Author Topic: Firewood storage - What do you do?  (Read 11369 times)

Offline Forest

• Swag User
Firewood storage - What do you do?
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »
Thought I was being clever as I scored some untreated lengths of timber, dutifully cut it up into campfire lengths and stored in charf type bags (Polywoven) ready to grab and go for next camping trip.  ;D

The plan fell over when the bags quickly deteriated, UV got to them I guess?  ??? :-[

Are they other types that do not fall apart (stabilised) or do the swaggers have a better idea?

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Firewood storage - What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:54:56 AM »
l have found the best place to have fire wood is in a pit surrounded by rocks , then a bigger circle of chair filled with Swaggers with 1 hand filled with a beverage   :cheers:   :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline kiva

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »
I use a canvas bag from Drifta - http://www.drifta.com.au/canvas-fire-wood-bag/

LandCruiser GXL 105 Series. Complete Campsite Exodus 14.

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:58:23 AM »
I used to carry the wood in the tub, but got sick of that, I bought a canvas bag that I carry firewood in, it can hold quite a bit. I have a little more room in the tub now, because the bag can go on the roof rack of the camper and I don't have to worry about it getting wet.

Offline Meltdown

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
I use an old milk-crate or two, of course taking a chainsaw can be an option also.

scarps

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:07:33 AM »
I used old converted Jerry cans that can stack on the roof or the JC holders on the CT, cut the side out with an angle grinder, screw on some hinges and a catch.

Keep one filled with a mix of kindling and medium timber, the other with either coal briquettes or redgum splits.
Usually enough to get fire going first night, then collect more wherever we're camping.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:27:54 AM by scarps »

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »
Made a caged section on one part of my CT.

Sent from my Ring-a-ding-a-ling
Don't complain! It could be worse, you could be six foot under or a brick of ashes!!
Our camper Barry - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31963.0

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »
Made a caged section on one part of my CT.

Still one of the favourite mods I've seen  :cup:
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
Not too different to ozstickman in the location department, mine is kept in the jerry can holders on the side of the trailer. Also helps that it is cut to length and milled timber offcuts so it packs tightly to maximise space. If it was logs/branches it would be a different story.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »
Only camp where I can cut it, much easier.

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:06:32 PM »
A couple of big hessian bags from a stock feed supplier.  Don't go to one of the pets and garden supplies places as they want around $12 for the same bag you can buy at a proper stockfeed supplier at about $5

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
A couple of big hessian bags from a stock feed supplier.  Don't go to one of the pets and garden supplies places as they want around $12 for the same bag you can buy at a proper stockfeed supplier at about $5
Same, although i get the chook food pellets in hessian bags. Very good quality and double as fire wood carriers, door mats, dog mats, protective mats on van floor when excessively muddy, bag for annexe matting, dad puts his spuds in one.... hell id marry one if it was legal, theyre f'ing brilliant
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

scarps

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »
Same, although i get the chook food pellets in hessian bags. Very good quality and double as fire wood carriers, door mats, dog mats, protective mats on van floor when excessively muddy, bag for annexe matting, dad puts his spuds in one.... hell id marry one if it was legal, theyre f'ing brilliant
pmsl.......
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:29:49 PM by scarps »

Offline Forest

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »

Geezzz 2010banditsa you have sold me

Regards
Forest

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:48:48 PM »
I reckon someone on the forum had a cut down roof basket fixed the toolbox lid of the CT for carting firewood? Maybe D4D?

We have used a milk crate, seed/fertiliser bags, and even some of those reusable supermarket bags. When I am cutting up firewood for the heater, I throw all the smaller stuff or "Ozpig wood" into an old large plastic pot plant thingy.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »
Anyone thought of using bread creates? I sorced a couple of bread creates to use as a shower floor to stay out of the mud but I worked out that maybe they could be handy to carry wood and also might be able to placed on top of your camper and not do damage.  We have a mesh flip over boat rack so we don't need to place them on the tent cover.

I can get more bread creates if wanted.
Don't complain! It could be worse, you could be six foot under or a brick of ashes!!

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »

Pmsl.  :cup:

Maybe you could put your wife in one also ?
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »
Only camp where I can cut it, much easier.

I only camp next to someone that cuts it, much easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »

And a non slip surface for filleting slippery fish such as snapper or baldchin.

Offline fridayman

• Tent User
    • TRIP TALES
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
I've bolted chequer plate and tie down loops onto my toolbox lid. If I carry large pieces they just get strapped down onto the lid to be cut into smaller pieces at the campsite. For smaller pieces I put them in feed sacks and strap them onto the lid too.

scarps

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »

I reckon someone on the forum had a cut down roof basket fixed the toolbox lid of the CT for carting firewood? Maybe D4D?

We have used a milk crate, seed/fertiliser bags, and even some of those reusable supermarket bags. When I am cutting up firewood for the heater, I throw all the smaller stuff or "Ozpig wood" into an old large plastic pot plant thingy.
Like this?

I had to cut the back out of mine so the toolbox lid still opened fully.  D4D was able to retain the back of the rack.

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »
That would work well too Scarps.

I'm lucky because I can also strap a bit of wood on the top my camper too neck to the Kayaks.  I have a fold over boat rack with mesh.

scarps

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 03:31:04 PM »

That would work well too Scarps.

I'm lucky because I can also strap a bit of wood on the top my camper too neck to the Kayaks.  I have a fold over boat rack with mesh.
Depending on how much wood I carry, storing it on here can be a bit of a pain as I may have to remove it to be able to lift the toolbox lid, but mainly use this area for adhoc timber I may pick up on route, wet flooring/tarps etc or rubbish storage on the way home.

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »
Depending on how much wood I carry, storing it on here can be a bit of a pain as I may have to remove it to be able to lift the toolbox lid, but mainly use this area for adhoc timber I may pick up on route, wet flooring/tarps etc or rubbish storage on the way home.
Yes that could be a pain the rear. 

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
Here ya go. Filled the cage with some of the wood.