Author Topic: Mongrels who check others Crab Pots  (Read 17038 times)

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
Re: Mongrels who check others Crab Pots
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 01:41:21 PM »
He was a terrorist!! Serves him self right!!!!

Yeah yeah I know he was role playing

Sent from my Ring-a-ding-a-ling
Don't complain! It could be worse, you could be six foot under or a brick of ashes!!
Our camper Barry - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31963.0

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
I remember about 25 years ago checking my pots up here in Cairns. No crabs but a few cans of XXXX. I saw the funny side of it but I was still pissed off.

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »
I remember about 25 years ago checking my pots up here in Cairns. No crabs but a few cans of XXXX. I saw the funny side of it but I was still pissed off.

I hope the cans were full ones Muzza?
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
I hope the cans were full ones Muzza?
They were but I would have preferred the crabs. Cheeky buggers.

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Thought some of you might like to read this post from Ozzie Camper Trailers Facebook page.  I was trying to find the original for a read, but found this instead.  There is always two sides to every story........unfortunately some people speak louder!  Not sure who to believe, but his story is plausible not that you should ever touch someone else's pot EVER!  Happens over here with cray pots all the time too.  Divers are a big problem too.  Anyway have a read and make up your own mind.

Dave

Ozzie Camper Trailers

38 minutes ago

I would like to address an accusation made of me yesterday afternoon. Posts were made on multiple public pages yesterday accusing me of checking an individual’s crab pots and has made this very personal against myself, my family and my business. I have also received a number of personal threats as a result.

This blokes crab pot did move, by his own admission, several hundred metres down the creek until it stopped right beside us. There was a deep hole under us and I would say the rope was wrapped around the pot as it rolled along and the float was slowly be submerged under a very fast incoming tide. 3m in fact. The float was about 50mm below the surface.

I thought there was no way the owner was going to be able to retrieve this so using the gaff I pulled it up. There was a phone number on the float but as I had no reception I pulled the whole pot up. As it had a number of undersized crabs in it my thought was to empty it and leave it at the boat ramp.

At this point the owner appeared and would not entertain any explanation of what we had been intending, instead hurling a stream of abuse, and photographing us and our boat. After following us back to the boat ramp, this individual took photos of my business vehicle and took much delight in informing me that he would make sure that the business would really suffer after what he intended to do. I was trying to help him!

Under normal circumstances one would expect that if the pot owner did not accept my version of the event, he would report me to the fishing authorities for possible prosecution. Instead he posted on Facebook and other sites the so called ‘facts’ as he saw them along with the photographs.

What followed was an extraordinary output of hateful comments to the effect that I should be physically harmed, our boat destroyed, and more particularly that my business be boycotted. . Hiding behind pseudo identities, the respondents were as cowardly as they were misinformed.

So here is the problem. How do innocent people defend themselves against this kind of abuse of social media? I now realize that even with the best of intentions I was unwise to handle a pot that did not belong to me. I would be quite prepared to face a rational tribunal, plead my case, and face the consequences, but this modern system of communication does not permit such fairness
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
Heres an interesting one for ya. 

Just before the Olympics we run some counter terrorism training for bodyguards that looked after OS dignatories.  So the scenario goes you are visiting a building, there are four body guards and a VIP.  They get ambushed by 'terrorists' using simunitions (plastic projectiles in glock 19's - they hurt like hell) and the VIP gets rushed out of the room by two of the guards.

One guard gets shot and is down injured and the other engages with the two terrorists who then surrender and lay on the ground.  The guard stands over them and then....

Shots are heard outside and the the two guards scream contact and help.  The guard on his own hears this and has to decide what to do.  He is yet to cuff the terrorists or search them. 

So he shoots them both in the back to 'disable' them and runs off to help his mates.

He gets outside and its all over with the other terrorists down and the scenario ends.  One of the two terrorists he shot in the back comes running out and a full on punch up ensures over him getting shot in the back point blank with an egg sized lump near his spine - that was funny.

Anyways.  Justified or not to shoot them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sent you a pm mate, dont want to hijack the thread. Happy to post the answer in the thread if there is enough interest.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »
Having been "wrongly accused" a few years ago of sexual harassment claim, if what the above says is correct, it maybe should be deleted.

My case went to a tribunal that I won hands down, (so to speak  :D) and the other parties legal rep even said to me later, he was taken in by her lies.

Its no fun being tarred and feathered and if you're innocent, its even worse.

Just my 2 cents worth...
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 02:50:43 PM »
his story is plausible..

but as most fisherman know touching another fisherman's pot is just a no no.. What he should have done is just put the pot back in the water and left the crabs in the pot, taking the crabs out is a bit sus and the guy who posted it on stalk book reckons he was measuring the crabs?

any way I don't think he will make the same mistake as to touch another mans pot again weather he was trying to do the right thing or not..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
Yeah, i'm hearing ya....

In this case, if he's correct in what he said he was doing, then I think, (IMO) you should maybe cut him some slack.

