Author Topic: Advise needed in trip preparations  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Windies

• Learning the Ropes
Advise needed in trip preparations
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
Hi There

We are heeding off on a 2-3 month trip starting in September. Trying to see South Australia Deserts, NT Deserts and Tropics and Top of WA if time permits. We are in need of advice on a camper trailer. There are 2 Adults and 2 Kids and have been looking at Jayco Outbacks camper trailer as an options. My question is will the hold up to desert tracks, corrugations and The Gibb River Road. We won't be in a rust and prepared to drive to conditions but want something easy to setup with the beds already made. We also like hard floor camper trailers but can't work out a sleeping arrangement for the kids as the floor is to small for stretcher beds to fit and if they sleep side by side on the floor, it takes up to much floor space. We are looking at spending 15-20 on a setup. Any advise will be most welcome.

Thanks

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
Re: Advise needed in trip preparations
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:45:58 PM »
I can't advise on The Jayco but one bit of advice is that if & when you do some tracks through traditional owner areas make doubley sure you really need a permit as when I was at Dampier (I think) I was advised I needed a permit to traverse some of the above land on the route I was taking. Fair enough, I thought. On the way to the permit office I started talking to one of the local Connies about this & he advised that I didn't need a permit if I was not leaving the road & that quite a few people get taken in by misinformation. I've certainly got no issue with permits but just don't get shafted.
Have a good trip
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
That is pretty tuff country for the Jayco. I think you need to look at Kimberley Kampers, Cape York Campers, Odyssey to name my preferred top three. There are others.

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »
I would go the Aussie Swag Ultra D. I'm just about to drive up to Sydney and do a final check before buying. After checking most of them out, nothing compared in IMHO.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=koxh_9eTLuo

http://m.youtube.com/user/aussieswag2

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
My DH has contacts within Jayco, and they said that their 'off road' campers really aren't meant for that kind of real offloading, and after taking our off road Mountain Trail Camper along some of the toughest tracks in Oz including the Kimberley, Cape York and Outback NSW/SA?QLD, I can't say I'd risk it with a trailer that's not built to handle those conditions.

The soft floor off road campers with more space really don't take that long to set up, but if you're after a camper with beds ready to go, have you considered a secondhand Camprite Camper? (new ones are pretty pricey I think?)

When you fold open the camper, there's a double bed plus two singles ready to go, and the singles can convert to two bunks sleeping four. There's just not a lot of extra room to move around inside, but it probably comes with an annexe if needed and you are up off the ground and can set up on any kind of terrain.

It sounds like a fantastic trip. Good luck with your decision.

Karen

Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
Theres been plenty of Jayco campers that have traversed these areas. My bro ventured from Cairns to the Cape last year and has recently returned from a trip (from FNQ) down through the centre and back, encompassing the Birdsville, Strzelecki, Bore Track and the Lynd. In an Outback Swift. Its the same old story, be sensible, drive to the conditions and you would be fine.

Heres a link to a vid showing another family doing the Gibb, towing an Expanda ... thats a caravan.

Gibb river road 2011 - Landcruiser 76 series towing a Jayco Expanda acroos the Gibb River road

Offline Windies

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I do like Kimberley Kampers for their set up and kitchen. I like Chinese knock offs for the price. The problem is getting 2 kids into the hard floor area as the stretcher beds are to long for the available space. Does anyone know if you can get bunk stretchers beds shorter or in different lengths.

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Oztrail-Blue-Bunks-Single.aspx?pid=214554&menuFrom=571566#Cross

Hope the link works but it just your avarage stretcher bed from BCF.

If I could get a smaller/Kids version then I might be back to the hard floors setups.

Thanks

Offline staghornflat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
Use self inflating mattresses instead of stretcher beds. We have a hard floor and have done multiple extended trips with two kids on the hard floor. We just stand the mattresses up on there side against the wall through the day.
Scott
2017 200 Cruiser
2010 KK limited edition

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »
I would go the Aussie Swag Ultra D. I'm just about to drive up to Sydney and do a final check before buying. After checking most of them out, nothing compared in IMHO.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=koxh_9eTLuo

http://m.youtube.com/user/aussieswag2

I agree that Aussie Swags are a great CT but to say nothing compares is a bit OTT. IMHO ;D

Offline Windies

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 07:45:23 PM »
Thanks for the replays and thoughts, but I am thinking if we drive to the conditions and take it easy as we won't be in a rush, we should be all right in a Jayco. We are not doing anything to hard and rough and when we need too we can always leave it behind for a side trip.

Thanks

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
Not sure about the Jayco but I can vouch for the Goldstream, my Storm has been through the Gibb and many of the unsealed outback roads with no issues.  As you mentioned its all about the way you drive on those roads.

Trevor
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van