Author Topic: Washing machines (at home)  (Read 13761 times)

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
Washing machines (at home)
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
I know it's a camping forum and this is my second not very camping question (at least the ereader could come camping) anyways our washing machine at home is on it's last legs and I will be looking at replacing it.  I have heard great things about the LG front loader and am leaning towards this path as they are meant to be more water efficient and I have been told wash better.  Can anyone shed any light on this pro's and con's of brands and front v's top I know everyone will like certain things about theirs.  I do not often add to the wash after it has started and I think front loader so it is easier to put the dryer above it which will get a cupboard out of the laundry.

Thanks

Offline dav

• Tent User
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
We went from a top loader to a front load last year and I wish we got one sooner. There a lot quieter and clean better less room as you can put the dryer on top or build in as we did. The one we got was the Samsung 10kg Eco bubble. Masters were the cheapest.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
Re: Washing machines (at home)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
I know for sure a front loader uses less water and tends not to wreck your clothes. Putting the horse blanket in a front loader is not a good idea, LOL. We have a Maytag and nothing but praise for it. I would probably go the same again. Its probably 8 years old. Does 2-3 washes a week. I think my neighbour has an LG and are happy with it. My tuppence worth.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Kris

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:56 PM »
Beko 8kg front loader- went to that from a F&P 7.5kg top loader.  Love it.  So quiet, until the spin which tends to shake my weatherboard house a little at 1600rpm!  Uses next to no powder, or power- 13c a load.  Can fit heaps in, just gotta stuff it in and washing comes out clean.  Oh, and it was cheap- new european brand opening up it's aussie market, so offering cheap.  Got mine from a Bi-Rite store.

Have fun deciding.  Kris.
2006 Hilux SR towing 1999 Kimberley Kamper

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »
Had a LG front loader for eight years.  Three service calls under extended warranty.  Cabinet rusted like you wouldn't believe.  Bought a Bosch front loader three years ago and couldn't be happier.  Would never, ever go back to a top loader.

KB

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:33:07 PM »
I know for sure a front loader uses less water and tends not to wreck your clothes. Putting the horse blanket in a front loader is not a good idea, LOL. We have a Maytag and nothing but praise for it. I would probably go the same again. Its probably 8 years old. Does 2-3 washes a week. I think my neighbour has an LG and are happy with it. My tuppence worth.

My horses get their own wooly winter coats so no worries of the horse blanket ending up in it.

Thanks to all who have replied so far sounds like people are happy they changed to a front loader.

Had a LG front loader for eight years.  Three service calls under extended warranty.  Cabinet rusted like you wouldn't believe.  Bought a Bosch front loader three years ago and couldn't be happier.  Would never, ever go back to a top loader.

KB

KB I wonder if they have rectified this in newer models friends of ours have had theirs for I guess about 2 years and I don't think they have had trouble, this is why I started the thread though as I don't know enough about the brands myself I do google search but you can only find so much where as on here I get real life people answers.  We are on tank water here so water savings in washes is a big plus for me.

Offline Jjw1234

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »
If you can afford it. Go Miele front loader. Ours gets a ridiculous amount of use with 4 boys and hasn't missed a beat in 7 years. It costs more in the beginning but after a whirlpool exp disaster years ago I wanted a name I could trust. Miele has definitely been that.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
Meile gets my vote as well. Even washes dirty recovery geat when the boss is out>:D

GG

KingBilly

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have the latest Choice washing machine test at home.  Will scan it and PM you tonight.

KB

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have the latest Choice washing machine test at home.  Will scan it and PM you tonight.

KB

Thanks heaps KB that would be great after putting towels the wool underlay, doona cover, blanket and shortly sheets through multiple loads this morning I am honestly surprised this one is still going but it hasn't been washing well for a while now which isn't helped by the fact we have dogs inside and they leave there hair everywhere.

Offline robsjack

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
Have had several frontloaders now. They use alot less water, the wife says they wash better but the do take alot longer to complete a wash cycle.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »
I needed to buy a new machine a couple of years back I contacted some one I know in the business as to what brand and the prices I can knock them down to and I was told to steer clear of LG.... I don't like front end loaders as they look like tumble driers and if I one day had the chores of washing clothes i know i would put the clothes in the wrong machine so stuck to a top loaded and  f&p as what was recomended
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »
i have got a kleenmaid/speedqueen washer(American made i believe) and have it for about 23years,last week i had to have its first service call cause it broke the belts that make it spin
The new models are essentially the same except for cosmetics,which to me says its near bulletproof.
When it stopped i considered buying another cheaper brand,front loader,top loader...but got it fixed for $250.
So in 23 years it has cost me $250 in repairs....show me a new washer LG,Westinhouse,Fisher & Paykal,that will last that long!!
http://www.speedqueensales.com.au
Im not a rep or affiliated in any way with them.just a very very satisfied customer
 :cheers:

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 02:10:23 PM »
We will be in the market for our third one soon, LG was painfully slow to do a wash
cycle and also rusted badly, the present one is a Technika. Was a cheapie and has been very well used in the last 6 years doing at least 1 mostly 2 loads every day, now looking for something that will replace it as it's got a small leak and goes out of balance badly sometime when spinning. But still working. lol     
Have had several frontloaders now. They use alot less water, the wife says they wash better but the do take alot longer to complete a wash cycle.
If doing a small load there's nothing more frustrating than waiting 90mins, so
look for one with a quick wash or a sort cycle mode or similar.

