Author Topic: Off Road Camper Trailer V Jayco  (Read 24865 times)

Offline mr_hilux10

• Tent User
Re: Off Road Camper Trailer V Jayco
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »
ComPletly agree with fly fisher...it comes down to the driver and how you navigate the obstacles

Offline davnkel

• Swag User
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »
I was more than happy with our Tambo and it served its purpose really well. It was used off road mainly through the high country on some pretty rough roads but we didn't go dragging it up goat tracks and there was no where we took it that people weren't taking Jaycos/Goldstreams.

Now that we've got a young fella we found there wasn't enough room in the Tambo for all of us plus the dog and after much discussion and going through the pros and cons we've gone and bought ourselves a Outback Dove, the decision to go a Jayco over another CT came down to a few things, but the main one was getting a bigger tent area meant needing more level ground to set up on. Also the wife wants to do more touring rather than 4wding, so easy setup for overnighters was a biggy, we've got the annexe for longer stays if we need more room, and it can still get to places the soft roaders can't.

I used to be of the opinion that CT's were the only way to go, and I'd heard all the horror stories about Jaycos, then I spoke to people who actually owned Jaycos about where they had taken them and what problems, if any, they had and the responses I got back was a few niggling issues that Jayco were happy to fix and a little bit of dust ingress, which is fixable. But they had all taken them to places I thought would only be accessible by CT's without any major damage.
It's not a caravan, it's a wind up camper trailer!

Offline sanz

• Swag User
    • Getting Lost in Australia
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »
Hi Sanz,

I was just curios to where you were thinking you could take a offroad camper but not a jayço outback? We were going through the same questions / concerns as you (and many others have) when trying to decide on a camper trailer and couldn't really name that many places were you might take a strong off road camper trailer but not a Jayco. My parents in law just bought an oddysey and it weighs 1200 kg losded up so not that much lighter then a jayco c/t. Yes it is a fair bit narrower. I think the Jayco chassis and suspension is very well built and could handle the off road as much as most c/t out there.

So it got me thinking again where are these people talking about when they say they would take there c/t there but wouldn't take a Jayco and what is it based on? Interior strength? Chassis strength? Weight? Height? Width?

Love to hear your thoughts

Cheers

Hi Fly Fisher,

We were actually thinking the same things ... where would we be going that we couldn't take a Jayco or similar?

As we have not travelled before, we actually don't know where we'll want or need to go! Don't want to get to an awesome spot and go "ahh well pity we can't take the van down the track and stay the week ... Bugger hey".

And if judging by some of the fantastic spots we go regularly on weekends, we'll need something smallish, light and able to handle hard knocks. All the Jaycos we've seen look great but seem a little wide for some of the tracks we find ourselves on. Last thing we'd want is to put a branch or rock through the side and potentially not be able to repair easily.

Other than that we've looked at 14 offroad spec windups and all have had some pretty major issues (bent uprights that wind up the roof, cracks to the chassis etc, water damage, gaping holes where the canvas meets the body) ... And that was in the 15k to 30k price bracket! Sure some owners take care of their vans but not most of the ones we've seen so far have been trashed.

I guess we'll see what happens after a while on the road ... can always change if we find we're not going where a Jayco can't :-)

Still got a lot to learn about this and am finding this forum a wealth of information and advice. Thanks to all who help us newbies out.

Sanz
09 3L TD Patrol + EasyCamper.

Getting Lost in Australia
http://www.facebook.com/GettingLostAU

Offline Fly Fisher

• Swag User
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 01:40:55 PM »
Sanz,

Your certainly right about the plethora of information on this forum.

Im not sure of the brand campers you were looking at between 15-30k but I don't blame you for not being impressed. I certainly wouldn't be paying up near 30k for a van with a cracked chassis or gaping holes in tne canvas considering you can buy a brand new jayco for less then 30k. We have just orderd our outback dove for 27k with a heap of extras and 12 months warranty.