Author Topic: Off Road Camper Trailer V Jayco  (Read 24864 times)

Offline jamesjfa

• Swag User
Off Road Camper Trailer V Jayco
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:47:35 AM »
Hi

I recently sold my Customline On-Road (12' Tent) and am now looking at a replacement. I like the idea of another Customline but this time an off-road with full awning and brakes etc. I thought the tent was spacious and comfortable (family of 5) for our needs.

My lovely wife has now come up with the idea and a reminder (even though I can't remember this) that now we should get a Jayco or something similar. I've said to her that these would be smaller to what we had and also more expensive than a CT.

Can I have other people's opinions? Especially from those who have owned both.

Cheers,
James

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Off Road Camper Trailer V Jayco
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
Sorry I haven't owned both, only the Jayco. You will have more undercover room with the Camper.
The Jayco suits our family of 4 better than a camper, but I do miss the extra space of camping with a tent and big tarp.(not the setup and packup though). We have added a stand alone gazebo for extra external space and find this handy as we can move it to where it is more beneficial.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:00:28 AM by GUEY »
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline jamesjfa

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
Thank you Guey

I explained that to my wife but she likes the "comfort" of the Jayco type.

Cheers,
James

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
We have the Goldstream similar idea to the Jayco I will go through our decision making process to give you some idea.

If it is purely a weekender then yes go a soft floor and you will be more than happy, we first hired a Jonnos for comparison and for the weekend trip of go, setup and not move for 3 days it was perfect. We then took the Jonnos on a 3 week trip to the red centre with the pradopoint group in 2009 and here is where we found some drawbacks.

1.With daily moving the set up and pack up was getting to be the same as a tent
2.We had some bad weather on the way home and spent 3 days locked in the camper and found it quite dark and not  very nice place to be
3.As the floor is sewn in we found it impossible to keep dirt and dust out
4.We were paranoid about ripping the floor when we had to bring the chairs and tables in and spend 3 days of playing cards inside

We had then planned on doing a half lap of OZ so the fact that we would spend several months living in this thing and we may even spend longer if we found work we liked the extra luxuries of the Jayco style of camper, especially the club lounge in the bad weather if you are sitting around in it. We have a kitchen inside and a BBQ outside so we take our pick depending on weather or mood.

I will admit that the jayco style does have some limitations mainly around its size and weight

1.Due to the width tight tracks are really hard
2.Due to the weight when loaded (around 1.3 to 1.5 tonne it would have to be very hard packed sand for me to tow it on sand with my Prado diesel (old 1kz motor)
3.Due to size when folded out and bed fly’s up you do need a decent size site to put it on ours for example fully out with bed fly’s is almost 17 foot long that is the length of a caravan
4.As you have a lid folded down and vents in door etc no matter what you do dust will still get in

Over all they can advertise em as off road as much as they like but in reality they are dirt road tourers mainly due to size and weight we took ours along half of the Oodnadatta and the Gibb river road to Elquestro but that is probably the limit I would go. I f I went a bit more hard core it would only be on tracks that I was familiar with.

The fact that we are pretty settled in Perth now we have decided to hold onto the Goldstream as it owes us no money and we love the extra luxury items (yes I am now a soft as miner) so we will now keep it for a while

I will however say that after 5 months of living in the Goldstream if we were to do that time again or longer we would seriously consider a caravan with shower toilet combo especially if you are both getting up and getting ready work each day
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline jamesjfa

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
Thank you. More food for thought. Most of it will be weekenders with the occasional week here and there.

Cheers,
James

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
I was told recently that no Jayco is rated for offroad = EG: kills your warranty..

Can someone with Jayco paperwork confirm this?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gadgetman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I wanna be a kid again.....
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »
We owned both and pretty much agree with the others.

In bad weather, the Jayco is the way to go as sitting in a dark tent does not do it for us.  Less space is not a bad thing if it stops everyone from taking more things they don't need.

You should also consider space at home as the Jayco takes up half the carport at our place.  Towing wise, the CT was much easier (didn't feel it on the Paj).

I also reckon the Jayco is much airier/cooler even in hot weather.  We had a solar reflective blanket on the CT but it wasn't as good.
Rob

2004 NP Pajero DiD,
2011 Swan Outback

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »
I was told recently that no Jayco is rated for offroad = EG: kills your warranty..

Can someone with Jayco paperwork confirm this?
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
Quote from: swannie
teh info
I knew you'd have it ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:49:10 PM »
Here's my take. If you compare a similarly priced camper with a Jayco (~$25-30K).

A walkway style camper gives an extra 2' of room inside the tent, plus several brands have excellent storage options, with drawers inside the walkway. This means no more bags; just pack the drawers and off you go. The walkway also serves as travel storage for things like bedding, prams, stuff, meaning your car doesn't have to be loaded. I believe it's pretty hard to load anything into a Jayco style unit without putting it up.

If you spend $25K or $40K on a Jayco you still have to climb over your wife to get in and out of bed. You don't with a walkway style camper.

Jayco's have the kitchen inside. Campers are at least out in the annex.

You can take the camper to that spot where you may not be able to take the Jayco.

