Author Topic: camping bunks  (Read 18152 times)

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
camping bunks
« on: February 08, 2013, 07:12:22 PM »
I was after some advice from seasoned travellers.

I have 3 young kids and plan on heading around Aus in the next 12 months or so. We have a soft floor camper and was thinking of getting 2 sets of camping beds that can flat pack and be stored up on top of the main mattress when in transit.

So...what brands of camping bunks have people found that need minimal assembly at setup time?

Offline UR-50-LO

• Tent User
Re: camping bunks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
I use 2 sets of outdoor connection beds.
Good solid bunks that fold flat and assemble with only a few pieces...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:23:55 PM by UR-50-LO »

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
These don't fold flat,I keep mine under the floor but they are super fast to set up. Think camp chair quick.http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Wanderer-Easy-Out-Camp-Stretcher-Single.aspx?pid=131832#Cross
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:28 PM »
We are looking at these ones. Have been recommended in othe threads and only have 10 pieces.

This is where I found the best price.

http://www.greatescapecamping.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Bunks
 ;D
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline timneva

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado GXL and Cub CT
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:08:39 PM »
We've got these ones http://au.oztent.com/products/viewProduct.asp?productid=159 but there's plenty of similar ones in other brands available at different prices. Takes about 2 minutes to set each one up and our kids do it themselves. Heaps easier than some of the bunks if you have the room.
Not sure if they'd flat pack on top of a soft floor mattress, but definitely pack up compact to store in the trailer section easily and if you're heading around oz would be a pretty comfy option.

Good luck!

Offline r0ssrg

• Tent User
  • Oz Lap begins 15/06/2013
    • XCape to our Aussie adventure
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
We had the Double bunk ones when we camped in a tent.  That was bc.   Before Camper.   I hated them.

They are a right pita.  It was something else that I had to do and my list was too damn long anyway. Might only be a few poles but was painful stretching the material so everything would come together.

We have two kids and use these.

www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-and-Hike/Sleep/Deluxe-Padded-Stretcher-XL#90007196001

We Have friends with three kids,.they use the same ones based on the arguments my wife and I would have with the bunks.

Their ct is an extender , that extra length makes it all work.

Rossco
Follow us on :  www.xcape.com.au   www.facebook.com/XcapeAustralia

Nissan Navara 2008 STX.  TJM 2in Lift kit, TJM Canopy, TJM Bash Plate, TJM Snorkel, Deep Cycle Gel Aux battery.  Plus Rhino Roof racks, BFG All Terrains.

Modcon 2008 Overlander.

Offline r0ssrg

• Tent User
  • Oz Lap begins 15/06/2013
    • XCape to our Aussie adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:15:37 PM »
BTW,  we do fold ours up and place on the bed for packing up.  Nice and easy.

Rossco
Follow us on :  www.xcape.com.au   www.facebook.com/XcapeAustralia

Nissan Navara 2008 STX.  TJM 2in Lift kit, TJM Canopy, TJM Bash Plate, TJM Snorkel, Deep Cycle Gel Aux battery.  Plus Rhino Roof racks, BFG All Terrains.

Modcon 2008 Overlander.

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »
thanks for the tips...looking into the outdoor connection fold away bunks.

anyone looking for an oztrail bunk? premature to sell it as its way buried in my camper.

trust me..they are brilliant..if you have the time and patience to set them up.

Offline speedcomm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »
Arrrghh Oztrail bunks, still have nightmares about putting them together  ;D
Be good for long stints in one place maybe, suckfull for anything else...
2.8L Prado. Jayco Eagle OB.

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
We bought the Oztrail double bunks and completely agree with the above comments...bastard of a thing to set up and dangerous if you dont dynabolt the bottom bunk to a concrete slab.

http://www.oztrail.com.au/WebPage.gtl?Product=FBS-DB-B?currentgroup=ZZZ013?currentsubgroup=BED?currentsubsubgroup=BUNKS

However, once we figured out that we could leave the bed part set up and just attach the legs things got a lot easier. We now leave the frame and "matress" part permanently set up and just chuck them on top of the main matress as part of the pack up. The stands/connections for the legs just fold up flat too. Then, set up just involves twisting the leg connections 90 degrees and slipping on the legs....takes 5 seconds each end tops. Actually makes 2 beds very quickly.

Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:55:07 PM »
I wouldn't want to use bunks on anything except a dead flat surface, and even then I'd be concerned unless the person in the top bunk stayed perfectly still - particularly if the bottom bunk was empty.

