.
Truck in gear, I was out of there, not stopping for no one.
They tailgated me for about 20 k, sitting up behind that close that I couldn't see the vehicle in my mirrors.
Bloody scary stuff..... I can tell ya.
What worried me the most is if they got past me and tried to block the road, I was going to drive straight over the top of them.... No questions asked.

:cheers:
Glenn

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:44:49 AM by Swogjb »

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline Elky

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:07 AM »
sad that things have gone this way at willcania, as a kid we used to stop there doin the regular run from adelaide to bris and back school holiday time, never had issues, then in 2004 as a adult i went back to adelaide (born there moved to qld) for  the first time since moving, wow what a change, bars on the all windows, was like a ghost town not many ppl around, some said stuff gets stolen out of the back of utes if not locked, was planning on stopping but kept on goin!

luckily we did a long days travelling from qld and made it as far as cobar....was trying to get as many k's as possible could of ended up that 300k extra at the cania!
2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »
We got to wilcania just before dark one time planning to stay overnight. Pulled in fuelled up and got outa there as fast as we could, drove another 3 hours through the night to get to the next stop.
One look at the place and no way were we risking it.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 12:10:48 PM »
Pull up at Cobar. Willcania is good for nothing, don't overnight there, avoid it like the plague. It is the worst place I have stayed, visited, been to in my life. Unfortunately my parents in law had jobs there and spent an Xmas and Easter there. What a sh1thole, I will never ever be there for an overnighter again in this lifetime. Did you get the subliminal message?

So I take it you're not keen to go back?  ;D

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 12:27:02 PM »
Stopped for 10 mind to get fuel, was 10 mins too long. Now I have an FJ with long range tanks so wouldn't be doing it again, ever.

Cobar is nice
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
On the caravaners forum recently there have been good reports about the caravan park in Wilcannia, no problems, nice place on the river. We are thinking of staying there overnight next month.

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »
Wilcannia........ Just like Elliot in the NT.
Regards
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline Dkirk

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 11:03:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice pushed on to broken hill, ended up a late run have never seen so many goats
cheers Derek

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »
I had some mates come through there on bikes and they stayed at the caravan park on the eastern side of the river. They too had heard the stories, but said the park was clean and the bloke that ran it was nice.

Offline jkwpajero

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
We have stopped at Willcania a number of times over the years to get fuel at the depot in the back streets. Made it a habit to have a yarn with any indigenous brethren we saw around the place. Yep, the town has a reputation but I think that continually bagging the place just ensures that it will be harder to get it back up on it's feet again. The town has a great history as a Darling River port from back in the day and some historic buildings. It doesn't do any good to be constantly showing bigotry against the town. Did you know that  Warrawong on the Darling has the local elders come out to tell the travelers about the indigenous history ? A good way to break the mould I think.

James
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:40:23 PM by jkwpajero »
Growing older but not growing up.

2014 Pajero VR-X
2014 Jayco Starcraft Outback

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »
It all good and well jkwpajero and I am all for giving things a go and the benefit of the doubt that its all good.
When I went though,  last time was in 2010 and coming into town all we could notice was all the empty stubbies littering the side of the road, then as we got closer the security bars on the shop front windows and smashed signage of local businesses that didn't have them was a bad sign. What put the nail in the coffin was a drunken brawl in the park.
Maybe I had bad timing, and bad stuff can happen anywhere but the vibe was not welcoming
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline jkwpajero

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »
It all good and well jkwpajero and I am all for giving things a go and the benefit of the doubt that its all good.
When I went though,  last time was in 2010 and coming into town all we could notice was all the empty stubbies littering the side of the road, then as we got closer the security bars on the shop front windows and smashed signage of local businesses that didn't have them was a bad sign. What put the nail in the coffin was a drunken brawl in the park.
Maybe I had bad timing, and bad stuff can happen anywhere but the vibe was not welcoming

There are suburbs in Sydney that are as bad as Willcania is made out to be. And white people live in them. Just saying that Willcania has a reputation that is repeated constantly, and there are other places in our own backyards that are just as bad.

James
Growing older but not growing up.

2014 Pajero VR-X
2014 Jayco Starcraft Outback

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »
Don't know why people bag out Wilcannia I went there for work for five years the trouble makers kept to themselves and the elders where always helping/showing the kids the rights from the wrongs.
I was more concerned with the kids at Menindee as quite a number had a mean streak and wanted to make a name for themselves.
Need to get the backside into gear and get out camping

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »
It doesn't do any good to be constantly showing bigotry against the town.

James

I don't think anyone has even mentioned race? Regardless of the origins of the locals, any town where the pub has bars on the window and the servo has all the products ( and possibly a shotgun) behind a very high counter is not worth stopping at. The day we were there was very uncomfortable as we were looked at sideways by every single person mulling around on the main strip.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »
My wife and I stayed in Willcania in late 2010 on our way back to Townsville from Adelaide.

We rolled in at about 6pm and booked into a little motel asked the lady where we could get a feed and she said the only thing open would be the bowls club, so at about 7pm we jumped into the car and headed to the bowls club and WOW what an eye opener, the wife and I call it the Vampire town as every house & business had steel shutters over the windows and doors.

We found the bowls club and it was dark and could not see any lights on and we had thought it was closed, so I went to the front door to check and it crept open and I heard some voices at the bar so I waved the wife in. We walked into the club and were met by the friendliest locals ever, they shook our hands and said welcome to our little town shouted us our first round of drinks and we had a great time talking to the locals and a great feed too. But yes it is a weird little town And I probably wouldn't stay again.

t wasn't till we got home when friends of ours told us we were crazy staying there as they stopped in once for fuel in the middle of the day and while they were paying for their fuel a heap of 'Non reflective" kids about 20 of them started trying to rip their kids push bikes of the back of the caravan,The pump attendant said to them you better hurry!! so they bolted back to the car and took off while the kids chased them down the road still trying to get the bikes off..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281