Wet weather is no fun regardless of what you're camping in.

I believe there would be little difference in setup time, packup time between well engineered examples of both types.

Hire a pop top. See how many times you sit on the lounge, use the oven, cook dinner inside.

None of this is to suggest that the Jayco/Goldstream style units are not good. They are good, or they wouldn't be so popular. They clearly appeal to many of the ladies in our lives, which is an important consideration.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Memem284

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
Years ago we used to to go camping in an offroad Southern Cross camper trailer with 5 kids whose ages ranged from about 3-15. We always spent 2 weeks at SWR at Xmas time plus other trips at Easter etc. We had plenty of room but always commented that if we had to do regular pack ups etc, it would be a pain in the a*&%. Actually, the kids used to run a competition to see who could guess how many times their father would swear when setting up. Lots of sweating when setting up poles/ropes etc and a real effort for height challenged people like me.

New times, kids are older (youngest is 19), new partner (who doesn't swear). We have a 2011 Eagle OB and love it's quick set up and pack up. Admittedly, the kids no longer come camping with us so we have plenty of room for just the 2 of us and sometimes the dog. We also have a Fiamma awning for extra quick set ups etc.

FYI, ex still has the camper after approx 15 years and it's still going strong.

It really is horses for courses - what may suit you at one stage of life won't suit later......

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
I knew you'd have it ;)

I'm learning form you YODA  ;D
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline jamesjfa

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 04:14:23 PM »
I think a hire of one is the way to go to start off with. I don't have a brake controller on the Challenger, would one come with the hire do you know?

Cheers,
James

Offline Fly Fisher

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »
We originally owned a jayco style camper, much older and only a on road model. We sold it for a soft floor off camper trailer because we wanted to get off road more. And now we are selling the soft floor to get a jayco dove outback.

The things we don't like about our current set up are

if we are going away for just one or to nights and we don't set up the whole annexe, we are cooking, eating, washing up etc in the rain if it rains, with the mozzies and flies. As a bare minimum we need to set up the awning. Which is a pain in itself.

There is no cupboards or organisation to the cutlery and crockery, everything is out of plastic tubs.

There is no where to sit and eat, quite hard to sit at a table in camp chairs.

Have to climb a dodgy ladder to get into bed, quite hard after a few frothies

We find the soft floor part of the camper pretty much useless to sit in or do anything in, so once again we need to set the annexe up to have more useable space

I do like the hard floor campers and the features they offer but the storage is pretty crap, and IMO you need to spend upwards of $30K to make them comfortable enough for long and short stays and robust enough to handle all the tough outback stuff.

Father in law just bought a Australian off road camper (odyssey) but at the sum 60 odd grand!

I love the fact the we can rock up to a camp spot in a jayco and set it up and have everything in there we need for an overnight or a week long stay.  Fridge, oven, table, couch, sink, etc etc

And honestly I have done a fair bit of traveling (2 years around Australia) and haven't taken my off road camper trailer to that many places where a jayco outback couldn't get to with a bit of care.

Good luck with the decision

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:46:39 PM by Fly Fisher »

Offline seenthelight

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 05:10:01 PM »
Hi James
Easter was my ninth trip away since chrismas, what I find is if swmbo (sometimes) likes it you have no
problems at all going away camping, as soon as it becomes job (chore) to set up and pack up they start asking them self
"is this worth it".
The jayco eagle OB works well for us at this stage.
The only problem I can see is we have 2 kids (boy & girl) and it will not be long before we have to look at the sleeping arrangement.
As for off road if I get it where a holden or ford can not get I'm happy, and the last thing I would want off road is a trailer
hanging of the back of my car (thats why we have tent & swags)
Cheers
Geoff

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »
I think a hire of one is the way to go to start off with. I don't have a brake controller on the Challenger, would one come with the hire do you know?

Cheers,
James

James most hire companies use mechanical overide brakes on their hire models so no controller is nessisary
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline jamesjfa

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »
We originally owned a jayco style camper, much older and only a on road model. We sold it for a soft floor off camper trailer because we wanted to get off road more. And now we are selling the soft floor to get a jayco dove outback.

It is a Dove I was thinking about too. Obviously prices will vary from dealer to dealer but do you know what the RRP is on one of these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline jamesjfa

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
James most hire companies use mechanical overide brakes on their hire models so no controller is nessisary

Excellent that is good to know.

Offline jamesjfa

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »
Hi James
Easter was my ninth trip away since chrismas, what I find is if swmbo (sometimes) likes it you have no
problems at all going away camping, as soon as it becomes job (chore) to set up and pack up they start asking them self
"is this worth it".
The jayco eagle OB works well for us at this stage.
The only problem I can see is we have 2 kids (boy & girl) and it will not be long before we have to look at the sleeping arrangement.
As for off road if I get it where a holden or ford can not get I'm happy, and the last thing I would want off road is a trailer
hanging of the back of my car (thats why we have tent & swags)
Cheers
Geoff

Glad you are getting the use out of it.