Depending on the age of the kids you'd be better putting 1, 2 or all 3 in a separate tent so they each have their own stretcher bed - if they are too young for that then get a double size bed and get them all to sleep together.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline Hefty

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
We've got some that are like the Oztrail ones. I think they're made by Coleman but I can't find them under that brand when I search atm.
As they are, if you want to use them as double bunks, yes, they're a PITA but as singles, as Westvic pointed out, you can just rotate the leg joiners up flat in the bed frame and leave them assembled.
I'm planning to modify mine (with the help of a fitter and turner mate) so that the uprights between the two bed frames sleeve on the outside of joiners in both the top and the bottom frame, instead of being one solid piece that both frames must be assembled around. This way I can do the same thing (rotate the leg joiners) with both bed frames and still be able to use them easily as bunks.
Then I'll just drill and 'R' clip them top and bottom so if the kids muck around they can't pop the frame of the upright.

Might have to take photos of the mod for all the others who are pulling their hair out with this style of bunk.

Cheers!
Jono.
"Roads?!...Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 09:04:56 AM »

Thought I would add a few pictures to show what most others have done

Set up

Close up of white rivet, circled in red  (used white rivet as that was what was handy)  only took 4 rivets, one each end of safety rails

Legs removed and folded over.  It remains as one piece (+ legs) and doesn't fall apart

2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: Bigfish

Offline Socks

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • New to all this ........
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »
We just purchased bunks for the munchkins like the ones in Jonesy's pics but spinufex brand I think. Just showed the other half and we are now off to Bunnings to get what we need to be able to set them up as shown in Jonesy's pics.  :D
Weso's SWMBO
3 munchkins

Nissan Navara 2008 D22 & Leisure Matters hard floor Ranger

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »
Jonesy that's brilliant!

I think I can set my pair of bunks up like that too - what a time saver - more drinking time (oops, I mean family time).

Does it fit on a double bed or do you need a Queen size?
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »
I need a single bunk and all the ones I have tried are crap. What I am after is what I use to use overseas as a kid  It was a ex US army one. Bulky but bloody comfortable.
 :cheers:
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 07:18:22 AM »
We have these from BCF.
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Wanderer-Kids-Easy-Out-Stretcher-Blue.aspx?pid=327019&menuFrom=20106#Combo
They fold up easy and take no space in camper.
Being shorter than normal length is good for kids.
I was a bit concerned about them not having something which keeps them open firmly, but has not been a problem as yet.
They are blue or pink, but no mattress available for them. Hasn't bothered our munckins, we just use the sleeping bag for a mattress.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 08:20:09 AM »
I'm not taking credit for the idea. I saw it at the Vacation Campers display at Caulfield last year.

Fits on a queen bed, not sure about double. It is 1600mm wide, if you remove the safety rail it will still stay together and be a touch under 1500, just more loose pieces.

Alternately you could pull off the bottom canvas and poles and fold the legs towards the middle. A bit fiddly but a bit easy then starting from scratch.

I suppose you could cut the uprights and put a sleeve over it so they sir atop each other.

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
The last time we headed out, my wife pipes up and suggested the process Jonesy had. So the oztrail bunks and the Outdoor Connection bunks co-exist happily.

One thing I did was add rubber stoppers to the bottom poles. Call me pedantic, I dont want them the wear through the canvass bed bag when we are on corrugations.

Offline Socks

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
On another note but still related to these bunks , what do people use for linen or do yu just stick with a sleeping bag? Do fitted single sheets fit?
Weso's SWMBO
3 munchkins

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »
Jimc, I was about to add that today I went and bought stoppers for mine for the very same reason for the upcoming Anzac weekend.

Socks the kids just use sleeping bags in top of Aldi self inflating mats.

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »
My wife is in process of making big flannelette pillow cases for each of the self inflating hiking matresses.

Offline Socks

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
I put the camp bunks together today. The double bunk was a pain in the bum so I'm super happy that Jonesy posted on here the process he used so that the set up is only a one off. They will sit on top of the main bed when we aren't camping and when we are the set up will on,y take a few minutes. Thanks heaps Jonesy for sharing :)
Weso's SWMBO
3 munchkins

Offline UR-50-LO

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
Our kids love their bunks.
They are often asking for a lounge room camp out lol
They usually have their sleeping bags but this was taken in the peak of summer (hence the open window & it being an early night for them)

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
No probs.  I took the photos and posted the same day.  I thought it was much easier than messing around for a 1/2+ hour each time.
Used them over the anzac weekend for the test run.  Lift off the bed, unfold upside down, pop on the legs on, turn it the right way up. 1 minute setup without exagerating