We have a lot of drama's here too with pots etc, but most of the idiots will just cut them open, pillage and go.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:18:57 PM by Jeepers Creepers »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
Before anyone boycotts Ozzie Campers, from the FB post it's not the person who owns Ozzie in T/ville in the photos. It maybe his Cruiser but that's it.
No affiliation with the person, I just know what he looks like.
AND I also don't agree with the practice of pot raiding.
Regards
Angus.
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »
Anyone got a link to the original Facebook post?
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
Gees I hope this supposed camper trailer business dude come crab pot thief is not the same bloke who makes Mirage RV Campers??????  :o
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline scubasteve

• Swag User
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »
One thing you don't do is touch another person's crab pot's . If it don't have your name on it , leave it alone.I would rather have my pots float away on a big tide (which can happen at the creek they were in ) , than come across some  one claiming they were saving them with the crabs on the bottom of their boat being let out ???.If your mad enough to put the pots in your boat , don't pull any crabs out , no matter what. Crab pots aren't that dear to buy and I factor in loosing a few every now and again, and like I said before , that creek can get a big run thru it and take them away (Been there done that). And if the person using that business vehicle is not the owner , he sure as hell has put the owner thru hell for F all.
Cheers 

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 07:50:42 PM »
One thing you don't do is touch another person's crab pot's . If it don't have your name on it , leave it alone.I would rather have my pots float away on a big tide (which can happen at the creek they were in ) , than come across some  one claiming they were saving them with the crabs on the bottom of their boat being let out ???.If your mad enough to put the pots in your boat , don't pull any crabs out , no matter what. Crab pots aren't that dear to buy and I factor in loosing a few every now and again, and like I said before , that creek can get a big run thru it and take them away (Been there done that). And if the person using that business vehicle is not the owner , he sure as hell has put the owner thru hell for F all.
Cheers

Yeah I'll say, not sure why anyone would want to touch someone else's crabs anyway.  ;D ;D

Serious note. It is just plain theft and a very low act
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
sent you a pm mate, dont want to hijack the thread. Happy to post the answer in the thread if there is enough interest.

Not justified?
His primary mission is to protect the VIP. He has to rush out and assist with evac to a safe location.

Back OT, the story sounds more than plausible, but could be bs too.
It's likely the guy who owns the pots has had this happen many times and flew off the handle upon seeing his pot in someone else's hands. Totally understand this, as I have had pots pulled and would be going bananas if I caught someone doing the same. I also wouldn't be listening to excuses put forward.
All fisherman generally know, or should know, that touching anyone else's pots is just not done. Even to 'help'. You just don't do it.
But maybe cooler heads could have prevailed by reporting him and letting the authorities sort out the truth...
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
Not justified. The two terrorists on the ground are not a threat whilst they remain in the ground (which they did). Shooting to incapacitate is unlawful, you can only ever shoot to stop an imminent threat

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »
I remember a well known and respected fishing guide and bar crossing trainer being fined for pulling up spanner crab pots/traps.

In his case the pots were left in the main channel of South Passage Bar which can be tricky enough territory and he moved them to create a safe passage for boats.
Result, a hefty fine.

Never pull up a fishing apparatus unless it is your own.

No ifs or buts.

I would have reported him and let the inspectors deal with it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:02:47 PM by Ynot »
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
Having been "wrongly accused" a few years ago of sexual harassment claim, if what the above says is correct, it maybe should be deleted.

My case went to a tribunal that I won hands down, (so to speak  :D) and the other parties legal rep even said to me later, he was taken in by her lies.

Its no fun being tarred and feathered and if you're innocent, its even worse.

Just my 2 cents worth...

X2. My best mate was put through a similar experience about 15 years ago. Not fun
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »
Heres an interesting one for ya. 
Anyways.  Justified or not to shoot them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IMO
Yes
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
Maybe we could get those plastic guns for deterring share farmers

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »
I remember a well known and respected fishing guide and bar crossing trainer being fined for pulling up spanner crab pots/traps.

In his case the pots were left in the main channel of South Passage Bar which can be tricky enough territory and he moved them to create a safe passage for boats.
Result, a hefty fine.

Never pull up a fishing apparatus unless it is your own.

No ifs or buts.

I would have reported him and let the inspectors deal with it though.

He's a top bloke. I did that bar crossing course, and it's a dodgy bar to cross.
You wouldn't want to get your prop in a tangle and stall. People die crossing that bar.

Pot owner must have seen him and reported.
You would think common sense would prevail...
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »
Don't know much about crab pots but we have the same issue in Tas with craypots. There is no excuse for lifting someone else's gear even though the buoys may look alike most ropes are different. Still I always circle the gear to get a look at the pot number before touching it. Just don't need the hassle of old mate coming around the corner and getting all flustered over a mix up, yes they do happen.

A few years back I had a good friend get accused of something he didn't do and it was before the social media days but it got to a point he wouldn't go out in public. Long story short, he is no longer with us. Social media gets spread about the globe in minutes so I would be very careful before posting my thoughts until I had sorted out exactly what transpired.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 07:21:44 AM »
Well I am guilty.  >:D  I have lifted a grab pot that was not one of mine....   I was heading out into the Sandy Straits (between mainland and Fraser Is) when I committed the offence.   But my reason was that there was a turtle stuck in the pot.  Unfortunately the turtle was dead and it obviously would have really suffered. Not sure what happened but the pot (steel) was damaged and the turtle got stuck trying to get the bait.  And while I was lifting the pot I wondered if the owner was watching and would have thought that I was stealing his or her grabs.   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Online jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 07:28:27 AM »
On the ABC radio I heard a Queensland fisheries office explain it is Not legal to lift or remove some one else’s pot, for any reason, even abandoned pots.
If you see a abandoned pot you are required to notify fisheries and they will remove it.
He was then asked how long it would take to remove it and there was no set answer, but he stated we are not allowed to touch or remove said pot.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 09:54:53 AM »
" This blokes crab pot did move, by his own admission, several hundred metres down the creek until it stopped right beside us. There was a deep hole under us and I would say the rope was wrapped around the pot as it rolled along and the float was slowly be submerged under a very fast incoming tide. 3m in fact. The float was about 50mm below the surface.

I thought there was no way the owner was going to be able to retrieve this so using the gaff I pulled it up. There was a phone number on the float but as I had no reception I pulled the whole pot up. As it had a number of undersized crabs in it my thought was to empty it and leave it at the boat ramp."

If this was said in court I think the prosecution would probably say something along the lines of;

"I have difficulty accepting the veracity of your claims"   :D
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367