Offline mr_hilux10

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
We currently own 2012 ob hawk and absolutely love it
We owned an esytrail soft floor and would never go back to the dark side
Apart from the constant leaking and taking 4 hrs to set the entire thing up we were over it
It it so much more appealing now to just hook up and hit the road
It now takes less than 1 hr to set up inc full annexe
I tow with a hilux with exhaust and chip and have taken it up through the bush, river xings etc with no probs....just beware that it is slightly longer and wider than box trailer type
Would consider upgrading rubber to 31s when time comes

Offline Fly Fisher

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 04:02:36 AM »
It is a Dove I was thinking about too. Obviously prices will vary from dealer to dealer but do you know what the RRP is on one of these?

RRP: $23,306 for the Dove outback model

We are getting roof mounted a/c
Independent suspension
Waeco fridge
Twin water tanks
Twin gas tanks
Extended drawbar
Water tank control panel
Wind up antenna
16" wheels

Best price so far is circa $27k

Then we will be adding bed flys, awning, do35 hitch, hot water and shower etc etc

Offline gadgetman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I wanna be a kid again.....
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
Are you putting solar on?
Rob

2004 NP Pajero DiD,
2011 Swan Outback

Offline Fly Fisher

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »
Are you putting solar on?

Yes, we are hoping they will leave the solar provision on the roof as we hear they are deleting that option when the weight of extras gets too close to the limits. 79 kg

That is why we are leaving off the awning and bed flys for now.

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »
Hi,

We have done the full circle on camper set ups.  Our journey over the last 20 years or so looks like this:

tent -> swags/trailer -> hire soft floor ->  05 O/B Eagle -> 11 O/B Swan -> 08 KK.

(still have the swags for beach or rough camping)

We don't camp with kids just a big blue heeler, so our situation is not the same as yours.  But the key considerations for us were:

* We like to tour. Which means the occasional stay of a week in one place, but usually move every 2-3 days. So quick set up / pack up was vital

* We cook and eat outside. Never used the kitchen in the Swan or Eagle. Might have boiled a kettle or heated soup but that was it.  So for every meal we had to go into the camper, gather all the cooking utensils, plates, food etc from the cupboards and take it outside to cook on portable camp stove, then take is all back inside to wash and pack away.

* We don't camp in caravan parks if we can help it.  Ruggedness of offroad capability was increasingly important for us.

* We live in WA, so must of our camping is in good but often windy weather.  We dont tend to camp if we know it is going to be really wet.  Most of the time, the weather is good / mild / stinking hot / windy

* Windy - in windy conditions, we hated the way the Jaycos would rattle and hum.  I would rarely sleep well as I would be lying in bed wondering when the whole thing would tip over or the corner upright poles bend or collapse.  Often we had to tie ropes from the corners of the roof to the ground.  For the record, it never tipped over, collapsed or bent.  However, I always felt vulnerable

* Roof storage - anything you put on the Jayco roof racks has to come off before you wind up the roof.  In the KK, whatever we leave on the roof/boat rack, just flips over and out of the way.

* General storage - all the extra stuff that you dont want to take in the car needs to be stored on the floor of the camper.  On long trips with a reasonable amount of gear, packing the Jayco every morning was like a jigsaw puzzle.  And you basically had to pack the floor and walk out backwards.  Once the roof is wound down, very hard to access anything in the camper.  When you arrive at destination, everything that is stored on the floor has to be moved.

* We actually found the set up time for Jaycos a bit tedious (better than a soft floor though), but The Driver is impatient and doesnt like wasting time on set up.  One great thing he did was bought a cordless/battery-powered drill fitted with a socket that matched the drop down legs.  Fastest and easiest way to put the legs up and down rather than winding the big handle.

* Since buying the KK (which was a huge decision for us given the cost) we have not looked back.  We havent used the full awning yet, just the Kwik Awning and some shade walls.  We invested in a good quality C-Gear floor mat - our best value purchase ever.

* We go camping to be outdoors. Sitting inside is not a consideration for us, unless the weather is cr@p and then we lie on the bed to read or we go 4wd'ing. If its cold and windy outside, we wear jackets, beanies, gloves and warm socks then light the fire.  We call this 'camping'.

There is no perfect solution for everyone.  Everything is a compromise.  The best advice I can give is go and hire a few different sorts a few times each.  I wish we had hired a Jayco a few times before we went down that path.  Hiring the soft floor taught us it wasnt for us.

Best of luck with your decision. You will work out what suits your family's needs best.

Stozz 1 & 2
 :cheers:

Offline meandclan

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »
RRP: $23,306 for the Dove outback model

We are getting roof mounted a/c
Independent suspension

Best price so far is circa $27k

geez would be fantastic to have air conditioning when camping -awesome luxury! i want it too when i make my fortune. Does anyone know of any old fashioned remedys for cleaning mould out of canvas or ripstop when damaged? The reason is i like lots of second hand goods but unfortunately not canvas thanks to the pungent memorys of my teens. All old tents smell to some extent, I'd say it all comes down to how the tent is looked after.. Never say never as they say. especially if i could get some tent repair and cleaning feedback from the myswag members?

back to my dream of airconditioned tenting.. and not about one of the $200 Crazy clarkes portable aircon models hehe more like the wife and a giant fan!!
kev