Author Topic: Canberra to Darwin  (Read 1495 times)

Offline redrocker

• Swag User
  • Wanting to see Oz in a soft floor camper
Canberra to Darwin
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »
Hi Swaggers
Need some info I want to do a trip from Canberra to Darwin through Mildrua with the camper But the wife is thinking it is unsafe she use to do this trip with her father 25 yrs ago its in her head with the camper in canvas we will have it broken in to all the time and or slashed but I'm trying to tell her she is silly any help on this matter would be helpful to see if I can put her mind to ease and I can organize our trip

Craig Redrocker
Redrock Extream offroad soft floor
 04  Nissan Pathfinder Ti

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Canberra to Darwin
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
Hi Redrocker
Having never travelled this road I cannot comment on that.  If I was however doing such a trip, and my wife was not coping with the thought, I would remind her that there will be no mail (hence no bills), no housework (that would not work in my case as I do most of the housework, I love doing it), the peace and quiet of travelling, sunsets away from a town, and a wonderful chance to reflect on happy memories from previous trips.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
I have just done the trip and had a great time with no problems.  I have a Goldstream with canvas all the way around and it was great.  Did some free camping up the Stuart Hwy and there is always a number of other vans (people unknown) and campers stopping for the night, mostly we would get together for a drink and yarn and many times we would cross paths up the track and develop friendships.  A lot of the stories you hear about are fabrications and have become unfounded legends overtime so just get out there and have a good time.

When are you thinking of going?

Trevor

Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
Craig,

Ask your wife if you look the same as you did 25 years ago.  And if you're game, ask her does she.

A lot can change in 25 years, and I've never had problems along that route.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline redrocker

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
Ihave just done the trip and had a great time with no problems. I have a Goldstream with canvas all the way aroundand it was great. Did some free camping up the Stuart Hwy andthere is always a number of other vans (people unknown) and campers stopping for the night, mostly we would get together for a drink andyarn and many times we would cross paths up the track and develop friendships. A lot of the stories you hear about are fabrications and have become unfounded legends overtime so just get out there and have agood time.

When are you thinking of going?

Trevor

Hi Trevor
thanks for the pm I will give you a ring for a chat
at this stage looking at xmas/ newyear we have a friend not long moved to Alice so it would be a good chance to catch up with him

Craig
 04  Nissan Pathfinder Ti

Offline redrocker

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
Sorry I forgot to add we will be draging the two kids with us a 15 and a 12 year olds with us

Craig
 04  Nissan Pathfinder Ti