Author Topic: Risolene Head gasket sealer  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
Risolene Head gasket sealer
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
Not involved in this brand or anything
But for the past few months this stuff has been keeping our old Mazda 626 going.
Prior to that we were losing a litre of coolant per week (head gasket leaking) so took the punt and dumped some in and to my surprise it's still holding on. I just don't want to have to do the repair right now so this will keep it running till we decide to fix or junk it.

What's nice is that it's compatible with the existing coolant and not harmful to the hoses.

I thought it would be a handy thing to carry on a trip in case there's a cracked head or gasket leak, it will help keep the engine running and get you back to civilization. especially if your brand of 4WD is prone to this kind of thing

cheap insurance, I think it was around $50
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Risolene Head gasket sealer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:26:11 AM »
Good tip, every GQ on LPG owner should carry a can in their glovebox :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Risolene Head gasket sealer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:38:42 AM »
I'm a Chemiweld fan personally.  A mates father is a mechanic and put me onto the stuff.  Had an XD when I was 19 and the heater core had blown, which requires the dashboard to be removed.  Chemiweld fix lasted 2 years until I sold it, who knows how much longer it lasted.  Mum had a 77 3 series BMW with a leaky head gasket, mates father kept it going for 18 months with chemiweld before the head had to come off.
The downside is the stuff can wreak unbroken stuff like radiators, heater taps, clag up internals etc.  The above are probable extreme cases and I would only recommend it as a solution to get you out of strife.  If I had to use it on one of my current cars, I'd be doing a mega cooling system flush afterwards.
On long trips I always have a bottle in the back of the car.