Author Topic: Advice on towing capability with a CT or Caravan for a 1995 80 Series DX  (Read 2374 times)

Offline hylander75

• Learning the Ropes
Hi we are new to this forum. We are researching to purchase in the near future a CT or camper van. We can't afford to upgrade to a newer 4WD  & a CT/Campervan. Has anyone got any recommendations/experience on what type of CT/ Campervan we can legally tow as the ball weight is not too high (113kg).

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Welcome to the forum, a little more info may help. Are you a family, a grey nomad, someone that likes all the bells and whistles and where will you be headed. A standard soft floor without a huge box on the front will not pose a problem but a hard floor with a coffin on the front for all the gadgets in the world will have you doing wheel stands at every set of traffic lights.

GG

Offline hylander75

• Learning the Ropes
Advice on towing capability with a CT or Caravan for a 1995 80 Series DX
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:40:17 PM »
Thanks GG for your reply. We are a family of 3 with a toddler plus 2 dogs. We really really like the Trackabout. We want to go here there & everywhere. Quick set up is a must & prefer a soft floor.

Offline Muckinhell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2014 Ecomate traveller forward fold.
found this on another forum with a search on same topic to querry my 97 tow weight.

ALL 80 SERIES Landcruisers pre 10th month 1996, ball weight, 250kgs-----, post 10th month 1996 ball weight 350kg.

bit of other infor in there worth a read as well.

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1823
2005 HDJ100r Sahara
Better to look at it, than for it!

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Cant really go wrong with any of the major players, Keep an eye out on the classifieds as there are some great bargains to be had at the moment. I would suggest a soft floor, not the fastest set ups but what's the rush. I have a soft floor Tambo and have no problems with it at all, depending on where you are taking it, canvas quality can be a concern. Just spent the weekend away in a non stop rain event and did not have a leak.

Good luck with the search, make up a list of your wants and needs and see what ones tick the most boxes. Ask away on the forum as we all like spending others hard earned  >:D

GG

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
I used to have an 80 series std diesel. Done heaps of towing with it. 2.5 t boat 2 t horse float. You wont have any dramas with any camper trailer on the market.

As mentioned above, the tow rating changed in 96 from 2500kgs to 3500kgs with no change to the vehicle at all. So even though yours will only be rated to 2500 it has plenty of reserve.

I will probably get flamed for this, but it would be a lot safer to tow heavy weights with your truck than any of the new breed of 'mid weight" dual cabs on the market!

Very good truck. Just the more you tow, the longer it will take to get there! They are a slow old bus, with the 1HZ. But they will go forever.

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
The 80S is more than capable of towing a CT or caravan.  Unfortunately the 96KW 1HZ engine is a bit of a slug going up the hills.  I have the 1HZ and it tows my CT along the highway at 100km/h with out problem. Going up hills is a different story.

Offline hylander75

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
Thanks guys for your reply's. It has put both our minds at ease. If we have any other questions we will be sure to ask. Thanks again.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Going up hills is a different story.

At least you can sleep up the hills. There is always an upside  :cup:
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline hylander75

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »
found this on another forum with a search on same topic to querry my 97 tow weight.

ALL 80 SERIES Landcruisers pre 10th month 1996, ball weight, 250kgs-----, post 10th month 1996 ball weight 350kg.

bit of other infor in there worth a read as well.

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1823
Thanks for that link it helped us out a lot.