Author Topic: advice, looking to buy my first CT  (Read 3628 times)

Offline bodge007

• Learning the Ropes
advice, looking to buy my first CT
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
Hello Gurus

I am looking at buying my first CT and would like to know everyones thoughts. I have a large family, 8 in total and would like as much bang for my buck as possible. Looking to spend between 6 - 7 thousand. Currently looking at Market Direct Campers??????. Advice please, as there is so much out there. Thanks in advance

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: advice, looking to buy my first CT
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Hey Bodge,

Thats a big crew to drag around.

The big 23ft tent should sleep you all, but you'll be carrying a kite load of canvas to give yourselves some room.

If you go to the home page and search MDC's you will get varying feedback, some good, some not so.

Where are you planning on taking it? And how do you move your crew around?

Cheers Nomad.
 :cheers:

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
how old are the kids??
might be 100000000% easier to have some in the trailer, and the older (if there teens) in tents in their own space.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
mate you need a holiday house, not a trailer :)

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »
For the price you will be better off with a quality used CT than a Chinese piece of crap. Check out eBay.
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
mate you need a holiday house, not a trailer :)
Or a TV, probably a bit late for that  ;D
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
advice, looking to buy my first CT
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:52:24 AM »
Bloody Nora, what a tribe. I'm currently waiting to take possession of a Central Coast Camper. The owner Terry is a good man to deal with. He will make alteration to suit your needs.

The only time I have come across a large family in a camper has a GIC. The tent size including add on rooms accommodate this large family with ease, but it was a lot if canvas to be carting around.

GOOD LUCK

'shakey'

Offline mrw63

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »
Hi there, only just joined the forum, but thought I would search MDC! 

We purchased one in September last year, and the for money it is good value.  There are a couple of things we had to do like like fixing the reflectors as they were stuck on with adhesive foam stuff which fell off as we got it home!
When we first put the sides of the annex up we noticed a 'punched' hole it took 3 weeks for someone to actually acknowledge my email and all they sent out was some glue to fill it in, so much for warranty!  I got the feeling that they got the sell and that is it, no back-up service!

We have since removed all branding from the CT!  We don't want to advertise for them  :laugh:

The only other thing that we don't use unless washing up is the 80L water tank, we have flushed through 4 or 5 times and there is still black stuff coming out of it, not good quality.

All in all you get what you pay for, and it has got us on the road. 

Oh yeah and we have also added an outside tap too.
2009 Mitsi Pajero NT GLS, 2015 Lifestyle Breakaway Icon and Oztent RV-4

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:07:43 AM »
Don't get too hung up on buying something new off eBay but look at some 2nd hand models near where you live. We have a large tent which if you use bunks you could potentially house all of your clan. The best thing about a decent quality but basic ct is all the things you can add over time. The market direct campers come with all the bells and whistles but how well are they put together and will it let you down? Also when you find the one you want get a demo on how to set them up as a big tent can be a bit of work to get setup. I am still trying to work out mine ;D

KingBilly

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
Firstly, welcome to the tribe.  I'm with Lost on this one.  For such a large family I would think a good second hand, quality CT would be the best option for your first purchase if you have a limited budget.  Put the older kids into tents which are relatively cheap and they will be happy.  To put up a CT, which will house you all, would require two sites at most CPs, so a smaller CT and a couple of tents would only take up the same space.

Good luck with your searching.  I look forward to reading of your adventures.

Happy camping
KB

Offline reddave

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
I have 4 kids, so 6 of us in total.

The 3 younger kids sleep on stretchers on the floor, the oldest in a tent/swag outside.

We bought a "very" cheap secondhand camper off eBay and then after 12 months, cut it all up and built our own.

I wouldnt buy a new camper again unless the price tag matched after seeing first hand what actually goes into the build process
Attempting to live a dream

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »
You need to think about your family "setup"

What will be quicker and easier.
What suits YOU.

Setting up a 21/23 ft tent and its additional annex/rooms.
Setting up a smaller CT with ancillary tents/etc
Will the kids sleep in swags?
How long are you staying put? A large CT tent is ok if you are staying for multiple days, but a pita if on the move.

I have had no problems getting suitable Park sites for our Ezytrail with a 21ft CT tent, but you need to tell the park operator this when you book.  No problems if remote camping.

Your 5 to 7 grand MDC (or like) CT may get you what you want at a price you can afford, without the need for extra gear. Its not gonna be a  Trackabout, but will at least get you out there. Thats what its about, there are plenty out there using them quite happily (us included).

:cheers:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:07:35 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline BlueTME

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
For the price you will be better off with a quality used CT than a Chinese piece of crap. Check out eBay.

After looking at a whole heap of worn out and stinking lumps of other peoples problems that they were gettting rid of for who knows why, I bought a new Chinese one not from Ebay but Chinese parts put together here. And to tell you the truth We are very happy with our 1st CT.
99 LC 4.5 petrol hopefully pulling a skamper kamper soon