Author Topic: Moreton....towing CT across middle rd  (Read 2162 times)

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Moreton....towing CT across middle rd
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
i'm heading over for two weeks and really want to take the CT........its the week before easter and the week after easter........

$250 for the trailer I can handle for two weeks, which means I will have all my creature comforts

CT weights around 1200kg, I will leave the tank empty

tyres around 18psi, four maxtrax, PTO winch with 75m of rope.....just need to ask somebody to anchor me if required

your thoughts?

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Moreton....towing CT across middle rd
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
It sounds like your already well equipped and if you have towed in sand before and comfortable doing so, then it’s defiantly doable.  If we get some rain just before you go, then it should be a piece of cake.

Also with 75m of winch rope I’m sure you will find a tree if it came to that.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
It sounds like your already well equipped and if you have towed in sand before and comfortable doing so, then it’s defiantly doable.  If we get some rain just before you go, then it should be a piece of cake.

Also with 75m of winch rope I’m sure you will find a tree if it came to that.

I have only towed once on sand....double island point

my main concern is getting off the beach on the eastern side

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »
What type of CT is it?  There are some tight spots where a jayco-type CT will only just fit or may scrape the sides depending on track conditions.

As long as you time your departure to leave at low tide you should be able to get off the eastern beach with a runup.  A year back I struggled to get off the beach as it was nearing high tide and I had no straight runup ... had to try to turn to the exit which is obviously difficult.  I got off ok after dropping pressures to about 12 psi.   

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:15:42 PM »
I found your trailer in another post.  Should be no problem with that ... although I'm surprised it is that heavy.

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
Moreton....towing CT across middle rd
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »
We've done this a few times and its not difficult.
The track is a little rough and narrow in a few spots, but with your tyre pressures lowered and responsible driving you'll be right.
Just make sure you have the low tide on your arrival on the island, makes it a lot easier. Last time we camped at Blue Lagoon  the entrance to middle rd from the eastern beach was too step and soft to get up with the camper so we got to the western beach via Blue Lagoon rd and Bulwer rd. That was a nice scenic comfortable drive. But again watch the tides if you plan to go via Bulwer from the eastern beach to the western beach.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:21:07 PM by Campa »

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »
yeah thanks guys........

I don't know where the weight comes from but I have a weigh bridge here at work. I always planned it to be under 1000kg

anyways i'm going to give it a crack

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
Also remember if you know your not going to get through, then stop pushing as wheel spin is your enemy as all you end up doing is digging yourself in. Best thing is to stop, reverse back and take the same line again. Also pick your strongest gear and stay in that gear. All cars are different, but for me first high works well for my situation.

At Xmas heading to camp along Main Beach at Straddie I failed to get up the cutting on my first 2 attempts with 19/20 psi in all tyres. On my third attempt I put the tyres down to 14/15 and got up without a care in the world. Once at camp I just pumped them up to 19/20 again and drove around on that for the rest of the week.

So if you concerned, dropping your tyre pressure down to 14/15 won’t hurt to and from the barge. Last year at Ngkala rocks on Fraser Island we had to put our tyres down to 12 psi to get through. You just have to make sure you drive sensibly with tyre pressure that low.