KB
Please don't be shy with the test results. hehe
I would also be interested in reading the results if you'd be kind enough too share KB.

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
We are in the same boat & currently looking at a new washing machine. We have decided to get a front loader but still trying to work out which one.

From our research so far I can tell you that it comes down to how much you want to spend. The German built machines (Miele, Siemens, Bosch 8kg & above models) are supposed to be better built than most other machines but at the same time your are looking at $1400 plus appox. Bosch 7.5kg or less models are either built in Thailand or China. Bosch are currently discontinuing their current machines & replacing them with new models, so prices on the new models will probably be more expensive than the run-outs

I think all machines with the exception of Siemens (5 years) have a 2 year warranty period - Samsung do have a 11 year warranty on the motor on some of their machines.

Like Mrs Smith said, watch the length of the cycle as some can be very long
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »
i have got a kleenmaid/speedqueen washer(American made i believe) and have it for about 23years,last week i had to have its first service call cause it broke the belts that make it spin
The new models are essentially the same except for cosmetics,which to me says its near bulletproof.
When it stopped i considered buying another cheaper brand,front loader,top loader...but got it fixed for $250.
So in 23 years it has cost me $250 in repairs....show me a new washer LG,Westinhouse,Fisher & Paykal,that will last that long!!
Im not a rep or affiliated in any way with them.just a very very satisfied customer

yep had one for 20+ years and gave it away for a newer quitter Simpson. in 6 yrs its been replaced once and had 5 service calls. soon as I pull my finger out I will be getting another Speedqueen.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »
Here's the Choice article for those that are interested
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:13:24 PM by Pete_R »
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
yep had one for 20+ years and gave it away for a newer quitter Simpson. in 6 yrs its been replaced once and had 5 service calls. soon as I pull my finger out I will be getting another Speedqueen.
Maybe they arnt pretty enuff and dont have all the fancy buttons and crap,but for my money,i would get another one tomorrow :cup: :cup:

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »
Here's the Choice article for those that are interested
Thanks for that.
Seems the Samsung is there weapon of choice.

Maybe they arnt pretty enuff and dont have all the fancy buttons and crap,but for my money,i would get another one tomorrow :cup: :cup:
How much would someone expect to pay for a speedqueen FTSAO ? It's like some sort of secret
society trying to find a local melbourne price advertised, seems very little
in the way of advertised price's online or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots. haha   

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
we have a Speedqueen washing machine also, my brother fixes washing machines for a living and that's what he got, so that's what we got also. ours is a commercial size front load washing machine, not cheap to buy (well it was for us relatively speaking thanks to my brother and his contacts at work), but well worth the coin in the long run i reckon. my brother reckons todays household washing machines are nothing like they used to be, plastic cogs where they used to be metal, etc, etc....i know he's not a fan of LG in anyway. will likely see him tonight, if i can remember i'll see what he reccomends or atleast says to stay away from...lol
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline elkay

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Replaced my top loader this weekend after 27 years - got my money's worth.  Did the research and bought another
top loader with an agitator. Didnt have one in the old machine but for first time in 27 years now have tangle free
clothes out of the machine.

Call me old fashioned but can't see how less water cleans clothes.  Full loads take way too long up to 2 hours just to wash.

So we bought a Simpson 6 kg top load and are thrilled with it.

Good luck with your choice.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
Have had LG for a few years and happy enough with it.  Might need to look for rust.
Every now and then it wanders across the floor and needs a slight adjust on the feet.
Front loaders take MUCH longer than top loaders
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »
I know it's a camping forum and this is my second not very camping question (at least the ereader could come camping) anyways our washing machine at home is on it's last legs and I will be looking at replacing it.  I have heard great things about the LG front loader and am leaning towards this path as they are meant to be more water efficient and I have been told wash better.  Can anyone shed any light on this pro's and con's of brands and front v's top I know everyone will like certain things about theirs.  I do not often add to the wash after it has started and I think front loader so it is easier to put the dryer above it which will get a cupboard out of the laundry.

Thanks

Front loaders are the ducks guts.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
We purchased a Lg Front loader 6yrs ago & we will never have another LG product for as long as my bum points south. It was a $1200 machine at the time & for the warranty period it was a good machine except for moving around a bit on the spin cycle. The walking around got prgressively worse, repardless of how much you levelled the machine. It has now smashed the thread out of the adjusters & can't be levelled without packing it up with timber. We now can't spin it any faster than 400 rpm which is next to useless. Wifey is so disheartened with it she won't buy another front loader. I would have another one, but in a euro brand I think.
Cheers, Mike.

2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Benji

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
We've recently replaced our washing machine.  After much research, and knowing the longest warranty we could get to cover parts and labour or replacement was 5 years, we bought a Samsung 7.5 kg front loader and are very happy with it.  First front loader we've had.  Shortest cycle is 15 minutes.  Longest is 2 hours and lots of options in between.  We got a good price including extended warranty (replacement rather than repair).  If it breaks after the warranty runs out we are unlikely to have it repaired but will replace it.   We will have gotten our money's worth from it by then.

Lifestyle Extenda Elite