Author Topic: Advice required on Cameron Corner trip  (Read 5632 times)

Offline JohngQld447

• Tent User
Advice required on Cameron Corner trip
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:10:03 PM »
Hi Guys,
              I'm planning a trip to Cameron's Corner late April into May. From Caboolture we'll head out to Goondiwidi then down the Newal to Coonabarraban for our first overnight stop.
 Next day onto Cobar for the second overnight stop. The third day out to Broken Hill and an overnighter. The next day, it is up to Tibooburra. Has anyone done this trip recently that can give me an a better idea of the road conditions. We are going to leave the Jayco at Tibooburra and drive out to Cameron's Corner for the day. The best info I have is that there is fuel available at Milparinka and Tj's Roadhouse. Is there fuel at Tibooburra? The Jayco is a standard Hawk and on the front is the Nissan Xtrail, planning on a couple of jerry cans of extra fuel. Out of the 330 Klm how much of it is the red dirt road I've seen by pictures?

Really appreciate any help.

John
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:59:15 PM by JohngQld447 »
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel
2012 Jayco Hawk Kakadu Annexe

Offline micko58

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Advice required on Cameron's Corner trip
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »
mate we came back from camerons corner last sept to tibooburra, plenty of fuel there, the road from camerons corner to tibooburra was rough as guts we were in a patrol towing a campomatic, but well worth it.

Offline Andymac

• Swag User
  • Life's not a dress rehearsal.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »
John,

We did it in Sept 2011 and the road was rough but very doable. Having just come off a tough trip down the Bore Track from Innaminka it felt like the Hume Hwy to us.

Fuel at Tibooburra and Cameron Corner. Dirt all the way from memory. Take care at crests because the road often veers left or right down the other side unexpectedly.

We were towing an Outback Jayco Eagle towed by petrol Pajero.
2004 NP Pajero
2005 Jayco Eagle OB

Offline jasonw

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:35:09 AM »
dont throw the ball for the dog  ;D

when we got to camerons corner a dog walked up to the mrs and dropped a ball so naturally she threw it for him, when we went inside the lady behind the bar went off saying "didnt you see the sign's and the note on his collar" well no we just pulled up and the signs were on the other side of the carpark. 
jimboomba excalaber camper

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:01:38 AM »
Mate, done those roads a few times and they can change dramatically in condition from one week to the next.  I've been to the corner with heaps of deep sand and ruts and another time all the sand had been blown off the road.  I advised somebody else just recently on here to phone the publican at Tibooburra and the store at Cameron Corner.  Both have been helpful to me in the past and offered accurate info.

Fuel at Tibooburra and the corner.  Lots of interesting historical sites to visit at Milparinka and worth allowing a couple of hours to explore.

BTW, it is Cameron Corner, not Camerons or Cameron's.

Good luck
KB

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »
We came up the Silver City Highway from Broken Hill to Tiboorburra at the end of December last year in a Cherokee towing an Odyssey.  Road was in good shape at that time, although north of Tiboorburra the NSW section up to the dog fence wasn't nearly as good as the Qld section through to Euro and Thargomindah.

Two filling stations at Tiboorburra: suggest you tank up there as last time we came through Camerons they were out of diesel - don't know if they ever run out of unleaded.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline JohngQld447

• Tent User
Re: Advice required on Cameron Corner trip
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »
Hi guys,
           Thanks to everyone for the replies, the more info you have, the better it should be. My plan is still to leave the Jayco at Tibooburra and just do a day trip out to the corner. My biggest concern I think is the unsealed parts of the Silver City Hwy, but I'm sure with the number of people that travel it (wet conditions aside) it shouldn't be to much of a problem. KB, I changed the thread topic to reflect the correct name.

John
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel
2012 Jayco Hawk Kakadu Annexe

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
Silver City HWY looks like this.

Just keep the speed down and you will be fine.

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:29:09 PM »
Travel through there September last year, Silver City highway seemed half dirt and bitumen. I'd suggest a stop at Pack Saddle which has powered sites found them very friendly. Found the road in Sturt National park very poor(very rutted). Tiboorbura caravan park seemed unsure of how many empty sites they have, you book in at the Caltex and then drive to the park with no on site management. :police: People who came in after us couldn't find powered sites.
Cat slave